Can’t build up pressure using Floë drain down kit

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi all. Total newbie this year and loving it! Bought a floe drain down kit and closed all taps and drain valve. Connected floe to whale and connected air pump. No matter how long I left pump switched on pressure never moved. I checked for leaks and could find none. Air was going through the floe.
Do you need to turn caravan pump on?
I’m getting no where so advice appreciated

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome,if you have checked the floe is properly put together and air is passing through it then have a look at the rubber O rings on the pump inlet to make sure there is no damage,i have found that sometimes the Floe can catch on them as it`s connected(i always lube the Floe with Olive oil),how did you check your water system for leaks if it`s not pressurising?,the air goes into the hot water tank and that`s how it`s pressurised so try again and see if there is any air going in then release the dump valve on the tank,if not then you have to start at point of entry for problems,it`s such a straight forward piece of kit sorting the problem should be easy,good luck.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you have manually drained the system first have you remembered to close the yellow drain tap? Then ensure all the taps are closed before operating the floe and then opening one tap at a time. The system is then 'emptied' of residual water, but still leave the taps and drain tube open while not in use.

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply. The system was fine under usual water pressure when I left site. Caravan is brand new and only done two trips. When we left last site we drained hot water tank and drove home with taps and drain valve open.
So pressure under water was fine.
However floe won’t build pressure and I’ve tried two different pumps.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Our caravan only a year old , and all we ever do is open the drain valve dump the water and then whilst travelling back , open all the taps en route and let gravity do the rest , we've never had any problems with our water system and never felt the need for a drain down kit .

Craig .

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The only bit of kit you need to drain down the system is a tyre vale and a foot pump, looks like you have a faulty Floe valve, method is with a tyre valve is to connect to the inlet pipe of whatever system you have to the end of the inlet pipe, close all tapd drain valve and shower, pump up to one bar and go round the taps leaving the drain down valve to last , if you have had the pump running you could have caused a eak and that is why you are not showing any pressure, by the way I did my system the other week and one and a half lites of water from the pipe work,

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Not convinced that you need to get obsessive about draining down. We simply open all the drain points open the taps so that they set between hot and cold. We have never had a problem ( tempting fate :unsure: ?). But my theory is if any residual amount of water does freeze there is enough space to expand. Our system doesn’t have a filter. If it did then I would certainly remove it, if there was a risk of freezing. I wouldn’t put it back in but that’s another story!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Never used a drain down kit in my life.
Like Craig I open all taps, three way valves and the two yellow hot water heater taps. I can see in some cases water may get trapped in the pipework. However the usual problem are the taps freezing when left closed.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
audiorob said:
If you have manually drained the system first have you remembered to close the yellow drain tap? Then ensure all the taps are closed before operating the floe and then opening one tap at a time. The system is then 'emptied' of residual water, but still leave the taps and drain tube open while not in use.

That was my first thought.

AnastieByte said:
Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply. The system was fine under usual water pressure when I left site. Caravan is brand new and only done two trips. When we left last site we drained hot water tank and drove home with taps and drain valve open.

OP: Just to confirm; have you closed the yellow valve prior to trying the Floe?

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
audiorob said:

That was my first thought.

AnastieByte said:

OP: Just to confirm; have you closed the yellow valve prior to trying the Floe?
Yes all taps were closed as was yellow drain valve before I tried to get pressure into the system via floe

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As i had a spare Truma water connector, I went up to the van today and made a quick connector with my electric tyre inflator, As I normally drain down the system with the taps and drain valves, no water from the main sink, but about a litre plus from the rear bathroom sink and shower, this is the first time in Over 10 years That I have done this, but will make a habit of it in future after each trip out in winter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
As i had a spare Truma water connector, I went up to the van today and made a quick connector with my electric tyre inflator, As I normally drain down the system with the taps and drain valves, no water from the main sink, but about a litre plus from the rear bathroom sink and shower, this is the first time in Over 10 years That I have done this, but will make a habit of it in future after each trip out in winter.

Can you provide a link to the type of Truma connector used? Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/truma-ultraflow-pistol-connection-plug/3115[/url]

This one is cheaper as it doesn't have the electrics connectors.

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/truma-ultraflow-inlet-water-hose/3775

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/truma-ultraflow-pistol-connection-plug/3115[/url]

]https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/truma-ultraflow-inlet-water-hose/3775
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/truma-ultraflow-inlet-water-hose/3775[/quote
Just cut the filter off and attach the tyre pump. . :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:

]https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/truma-ultraflow-inlet-water-hose/3775
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/truma-ultraflow-inlet-water-hose/3775[/quote
Just cut the filter off and attach the tyre pump. . :p

Think I may just obtain a bit of pipe and a small click fit connector which will allow me to remove and replace the gauze strainer.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Think I may just obtain a bit of pipe and a small click fit connector which will allow me to remove and replace the gauze strainer.[/quote]

Now that's a good idea. My strainer is just a push fit, took the clip off couple of years back,it looked as though it was going rusty, never replaced it.
What pressure do you put into the system?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
Now that's a good idea. My strainer is just a push fit, took the clip off couple of years back,it looked as though it was going rusty, never replaced it.

Do not exceed 1.3Bar maximum

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
DaveA1 said:

Actually I was thinking of giving it a good blow. :whistle:

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
ProfJohnL said:
DaveA1 said:

Actually I was thinking of giving it a good blow. :whistle:
:lol: :lol: Ho! But you would not need to buy a second pickup pipe.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I just connected up the electric tyre pump with the taps open and the went around closing the hot and cold taps to clear the water. The water to the rear was where it came from, over the axle, to the rear bathroom.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts