Cadac - Any tips or recipes?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We love our Cadac and use it lots. We use a 2m hose without problem as it gets us far away enough from the awning so it doesn't get fat spatters.
An essential Cadac acessory is the hat. As modelled by tukums. Generally a brimmed hat often of the leather or Tilley variety.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You said you are getting a new caravan and every new van we have bought has come with a bag of small bits and pieces including a gas connector ours always are about 1.5 inches long, shiny silver and look like a small pipe with grooves on the outside, might be worth checking when you collect your van

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Think Woodsieboy is talking about one of these, same as mine
BBQ%20GAS%20POINT%20CONNECTOR_zpsayucsscg.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Beehpee said:
I use a Cadac every time we're away in caravan for cooking breakfasts and all sorts of food for evening meals plus regular BBQ, I went down the route of getting the connector for caravan outside tap thinking it would save carrying another gas bottle, I think I used it once and then abandoned the idea completely, when you come to use the cadac if your connector on van is same side as awning you either BBQ in awning, risk to life from fumes! or you use a gas bottle, it's not a good idea to simply use a much longer hose to get cadac out of the awning as this in itself presents problems, such as trip hazard from the hose plus gas pressure drop if the hose is too long, I think cadac specify a maximum hose length that is safe to use, another problem even if you can position cadac out of the awning is that your still restricted as to position and it makes life much easier if your free to position it where you want so as to be in best location to avoid wind, the connector I bought was consigned to the waste bin after its one and only use.

BP

I started a thread on this a while back and as the cadac is not an actual BBQ it was decided that as it is gas and runs the same as your hob in the van it could be used in the awning.
I havent done so though :)

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Kev, I understand your reasoning about it being the same as the gas hob but don't think I'd fancy putting it to the test, going by your reasoning if you take any gas BBQ available that doesn't use charcoal or the fake charcoal stuff lots of them incorporate into the cooking area then every one of them is the same as the hob in the caravan surely, I doubt very much in a drafty awning, cooking on any type of BBQ would kill you but the smell, the smoke and the possible fat splashes would rule it out for me regardless, I think I'll stick to cooking out in the open or under the pop up gazebo during more inclement weather, with my cooking apron on and a tinny in one hand and a BBQ fork in the other.

BP

PS I don't think your advocating the use of Cadac or anything else in awning so not having a pop

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
In the years BC (Before Caravanning) we had a family frame tent which had a section used as a kitchen, in which we did the cooking on a double gas stove. No real ventilation in the tent. :eek:hmy:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
In the years BC (Before Caravanning) we had a family frame tent which had a section used as a kitchen, in which we did the cooking on a double gas stove. No real ventilation in the tent. :eek:hmy:

And we had a trailer tent with a gas hob, grill and sink unit also intended for use within the awning area of the trailer tent.
Mel

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I just drop whichever side of the awning the rain isn't coming in and Cadac in the dry or use our single/double burner out there as well depending on the meal. As long as things are ventilated I don't see there's a problem.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Beehpee said:
Hi Kev, I understand your reasoning about it being the same as the gas hob but don't think I'd fancy putting it to the test, going by your reasoning if you take any gas BBQ available that doesn't use charcoal or the fake charcoal stuff lots of them incorporate into the cooking area then every one of them is the same as the hob in the caravan surely, I doubt very much in a drafty awning, cooking on any type of BBQ would kill you but the smell, the smoke and the possible fat splashes would rule it out for me regardless, I think I'll stick to cooking out in the open or under the pop up gazebo during more inclement weather, with my cooking apron on and a tinny in one hand and a BBQ fork in the other.

BP

PS I don't think your advocating the use of Cadac or anything else in awning so not having a pop

Hi Beehpee, didnt cross my mind you were having a pop buddy. But as with yourself my mind set is the same as yours regards smell etc.
The reason I asked in the first place was last year we had the kids and grand children visit us during hurricane Katy, There was no way i was going outside so decided to take them to the onsite pub to eat but oh no the whole camp site and surrounding area's had a massive power cut!! Those back up tins of hot dogs in the cupboard saved the day and the kids loved it :)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
KeefySher said:
Beehpee said:
I use a Cadac every time we're away in caravan for cooking breakfasts and all sorts of food for evening meals plus regular BBQ, I went down the route of getting the connector for caravan outside tap thinking it would save carrying another gas bottle, I think I used it once and then abandoned the idea completely, when you come to use the cadac if your connector on van is same side as awning you either BBQ in awning, risk to life from fumes! or you use a gas bottle, it's not a good idea to simply use a much longer hose to get cadac out of the awning as this in itself presents problems, such as trip hazard from the hose plus gas pressure drop if the hose is too long, I think cadac specify a maximum hose length that is safe to use, another problem even if you can position cadac out of the awning is that your still restricted as to position and it makes life much easier if your free to position it where you want so as to be in best location to avoid wind, the connector I bought was consigned to the waste bin after its one and only use.

BP

Which is perfect reason to use a 'porch' Air Awning, in order for 1- that useful outside space to be used to enhance your cooking experience with the cadac, 2 - that area can be leeward or provide a windbreak saving carrying yet more junk against your allowable payload, 3 - enhance the vista from the lounge without looking out on an inside of an awning :p :p

I'm sure there are more noxious odours permeating a caravan after a night on the booze and curry, within the caravan than outside in the open from the cadac :p :p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts