Camp sites between Polish Border and Krakow

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,
I'm getting down to the enjoyable task of planning next years main holiday. The original intention was to use the Hook of Holland ferry and travel via Berlin on the way out, use Prague as the turning round point and come back taking in Dresden on the way. I've got details of sites I shall probably be using but I'm now thinking that it would be good to take in Auschwitz and Krakow while we're so close. My trouble is I'm struggling to find site details in Poland.
Has anyone any sites they can recommend?
Also, not researched driving in Czech Republic or Poland. Does european insurance (car & caravan) usually include these countries? Are we ok with a photo driving licence?

Any info would be most welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can't recommend any particular sites, I'm afraid, but what I can remember of the country from a visit (before the berlin wall came down0 was that the countryside got more scenic just east of Krakow - down towards and around Zakopane which is probably somewhat touristy now but beautiful. The other must-see in the area is the salt mine complex at Willecka (?) not far from Kracow.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Tony H Just seen your post and think I can help with some poionts. We went to Hungary, Sovakia, Poland (visiting Auschwitz) then Czech Republic before Germany and home. We travelled down via Germany and Austria. We are covered for Insurance by The Caravan Club for Car and Caravan, which covers all those Countries and more besides. For Breakdown we are covered for Car and Caravan all over Europe by German Club ADAC. Rather than go through any more details, which will take a long time, perhaps you would llike to have a look at my website address as in my signature below. We visited these Countries in 2008 out 5th Trip in Europe and first went to Czech Republic in our 2nd Trip in Europe in 2005. Purchasing an ACSI Camping Card and Book is a good idea if you are travelling out of Season. Details on ACSI and ADAC are all on the website. Both parts of your Driving License should be taken with you. EHIC card is essential and International Camping Card is too. Hope this is of help to you. Sites we stopped at are listed in the trips.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the in Ray and Dianne.

Dianne, you certainly take your touring seriously, don't you! Trips like that I can only dream of while work keeps getting in the way! I would really appreciate it if you remembered what the ammenities were like at Campsite Korona. I had found it listed but I'm finding it a devil of a job to get details other than names & addresses.

Regards
Tony H

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Tony, If you go to the main ACSI website which gives you 8,600 sites throughout Europe www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe click Poland on the Map and then Krakow which is Lesser Poland area, then go down the list to Korona which is a 3 star site you can see recommendations on there and if you click on Facilities in green across the top that will give you everything about the site. It is basically a copy of what is on the ACSI DVD but with the DVD you have the added advantage of being able to plan your route. Hope this helps.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Dianne, thankyou very much. There's none so blind as those that don't see! I've looked at that website several times and just not seen all the sub headings!

Regards
Tony H

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
We went to Prague in 2005. Routed via Aachen- Koln- Frankfurt- Nurnberg- Amberg. We stayed in Limburg on the way out. In Prague we stayed at "Sunny Camp" on the SW edge. Nice little site, good restaurant and a 10 minute walk to the metro for the centre of Prague. This was on an outward tour as we carried on to Vienna, Croatia and returned via Salzburg. Watch out for motorway discipline in Czech Replublic - there isn't any !!. We came upon people reversing down the motorway when there had been a holdup. Don't forget your motorway toll card either, pick it up at the border

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Tony H, If you still plan going to Krakow from Prague I think the main road we took via Brno is the best as the other route we looked at, and voted not to use, mean't travelling through mountains and we were not sure whether is was suitable for caravans.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hello again, I've now got all my sites booked except one. Don't seem to be able to contact anyone at Camping Smok just outside Krakow. They claim to be open all year so I'm a bit surprised.
Has anyone been here recently or can you suggest another site close by?

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Tony, Have you decided to rule Korona out if you cannot contact Smok. We found it to be a very good site as did the other 3 outfits that were with us. Of course the sites in Eastern Europe we did not find the same as in the West well Germany. Austria,Italy and Switzerland. I believe if you contact a site through ACSI the form translates the booking into Polish, may be they do not speak English at that site.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again Diane. I did send my original email to Camping Smok with a translation (used google translator). I'd only plumped for them by situation but I see Camping Korona isn't far from them anyway. I'll give them a try.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts