C C BOOKING

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Just returned from the Caravan Club site at Chapel Lane and at 05:00 on Sunday morning (don't ask just needs a bit of fresh air after the night before ) there was at least 23 empty pitches. I think the site has 107 pitches so getting on for a quarter were empty at a site that the web pages said was full.

Were they all no shows and would paying a deposit have made a difference ?

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
TD42 said:
In 5 years of membership of the CC I have only ever managed 1 ,1 full week holiday for that reason never ever A fully free weekend allways fully booked on at least ONE day of the week end

I'm sorry TD42 I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Are you saying that in 5 years you've only managed 1 full week at a CC site?
If so why?
because either the sataday or sunday Or the fridays are allways booked up fully so I have not been able to book a full week or fortnight

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
TD42 said:
because either the sataday or sunday Or the fridays are allways booked up fully so I have not been able to book a full week or fortnight

I'm puzzled by that. I'm not saying you are telling porkies but I've rarely failed to book a site. We start caravanning in March and usually go until the beginning of November. For the last two years we haven't gone on any trips just for a weekend, it's not worth it. From memory we've never tried to get on one of the more popular sites in the school holidays that have already been mentioned in this and other posts with the exception of Longleat last year. It was a mistake. We booked up for the week after Easter not realising the kids were off for two weeks
smiley-frown.gif
Even then we had no problem booking.
We have friends who still work. The wife can book her holidays when she wants but when asked where she going away to this year she says she hasn't got around to booking her leave yet. When she does it will be a copy of last year. Moaning they cannot get in anywhere
smiley-yell.gif

On the other hand we have some other friends who are now out in Goa where they've been for almost 3 months. They are a bit more organised though because they booked up their sites before they left for Goa.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I have to agree with many of the comments on here. The simple fact is that the CC rules permit bookings to be cancelled without penalty more than 72 hours from the booking date.
This means 'you' can book as many sites as you wish and remain completely 'legal' as long as you cancel 72+ hours before the booking date, you will not show up as a no-show or be castigated for cancelling without good reason. It follows in order to beat the system (and get your summer weekends booked) people will be tempted to book for every possibility and cancel later. it is a catch 22 situation, even those with honest intentions may feel the need to do the same in order to guarantee getting a weekend booking.
Until the CC take this on board it this will always be a problem, doesn't matter which statistics are quoted back by the CC or anyone else, sites will always have more bookings made than actually wanted. The only other way around it is to look at the site you want LESS than 72 hours prior to when you want to go.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
TD42 said:
In 5 years of membership of the CC I have only ever managed 1 ,1 full week holiday for that reason never ever A fully free weekend allways fully booked on at least ONE day of the week end
TD42
I'd love to know the names of the sites where you have been thwarted?
I've already named three. Are there more
smiley-undecided.gif

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
TD42 said:
TD42
I'd love to know the names of the sites where you have been thwarted?
I've already named three. Are there more
smiley-undecided.gif

Look on the CC website and check the late availability. Apart form East Anglia, ( where everywhere is a comfortable day out from where I live ) and Scotland, you will find very few sites that can take a booking for 10 days or more.

Steve W

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Last week I booked 2 weeks at a CC site in August. The site has vacancies throughout the season and every weekend the site is open there are pitches available.
What this site doesn't have though is a shower block so it's only £10pn.with EHU.
The only club site we've booked this year with a shower block is Bolton Abbey in June and I see they have got some weekends free in July.
The problem lies with the CC having too many members chasing after too few pitches at just a few of the more popular sites that has already been mentioned. Maybe this is the reason for the site rises this year.
If I personally wasn't happy with the arrangements of the CC I simply wouldn't be a member and would use other private sites with the all singing/dancing facilities I crave. Another option is to join the C&CC which will widen your choice of sites.
Thankfully the cheapo club sites, CLs and deals at private sites satisfy us and there are many thousands likewise who aren't clamouring for Chatsworth, Clumber, Rowntree etc.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
steve w77 said:
Look on the CC website and check the late availability. Apart form East Anglia, ( where everywhere is a comfortable day out from where I live ) and Scotland, you will find very few sites that can take a booking for 10 days or more.

Steve W

Steve I assume you require sites with a shower block, childrens facilities or whatever because I've just looked at 3 sites we've visited before, all nice but no shower block, and you can go when you like. Cornwall, Mid Wales and Cumbria. I didn't bother looking for anywhere else. As I said in another post, I've just booked 2 continuous weeks in August.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
steve w77 said:
I think after 10 days with no shower block, the smell would put me off a bit.

Steve W
Sorry, I was just assuming, like most these days, that you'd have a shower in your van. I hope you've got a toilet.
If you talk to me nicely I'll lend you a sub to upgrade to a caravan with a shower and if you catch me in a good mood I might even buy you one of those tents with a mobile shower that tenters use
smiley-smile.gif

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
steve w77 said:
I think after 10 days with no shower block, the smell would put me off a bit.

Steve W
Sorry, I was just assuming, like most these days, that you'd have a shower in your van. I hope you've got a toilet.
If you talk to me nicely I'll lend you a sub to upgrade to a caravan with a shower and if you catch me in a good mood I might even buy you one of those tents with a mobile shower that tenters use
smiley-smile.gif

The vans brand new and has all the do dads that you could want, but when you are my size, it's much easier to use the sites facilities. That is why I joined both of these clubs, because they have got full facilities, I did not realise, that you only got a chance to use them once every ten years or so.

Steve W

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Many vans showers are simple wet rooms and water gets everywhere,and are generally just a token gesture and are not really suitable.
If you have a van with a seperate shower then thats brilliant , but perhaps that clouds your viewpoint.
Most caravaners i know only use their toilets at night for quick pee before bed and certainly never use it for anything else. If you are happy having a dump in it then so be it but you are in the minority.
If you have kids ( your probably fled the nest many years ago) then using the vans showers can be very problematic when its a wet room type.
You keep on referencing sites that have pitches available. They do and the reason is they dont have toilets or showers.Again , perhaps this clouds your viewpoint.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This is not a criticism and is not aimed at any forum member but a non caravanner stumbling across this forum and reading some of the posts could be forgiven for gaining the impression that Caravan Club members have some sort of toilet fixation.
smiley-undecided.gif

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Having read through this thread for the first time today, and being a member of the Caravan Club, I have to agree with a few points here.

I personally dont remember being asked for my opinion on deposits etc, but there is a possibility that I deleted the email before I read it. I dont understand why people are so against deposits, if they have honourable intentions of using the pitch they have booked, surely a deposit equal to 1 nights pitch fees isnt unreasonable.

I cant knock the quality of the sites I've used, which if Im honest isnt too many. Up until recently I've avoided CL sites, as I like a place with a bit of activity, however having recently stopped at a CL, I must say Im warming to them. However, when it comes to the CC owned sites, I dont find them competitive on price to be honest.

We Caravan all year round and (not including CL sites) Ive not managed to find a CC site that is actually cheaper than a privately owned site of a comparable standard in the same area, and in some cases they are more expensive than some privately owned sites with better facilities.

This begs the question of why am I paying £30 odd pounds per year membership, to pay MORE for a pitch????

The only advantage for me personally is the Mayday Breakdown Cover. If it werent for the fact that I think CC are the only place that offer this level of cover, I would have no reason to be a member.

We are relatively new to caravanning (in our 3rd year), and are trying to explore the UK as best we can, so we try to pick an area to explore, as opposed to wanting to stop at any particular site, and so far 9 out of 10 times, we havent booked a CC site, either because:

a: there isnt a site in the area we want to visit
b: there is a site but its booked up every weekend so we cant get a full weeks pitch
c: the site is not competitive on price compared to other sites.

If anyone could direct me to another source of breakdown cover that will offer the same level as Mayday, I wouldnt rejoin again.

None of the 'members offers' are of use to me (except breakdown), and I can subscribe to far better magazines than the one that occassionally drops through my letterbox

Rick

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Rick Stevens said:
Having read through this thread for the first time today, and being a member of the Caravan Club, I have to agree with a few points here.

I personally dont remember being asked for my opinion on deposits etc, but there is a possibility that I deleted the email before I read it. I dont understand why people are so against deposits, if they have honourable intentions of using the pitch they have booked, surely a deposit equal to 1 nights pitch fees isnt unreasonable.

I cant knock the quality of the sites I've used, which if Im honest isnt too many. Up until recently I've avoided CL sites, as I like a place with a bit of activity, however having recently stopped at a CL, I must say Im warming to them. However, when it comes to the CC owned sites, I dont find them competitive on price to be honest.

We Caravan all year round and (not including CL sites) Ive not managed to find a CC site that is actually cheaper than a privately owned site of a comparable standard in the same area, and in some cases they are more expensive than some privately owned sites with better facilities.

This begs the question of why am I paying £30 odd pounds per year membership, to pay MORE for a pitch????

The only advantage for me personally is the Mayday Breakdown Cover. If it werent for the fact that I think CC are the only place that offer this level of cover, I would have no reason to be a member.

We are relatively new to caravanning (in our 3rd year), and are trying to explore the UK as best we can, so we try to pick an area to explore, as opposed to wanting to stop at any particular site, and so far 9 out of 10 times, we havent booked a CC site, either because:

a: there isnt a site in the area we want to visit
b: there is a site but its booked up every weekend so we cant get a full weeks pitch
c: the site is not competitive on price compared to other sites.

If anyone could direct me to another source of breakdown cover that will offer the same level as Mayday, I wouldnt rejoin again.

None of the 'members offers' are of use to me (except breakdown), and I can subscribe to far better magazines than the one that occassionally drops through my letterbox

Rick

Look at the RAC Arrival, only available through the Camping & Caravan Club.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
This is not a criticism and is not aimed at any forum member but a non caravanner stumbling across this forum and reading some of the posts could be forgiven for gaining the impression that Caravan Club members have some sort of toilet fixation.
smiley-undecided.gif

You mean they haven't!!!!!

Steve W

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's summat going wrong here because this is the second time this week I find myself agreeing with you.

I don't bother with the big CC sites, we go for CL's. We only take the van away for two weeks now, the rest of the time we use it for long weekends where its situated.

Anyway, this year, we've found a lovely CL with hook up, a shower, couple of toilets, washing machine and free wifi for £10 per night. Suits us sir. Also,we've used private sites in the past, if they charge silly prices for dogs, or if they refuse dogs of a certain breed, i don't whinge about it, I just vote with my feet.
smiley-cool.gif

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
If you have a van with a seperate shower then thats brilliant , but perhaps that clouds your viewpoint.
Most caravaners i know only use their toilets at night for quick pee before bed and certainly never use it for anything else. If you are happy having a dump in it then so be it but you are in the minority.
If you have kids ( your probably fled the nest many years ago) then using the vans showers can be very problematic when its a wet room type.
You keep on referencing sites that have pitches available. They do and the reason is they dont have toilets or showers.Again , perhaps this clouds your viewpoint.

Spadders old bean if you scroll back to my above posts I was answering Steve W hence the reason I quoted what he had said
smiley-wink.gif

Now I will reply to yours hence the points I've quoted from your post ......
The reason I replied to Steve W is because from his past posts I would think he is in a similar situation to me with, yes, kids who have flown the nest. He answered my query about him using his shower so that was the end to it.
Yes, I have a seperate shower from the toilet but no, it wasn't clouding my viewpoint.
I can assure you that those who use their toilets for the purpose they were designed for aren't in the minority although I haven't done a dump survey (sorry Parksy). What you mustn't forget are the many people, as you will have seen on this forum, who only use CLs/CSs. There are thousands of ralliers and also CC and C&CC sites without shower blocks. Do you think people still traipse down to the bottom of the field with a shovel? Another point is that I cannot be blamed for you banning your family for using the toilet because it's not my fault you have a dicky stomach.
Your final point is, yes, three of the sites I mentioned didn't have shower blocks but originally that wasn't the issue. It was people complaining they couldn't get on CC sites at all. That is the reason I mentioned those three sites to Steve W.
I also mentioned Bolton Abbey but you chose to omit that one
smiley-wink.gif

What you must remember and should be grateful for is the fact that the many thousands of users of sites without showers like CLs/CSs, ralliers or private site users cannot be blamed for the reason you cannot get to Chatsworth.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
TD42 said:

I'm puzzled by that. I'm not saying you are telling porkies but I've rarely failed to book a site. We start caravanning in March and usually go until the beginning of November. For the last two years we haven't gone on any trips just for a weekend, it's not worth it. From memory we've never tried to get on one of the more popular sites in the school holidays that have already been mentioned in this and other posts with the exception of Longleat last year. It was a mistake. We booked up for the week after Easter not realising the kids were off for two weeks
smiley-frown.gif
Even then we had no problem booking.
We have friends who still work. The wife can book her holidays when she wants but when asked where she going away to this year she says she hasn't got around to booking her leave yet. When she does it will be a copy of last year. Moaning they cannot get in anywhere
smiley-yell.gif

On the other hand we have some other friends who are now out in Goa where they've been for almost 3 months. They are a bit more organised though because they booked up their sites before they left for Goa.

TD42
forumAnonymous.gif

user-online.png

perhaps I should add that I do not want to book a site months or even several weeks in advance & I do not caravan in the winter months.I want to go when the weather is acceptable to me.Like others say ,If it was'nt for May day & Red Pennant ,& I will admit no other cover,even C&CC can give the security & certanty of recovery of the caravan from abroad. I would not be a member

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
TD42 said:
perhaps I should add that I do not want to book a site months or even several weeks in advance & I do not caravan in the winter months.I want to go when the weather is acceptable to me.

Thank you TD42 for your explanation but I think you've answered yourself why you cannot book a site. I'm sure others would love to be able to choose when to go regarding the weather but sadly life isn't like that. Again sadly, I don't think you have too much of a complaint against the CC.
God just imagine the situation if everyone wanted to go when it's just nice weather. It would be even worse than now.
Life is so confusing. SpudDog who is an Aussie tells us in an earlier post us Poms don't complain enough yet Aussies in general call us whingeing Poms. I'm sure after a bit of time on this forum he'll be agreeing with his countrymen .... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
LB , cherry picking again.
There is a reason you can get on sites without a shower or toilet, it is because less people want to use them. facilities.

That is the clue...... its the lack of facilities.

More people want to sites with facillities .... old bean.

There are quite a few of us who would like to visit certain sites that have the facilities and location we want but find it difficult to get on due to the CC booking system.
Thats our choice, its our discussion, and every time it pops up, so do you, with your " i can get a pitch , but i dont want facilities" rubbish..
You found one site.Bolton Abbey ,, Whoppee,you must spend hours searching for pitches just to try to score a few points. This must drive you mad..

What i need is an LB ignore button.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
What i need is an LB ignore button.

Ditto.
It's now Spring and people should be happy and looking forward to the coming season but somehow your posts put me into a state of depression. And they call us Victor Meldrews
smiley-laughing.gif

Just for your info, if you care to read and ingest what I posted, I mentioned Bolton Abbey because it's the only club site we are using that has showers. That is why I checked that particular one.
smiley-wink.gif

Now get off to work and pay your taxes to keep me in the way I'm now accustomed to
smiley-smile.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our first caravan back in the 70s had no toilet as such. I bought a Porta Potti and a toilet tent. Very sophisticated. Wild camping was easy then. We kept ourselves clean, a good sponge down everyday including all the bits and pieces.
Like Philspadders does now, we worked very hard for many years and now enjoy a very comfortable caravan with a fully functional bathroom. YES. We do use the shower every day and the toilet gets used for both
smiley-smile.gif
Come on Phil ,
Do you really want to be at an overused toilet block, breathing in steamy, smelly fumes on a hot toilet seat with the blokes next to you playing Clark's Trumpet Voluntary.
smiley-laughing.gif
Yuk..
There is life after the CC sites you desire.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
LMH said:
There's summat going wrong here because this is the second time this week I find myself agreeing with you.
Lisa

smiley-surprised.gif
Go take a pill and lie down woman.

I printed off your other comment and framed it. It now has pride of place hanging above my puter alongside the Ol' Tykes
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts