C C BOOKING

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Last week we tried to book Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Moreton in Marsh, but Saturday was full. We then managed to get a booking on another nearby site. On driving past the CC site at about 4pm on Saturday, from the road we could identify at least several empty pitches and these were closest to the road so what ti was like further back i have no idea. This is not to say that they did not fill up as maybe ther were loads fo late arrivals on the Saturday but i ssupect this si unlikely.
As suggested, when booking your credit or debit card number should be taken taken and then if you do not arrive, the full amount deducted from your card. There could sometimes be an exception to the rule but it should be at the club's discrretion and backed up witb proof. If you give 48 hours or less notice, one night deducted. No deductions if 48 hours or more notice given.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Just looking at the many postings in many threads over the years there is one thing that is certain and that is whatever happens, deposits or no deposits, the ones who run the club ain't gonna win
smiley-wink.gif

Even by taking deposits isn't going to cure the 'full on weekends empty during the week' problem or guarantee that they'll get a weekend pitch. The most popular sites will still be booked up and full on the weekends throughout the year.
Just out of interest I've just had a look at Rowntree. Every weekend is booked until Dec 31st.
The ideal situation to stop those who complain is to make every single CC site a copy of Hillside or Rowntree but it isn't going to happen. Probably because apart from the money a high proportion of members wouldn't want that kind of site.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but surely the only "really fair" way to book sites is for everybody to have to pay for a full week, in advance, no matter if you only want one night!! That way there would be no no-shows (and no refunds, even if you were in hospital). Apart from the super-rich, of course, who could book a whole year at a time, then go the week they wanted) (Remove tongue from cheek)

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
philspot1 said:
I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but surely the only "really fair" way to book sites is for everybody to have to pay for a full week, in advance, no matter if you only want one night!! That way there would be no no-shows (and no refunds, even if you were in hospital). Apart from the super-rich, of course, who could book a whole year at a time, then go the week they wanted) (Remove tongue from cheek)

that may be an outlandish suggestion but acctually you know it not too far off the mark, ok so we are talking CC sites but if you look at commercials quite a few want money up front and it is accepted practice no one complains or they just dont book.
We are going to the peak district this year for 3 weeks instead of our usual jaunt down to cornwall, to keep the cost down considered using CLs and guess what not one in the area were going to have the full 3 weeks vacant a couple suggested we book in bits and come anyway as they usally have no shows so we might be ok. BUT if every one showed up we would have to vacate our pitch for 2 days and then come back YEAH no chance. so we booked on a small commercial instead for the whole 3 weeks.
with 25% payment on booking and then the rest of the pitch fees 28days in advance of our stay in case of a cancellation this must be done 14days in advance or the whole lot is forfiet even then the deposit is lost. at first this seemed unfair but it is a business there in afterall if the club did something similar I am sure it would cut down no shows dramaticaly it would not stop weekend only bookings but it would stop pitches being left vacant.
colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well like LB I have managed to book 1 site per month for each month from May to October staying 10 days per trip, not sure what next year will be like with the games being held.
Why some sites are so fully booked at weekends , I put it down to the very large local populations. Their are far better clubs in Derbyshire, than the one mentioned , only stayed their once never again to many sheep in the grounds of the house for our liking.
Not sure I like the idea of paying a deposite , for each trip out, why penalize the honest camper, if people fail to turn up make them pay for the complete weekend at the time of booking.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
its not just a case of no shows, its repeat cancellers. This that book sites then cancel them at short notice as they decide to go somewhere else or their plans change. Its easy to change when it does not cost anything.

I love Chatsworth, Bakewell, Monyash, Ashbourne, Gt Longstone Stony Middleton, etc , all served by Chatsworth, but can i get on ?. Not a chance , when its was totally booked up by 4.0pm on Black Wednesday.... I was at work and dont have internet access until i get home at night.

And dont anyone tell me that there are other sites, as i dont give a damn. I want to stay at Chatsworth.
smiley-cry.gif

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Philspadders said:
its not just a case of no shows, its repeat cancellers. This that book sites then cancel them at short notice as they decide to go somewhere else or their plans change. Its easy to change when it does not cost anything.

I love Chatsworth, Bakewell, Monyash, Ashbourne, Gt Longstone Stony Middleton, etc , all served by Chatsworth, but can i get on ?. Not a chance , when its was totally booked up by 4.0pm on Black Wednesday.... I was at work and dont have internet access until i get home at night.

And dont anyone tell me that there are other sites, as i dont give a damn. I want to stay at Chatsworth.
smiley-cry.gif

Well said Phil I totally agree with you the club system is clearly failing the members and needs to be changed. I wonder how many bookings would be made on Black Wednesday if deposits or payment in full was required at time of booking. Because I can only get Brown Moor for three nights after Easter Weekend and had to book a commercial site for Easter and pay in full at time of booking proves the point. At least at peak times payment in full should be required and watch the pitches become available.
Regards, Barry.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
smiley-cry.gif

Awwww don't cry Spadders old bean
smiley-cry.gif
see, you've started me orf now
smiley-frown.gif

At the end of the year just jog my memory and I will book Chatsworth for you. How about that then to cheer you up
smiley-laughing.gif

My generosity doesn't stretch as far as paying for you though
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Don't know what the fuss is about Chatsworth Losehill far better site. Last time we were on Chatsworth booked a service pitch “big mistake”, couldn't swing a cat round on the pitch, admittedly the grounds are superb but its only a 15 min drive from Losehill to Chatsworth. We only live an hour’s drive from both. If you are still desperate ring the site Thursday or Friday mornings at 9 am invariably you will get a cancellation.
NigelH

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Heethers said:
Don't know what the fuss is about Chatsworth Losehill far better site. Last time we were on Chatsworth booked a service pitch “big mistake”, couldn't swing a cat round on the pitch, admittedly the grounds are superb but its only a 15 min drive from Losehill to Chatsworth. We only live an hour’s drive from both. If you are still desperate ring the site Thursday or Friday mornings at 9 am invariably you will get a cancellation.
NigelH

That of course is you opinion, some of us would like to find out for ourselves. As for cancellations, I will not drive 140 miles to a site, on the chance that they may have a no show on Friday & Saturday, only to find that I have to move to a different site when everybody arrives as booked.

Steve W

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
steve w77 said:
Heethers said:
If you are still desperate ring the site Thursday or Friday mornings at 9 am invariably you will get a cancellation.
NigelH

As for cancellations, I will not drive 140 miles to a site, on the chance that they may have a no show on Friday & Saturday, only to find that I have to move to a different site when everybody arrives as booked.

Steve W

Steve I believe Heethers said ring. He didn't mention about driving there in hope.
When I went there I noticed the fully service pitches and thought the same as Heethers.
I've been once but wont be going back. As I've said before, I can't understand why people rave over it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
steve w77 said:
Heethers said:
NigelH

That of course is you opinion, some of us would like to find out for ourselves. As for cancellations, I will not drive 140 miles to a site, on the chance that they may have a no show on Friday & Saturday, only to find that I have to move to a different site when everybody arrives as booked.

Steve W
Ah Steve
Ever the doubter
smiley-wink.gif
. Trust an old dog like me. Chatsworth really isn't worth the hassle nor is it particularly pleasant at wash time.
By all means try and go but I bet you don't go again. Losehill, Grinlow are far more rewarding and no further from the delights of the Peak District.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Spadders
Have you seen this?Thanks for registering your interest in taking part in The Caravan Club’s Member Research Panel.
I've only just discovered the CC are running a "professionally" run survey to establish exactly whatthe members want. See their web site.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
steve w77 said:
Heethers said:
If you are still desperate ring the site Thursday or Friday mornings at 9 am invariably you will get a cancellation.
NigelH

Steve I believe Heethers said ring. He didn't mention about driving there in hope.
When I went there I noticed the fully service pitches and thought the same as Heethers.
I've been once but wont be going back. As I've said before, I can't understand why people rave over it.

Ringing is alright, if you only want to book for a weekend. I want to go for 10---14 days, but I never can because like Rowntree Park, it is permanently booked every weekend.

May be it is just me, but am I the only person that wants to go places for more than three days at a time, or has everybody got that much money they can afford to keep going back home and start all over again.

Steve W

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
steve w77 said:
May be it is just me, but am I the only person that wants to go places for more than three days at a time, or has everybody got that much money they can afford to keep going back home and start all over again.

Steve W

No you're not. We never go for weekends now we have both finished work. Too much trouble. It's a week or nothing but preferably longer
smiley-smile.gif

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
In 5 years of membership of the CC I have only ever managed 1 ,1 full week holiday for that reason never ever A fully free weekend allways fully booked on at least ONE day of the week end

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
TD42 said:
In 5 years of membership of the CC I have only ever managed 1 ,1 full week holiday for that reason never ever A fully free weekend allways fully booked on at least ONE day of the week end

I'm sorry TD42 I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Are you saying that in 5 years you've only managed 1 full week at a CC site?
If so why?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
TD42 said:

I'm sorry TD42 I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Are you saying that in 5 years you've only managed 1 full week at a CC site?
If so why?

That's exactly what I am saying.
Unless you want to go to some god forsaken part of ther country, you can never seem to get a site that can let you stay for more than Sunday afternoon to Friday morning.
That's why I have stopped using them at all, I go to a decent commercial site in the same area.
Never mind, if the CC can do with out my money, ( Site fees & membership ) so be it, I can't say I will miss it much.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In an ideal world, caravanner's would choose a site and arrive without pre booking, but because there are more caravanners than sites, and certain areas are more popular than others, then a pre-booking system is an obvious means of avoiding disappointment.

There is no regulation or code of practice about how caravan site bookings should be made save they must conform to normal commercial contract and advertising laws. The site must provide what they say, and it must be fit for purpose. Distance selling regulations may apply depending on how the booking is made. Whilst it may seem clear that the site must comply with contract law, it is sometimes forgotten that the customer also has to comply.

If you agree to use a site, then you are obliged to pay all fees unless you conform to what ever cancellation or non attendance clauses are contained in the terms and conditions

Because there is no statutory format for the booking arrangements each site owner/operator can make their own rules up with regards deposits, and cancellations. However due to the nature of competition in the industry, there will some similarities in the terms and conditions, as no-one business would like to appear to be disadvantaging potential customers.

Clearly where sites wish to be allied to a particular club, then they usually have to adopt a corporate booking process, such as the CC's

Now it could be argued that the current CC booking process discriminates against certain members by virtue of the fact that it allows unscrupulous members to block book, which prevents other members the opportunity to book sites. Where this occurs and the sites are not taken up, not only is it unfair to other members but it also reduces the CC's income. This indirectly increases costs for all members as sites need to charge more to cover the cost of no shows.

Site operators should charge full costs to all no shows, best managed by a large deposit or even full site fees up front. Yes there may be a cancellation process, probably on a sliding scale where the proportion of the fees refunded diminishes to wards zero for up to a week before the start of the hire period. Even chargeable if the pitch is re-let.

Caravanner's may wish to take out holiday insurance for which documentary evidence (doctors note etc) may be needed to claim back for any genuine reason they cannot take advantage of their holiday plans, just like any other holiday.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts