Can I tow a caravan with an electric car?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it will come but as yet so few EV's are towing it will not be a priority.
But that is the point, the planners need to act now!. If ev's are to become the norm, then the planners need to ensure the infrastructure facilities are ready and inclusive for all users. It needs action now to drive requirements into mainstream thought processes about how to set up charge points to meet the needs of motorists including caravanners.

As we already know there are UK EV owners who do tow, so there is a need even now!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But that is the point, the planners need to act now!. If ev's are to become the norm, then the planners need to ensure the infrastructure facilities are ready and inclusive for all users. It needs action now to drive requirements into mainstream thought processes about how to set up charge points to meet the needs of motorists including caravanners.

As we already know there are UK EV owners who do tow, so there is a need even now!

Maybe planners know that EVs are not the future and are only an interim solution?

• Sad
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Maybe planners know that EVs are not the future and are only an interim solution?
No - the planners are concentrating on the 99% use case, not the 1% use case, that being solo driving.
We can debate the "EVs are not the future" thing again, but that is NOT the cause of rolling out SOLO charge points over towing charge points.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No - the planners are concentrating on the 99% use case, not the 1% use case, that being solo driving.
We can debate the "EVs are not the future" thing again, but that is NOT the cause of rolling out SOLO charge points over towing charge points.
Maybe they know something we do not know?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You're being generous with your numbers - most of the justification and promotion of EVs is based on averages rather than comprehensive requirements - not helped by all those who assume that all holidays involve flights rather than drives.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Maybe they know something we do not know?
Buckman, not sure what you are suggesting? Is it that the large numbers of rapid chargers (207 rapid ports added in June '22) that are being installed by a number of different profitable companies are only for Solo usage (the 99% use case) and not the towing case (1%) because those same companies know that the long term future of their business is not in supporting EVs, so towing is not relevant?? Thats a very tenuous conclusion at best. At worst you sound like you need a tin foil hat to avoid being mind read by the 5G masts...

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
You're being generous with your numbers - most of the justification and promotion of EVs is based on averages rather than comprehensive requirements - not helped by all those who assume that all holidays involve flights rather than drives.
Huh? Sorry RL - which bit is over generous? Are you suggesting that more than 1% of car journeys (all cars)(journey count or miles driven) are towing? If you look at EVs, I would suggest the real towed figure for EVs is more like 0.1% or even 0.01%.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Huh? Sorry RL - which bit is over generous? Are you suggesting that more than 1% of car journeys (all cars)(journey count or miles driven) are towing? If you look at EVs, I would suggest the real towed figure for EVs is more like 0.1% or even 0.01%.
I was being more general that just towing vs solo.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I was being more general that just towing vs solo.
Only EVs charge at EV points. 99% of car journeys are Solo. The companies are installing for the 99% not the fewer than 1%. Yes - it will be nice to have dedicated EV charging for towing, but getting a fully fledged solo infrastructure first is more important.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not that different to the mobile companies where first priority has been to cover the areas where the majority of the population live. I am surprised at just how many charging points there are in our area. Admittedly not necessarily in the main trunk route, but just a five minute detour off of it. Yet despite seeing increasing numbers of EV and PHEV I see relatively few vehicles charging at the points. In our local Lidl’s it’s mainly British Gas that seem to use one of the two charging points. I can only conclude that the electric vehicles that I see must mostly be charged at home or work.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
It’s not that different to the mobile companies where first priority has been to cover the areas where the majority of the population live. I am surprised at just how many charging points there are in our area. Admittedly not necessarily in the main trunk route, but just a five minute detour off of it. Yet despite seeing increasing numbers of EV and PHEV I see relatively few vehicles charging at the points. In our local Lidl’s it’s mainly British Gas that seem to use one of the two charging points. I can only conclude that the electric vehicles that I see must mostly be charged at home or work.
Exactly that OC. Home charging (if you can) is cheap, convenient and easy! Rapid charging is the exception, not the norm.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mulling through things, one of them being maybe needing a replacment boiler at home, These new boilers are being supplied ready for Hydrogen gas, now if all homes or at least say 75 % will have Hydrogen, then we could fill our Hydrogen cell cars at home.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Mulling through things, one of them being maybe needing a replacment boiler at home, These new boilers are being supplied ready for Hydrogen gas, now if all homes or at least say 75 % will have Hydrogen, then we could fill our Hydrogen cell cars at home.
Hmmm. Probably not. The chances of ever having pure H2 in pipes to homes is almost 0. H2 is only interesting as a fuel if it’s made from green energy. In which case, you need about twice as much electrical energy put in as you get out of the combusted hydrogen. You may as well use an electric boiler, at about half the electricity cost.
But if we imagine that we were able to get pure H2 from a hose at home, it needs to be cooled and compressed to about 10kPSI to be fed into a car. The equipment to do that is both costly and high maintenance. Far mor expensive than the kit to turn natural gas into CNG. And we don’t have that at home either.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Reading the previous page somone mentioned EVs must tow other things than caravans. Here is proof; two weekends ago on the A1 stop Gonerby moor (Downtown) just north of Grantham. Since it was towing the Tesla driver has simply parked alongside the chargers; not a problem since as you can see there's a row of Tesla chargers right the lenth of the car park-simply amazing infrastructure and well done Mr Musk. Oh if all other EVs had the same opportunities! But is shows it is possible !!! Sorry i've heavily cropped the pic as it was too large!

Attachments

• reduced size.jpg
    reduced size.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Tobes
May 7, 2012
Visit site
That is what the owners of the first EV service station in I think Essex suggested, although you may not always have that ability if others have used more charging points.

Reactions: JezzerB and Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My comment was supposed to be light hearted and humorous as I cribbed it from many other posts on this forum, but seems some got the wrong end of the stick.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts