Calor Gas Again!

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

I've just picked up via a post on the Safefill Facebook group that Calor are discontinuing a number of their smaller cylinder sizes:

According to that link, cylinders to be discontinued are Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders. But don't worry, Calor tell us "If you need a specific cylinder size, there are other LPG cylinder options available, such as Campingaz. "

I've not been able to find any information yet on when the range simplifications starts, but hopefully I'll be able to get my Lite filled this weekend - and I'll find a local retailer to fill my brand-new Safefill soon.

Reactions: Echodale
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
...and I'll find a local retailer to fill my brand-new Safefill soon.
And in case anyone is wondering why I was daft enough to buy a Safefill without making sure I could fill it locally, my local BP garage have just installed a brand-new Autogas pump, so I was reasonably confident they were committed to LPG at least in the medium term. Unfortunately they've been expecting a delivery of gas "later today" for two weeks now, which makes me think it's not going to be as simple as I first thought.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And in case anyone is wondering why I was daft enough to buy a Safefill without making sure I could fill it locally, my local BP garage have just installed a brand-new Autogas pump, so I was reasonably confident they were committed to LPG at least in the medium term. Unfortunately they've been expecting a delivery of gas "later today" for two weeks now, which makes me think it's not going to be as simple as I first thought.
Not all Autogas suppliers will let you fill portable cylinders. Some are restricted by company or insurance policy, or local planning regulations might restricts them.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Flo-gas have a 4.5 kg butane cylinder LINK.
This features the commonly used butane, 21 mm clip-on.

Plus, they have a 3.9 kg propane, LINK, this features the POL connection, again one in quite common use.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Flo-gas have a 4.5 kg butane cylinder LINK.
This features the commonly used butane, 21 mm clip-on.

Plus, they have a 3.9 kg propane, LINK, this features the POL connection, again one in quite common use.

Indeed, Flogas have most bases covered including their gaslight bottles.

Only annoyance will be having to buy a new bottle!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Basic question, but I don’t know the answer so thought it best to ask: If I buy a Flogas Propane cylinder to replace my Calor gas propane cylinder in my caravan ( bulkhead regulator and pigtail), can I just attach it in ( as if it was a Calor bottle) or do I need a different pigtail.
(BTW I know I won’t be able to swap a Calor bottle for a Flogas bottle, so I have no plans to do this at the moment)
Thanks
Mel

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Basic question, but I don’t know the answer so thought it best to ask: If I buy a Flogas Propane cylinder to replace my Calor gas propane cylinder in my caravan ( bulkhead regulator and pigtail), can I just attach it in ( as if it was a Calor bottle) or do I need a different pigtail.
(BTW I know I won’t be able to swap a Calor bottle for a Flogas bottle, so I have no plans to do this at the moment)
Thanks
Mel
AFAIK the Flogas uses a 27mm clip-on connection - so a different pigtail is needed - or an adapter - but I can't find a single piece adapter to do that job, may need two adapters.

For the moment I have access to Calorlite refills in Solihull from Ebay but that may not last.

Reactions: Mel and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks
Mel
Mel it is only the 6kg lite that is discontinued, not the normal 6kg propane.

Reactions: Mel
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I also have a list of all LPG stations in the UK which is a bit outdated, but you can phone first to ensure that they still supply Autogas. To date we have never had a problem with refilling ours when out and about.

See https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...dpy0FmHpDt9BSmBzjuc_ATFJz0Rl_omAKOmHl7ZLs95L8

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Not all Autogas suppliers will let you fill portable cylinders. Some are restricted by company or insurance policy, or local planning regulations might restricts them.
Sorry Prof, you're right-I should have added that the first time I went in to check when they expected a delivery, I also checked that safefills would be permitted.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I also have a list of all LPG stations in the UK which is a bit outdated, but you can phone first to ensure that they still supply Autogas. To date we have never had a problem with refilling ours when out and about.

See https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1myt2BQyrhP_VjU9kCu5_reCbZn3RygtE&ll=53.3624041164837,-1.105875088201746&z=6&fbclid=IwAR1YZGt9VOWIBxdpy0FmHpDt9BSmBzjuc_ATFJz0Rl_omAKOmHl7ZLs95L8
Thanks Buckman, that's the map that is linked to from the Safefill users Facebook group. As you say it's a bit out of date - my local BP which is the one I mentioned above as waiting for a delivery, is one of those shown on the map as having gas for refill available. But as you say the phone numbers are there so I can call ahead and check

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Buckman, that's the map that is linked to from the Safefill users Facebook group. As you say it's a bit out of date - my local BP which is the one I mentioned above as waiting for a delivery, is one of those shown on the map as having gas for refill available. But as you say the phone numbers are there so I can call ahead and check

We have never been refused a fill up of the Safefill in the past 10 years using the locations on the map and also using Morrisons. Saved us a fortune over the past couple of years in comparison to Calor refills. I have had the link to the map for many years and think originally I posted it on FB, but someone else has done the same recently. (y) :D

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
AFAIK the Flogas uses a 27mm clip-on connection - so a different pigtail is needed - or an adapter - but I can't find a single piece adapter to do that job, may need two adapters.

For the moment I have access to Calorlite refills in Solihull from Ebay but that may not last.

Flo-gas general purpose range, propane 3.9 kg, 6 kg, & 11 kg cylinders come with the common POL connection just as Calor's 6 kg & Clor lite feature.
Flo-gas's Gaslight range, which is propane, use a 27 mm clip-on.
There appears to be other market targeted propane cylinders that feature differing connectors but these I suspect are not of interest here.

Considering butane, Flo-gas's 4.5kg that could be a contender to use in place of the pulled Calor 4.5 butane, though uses a 21 mm clip-on rather than the screwed fitting Calor use in that small sized bottle.
21 mm clip-on is also what Calor use in their larger 7 kg butane.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Thanks
Mel
[/QUOTE}

Replacing any size Calor Propane cylinder from the ranges you would use, with a Flo-gas propane of steel construction [again general use range] uses the same POL connection Calor use.
If considering the light weight Flo-gas Gaslight range, a "plastic" cylinder, then there is the need to alter the pig tailes adaptor, as these Gaslights use a 27mm Clip-on.
Be aware though the Gaslight refills are priced at a heavy premium compared to the steel cylinder range refills, and discounting as can be found with the steels seems challenging to obtain; ie they are not adopted by building trades etc, where "trade" discounting is widespread,
A 27mm adaptor is sub £10, so unlikely to be a consideration in making a change, if one accepts the heavy pricing Gaslights use will cost.

Reactions: Mel
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Flo-gas general purpose range, propane 3.9 kg, 6 kg, & 11 kg cylinders come with the common POL connection just as Calor's 6 kg & Clor lite feature.
Flo-gas's Gaslight range, which is propane, use a 27 mm clip-on.
There appears to be other market targeted propane cylinders that feature differing connectors but these I suspect are not of interest here.

Considering butane, Flo-gas's 4.5kg that could be a contender to use in place of the pulled Calor 4.5 butane, though uses a 21 mm clip-on rather than the screwed fitting Calor use in that small sized bottle.
21 mm clip-on is also what Calor use in their larger 7 kg butane.
Thanks for that correction - it was the Gaslight I was looking at to eventually replace my Calorlite.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
so the cylinders that seem to be about to be discontinued are the butane dumpy type that I use for my garden BBQ and the cadac when travelling. I suppose I will be able to change these for patio gas types rather than the larger alternatives that seem to be being suggested, and possibly have unused alternative regulators in my bit box in the garage! Or maybe revert to the Camping Gas 907 for the cadac which will remind me of the old days tent camping in my original mini!
The cylinders being discontinued are Calor’s Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders.
Calor announces plan to streamline its cylinder range to improve customer service

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
so the cylinders that seem to be about to be discontinued are the butane dumpy type that I use for my garden BBQ and the cadac when travelling. I suppose I will be able to change these for patio gas types rather than the larger alternatives that seem to be being suggested, and possibly have unused alternative regulators in my bit box in the garage! Or maybe revert to the Camping Gas 907 for the cadac which will remind me of the old days tent camping in my original mini!
The cylinders being discontinued are Calor’s Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders.
Calor announces plan to streamline its cylinder range to improve customer service
I have a Campingaz R904 cylinder it holds 1.8 kg and the last time I exchanged it the cost was £35. Makes Calor products look a bargain. So it lays empty in the garden and I now use Calor BBQ cylinder for Cadac or when I go away vin the tent. I’m only glad Campingaz do not supply my domestic heating boiler. But you can get them pretty well everywhere here and overseas.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have one Calor 3.9kg propane full its in the shed since we have stopped caravanning i don"t know whether i want to keep it or sell are they still fetching good money :unsure:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I have one Calor 3.9kg propane full its in the shed since we have stopped caravanning i don"t know whether i want to keep it or sell are they still fetching good money :unsure:

Probably if you act swiftly to sell it, before an uninformed buyer becomes aware it is little use other than as a door stop, or possibly tradable up to the 6 kg, if Calor do accept doing that.
In recent times, certainly some retailers have not been switching sizes, best bet is a Calor depot, better still if you have the documentation.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must remind you that you cannot legally sell a Calor gas cylinder as you rent it not own it. You can sell the content though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Considering the vast number of them for sale on Facebook, Gumtree, eBay etc I think its fair to say that nobody cares :ROFLMAO:
It's not a laughing matter.

And every one of them is breaking the rental agreement they had when they first obtained a Calor cylinder. Mass law breaking does not make any practice any less illegal. By depriving Calor of their property that is breach of contract, by offering one for sale is fraud as you don't have the title to sell it, and making money from proceeds of crime.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts