Calling all 09/59 reg Honda Cr-V Owners

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I've been the satisfied owner of Cr-V's now over the last 7 years but now I've got a problem with my latest one. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The problem is a noise, almost exclusively between 1500 and 2000 rpm and when under load, that my dealer is suggesting is an induction noise i.e. the air intake for the engine. It's not really a roaring noise, more like a rushing noise. For those a bit longer in the tooth (like me!) it's very similar to the noise you could experience on very high mileage rear wheel drive vehicles from the rear axle; only it's coming from the front. In fact the noise seems to be travelling up the gear lever. I've been experiencing it since I had 500 miles on the clock but then I did pussyfoot the engine for those first 500 miles so wouldn't have experienced it before then.

When driving solo it's only there when accelerating fairly hard but when towing it's very annoying. It's right in the rev range that seems to be used nearly all the time and it's always under load.

My dealer acknowledges that there is a noise but tells me there is no other cases known to Honda and is reluctant to just start slapping new bits on without knowing the cause. He's having it back in next week for more investigation but I'd like to know if the problem is unique to my vehicle or not. I have already had a test drive in a similar vehicle with 15000 miles on the clock which didn't have the noise.

Any comments or info would be gratefully received.

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi, my 07 CRV developed a noise and it was caused by low hydraulic oil level, something to do with the 4 wheel drive system, the car had only done 10k miles at the time.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris, thanks for replying. My dealer has already changed that fluid twice, they drained it out then realised the spec had been changed by honda and they didn't have any in stock. They put the old spec fluid in for a couple of days then changed it again when they got some of the new in.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Some owners have reported poor gear changes, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Have you checked the turbo hoses for tightness, maybe pulling in out exhausting air on a loose hose?

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Presumably you are talking about the 2.2 diesel? We are now on our third Honda with this engine (one Accord and two CRVs) and have not had any such problems. On all the cars there has been an engine ratttle or knocking at between about 2000 - 2200 rpm, so I now accept this as a characteristic of the engine. Our previous CRV had the fairly common hydraulic problem which caused a groaning noise on tight lock but this was cured by the dealer flushing the rear (or was it the front?) diff. This was done FOC though the car was over three years by then. The only 'problem' I have is that I find the steering a bit heavy.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi V.meldrew2, yes guess I should have said it's the 2.2 diesel!

Like you, I've experienced the groan on both my previous cr-v's so know it's not that. Thanks for posting though.

Ray, I'll give that a try.

Just out of curiosity, I'm averaging about the 40mpg on solo long runs. Is anyone getting much better? I used to get 45mpg in my previous one which was an '06 reg.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tony, is it the new i-DTEC or the i-CTDI? They are completely different engines.

The one time I experienced an induction roar on a turbo diesel (not a Honda) was after a service - the induction hose which had been detached from the intercooler to get easier access to the filter had been left off.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hello Alan, it's the i-CTDI. I've already checked the turbo pipes and they seem ok. Not too accessible though so if there was a split I may not see it. All clips are secure though.

Thanks for posting

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tony

Sounds like some kind of induction noise around max torque or near full boost, look around the air filter box and check for seating on the air filter and clips engaged, check for any holes in the box or trucking. I did have a similar noise from my Nissan Terrano many years ago with a poorly seated KNN filter that was a early prototype and slightly small.

I have the 07 CRV Diesel and had the axle oil issue fixed under warrenty but thats all and I think the CRV is an excellent vehicle.

You will find it normal to get a slight crackle under load from the engine at the speeds you mention and this can be improved with best quality fuel, like Shell Extra or BP ultimax , the supermarket fuel seems poorer with less mileage. I normally get 42mpg solo and 25mpg towing 1300kg rather rapid.

Best Regards

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts