Can you increase car trailer nose weight limit?

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
I strongly suspect that the answer is no but I will ask anyway.

Is there anything you can do that will legally increase the car manufacturers limit for trailer nose weight & which would be accepted by the police?

I ask because our Bailey 460/2 is very difficult to get under 75kg nose weight and a lot of cars I might otherwise look at are 60kg nose weight limited.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The noseweight is determined by tests and specified by the car manufacturer so only he can make any changes to this spec. Structural constraints are what limit the noseweight so any increase would require additional reinforcements. Only the manufacturer would be able to tell you the nature of such reinforcements, but as the necessary tests involved are considerable, it is more than likely that he will not want to get involved.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
No, ride height doesn't enter into the picture as you can't load the back end of the car any more when towing than when solo with the boot full. Noseweight is purely a structural issue.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Our 460/2 is also heavy on the tow ball unless we carry just one gas cylinder in the front gas locker, and put the all the other usual contents in the van or in the car. Then it's OK.

Everything moveable is carried on the floor and as close to the axle as possible - except clothes in the wardrobe.

Bry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris ,

When you are measuring your nose weight is the caravan standing on level ground.

I have a 460/4 when I first measured my nose weight I to was over 75kg but I was trying to do this on a gradual slope, when I eventualy found level ground , checking the nose weight I was below 75kg.

Inside the front external locker I have qty one large gas bottle,qty two empty water barrels , handles to suit and various containers of toilet liquids.and external mats.

All heavy items are situated above the axle , held in position by cross tubes covered in plastic lagging, nothing is placed behind the axle .

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Strictly speaking, the caravan should not necessarily be level when measuring the noseweight. It should have the same attitude as when it is hitched up to the car when the outfit is standing on level ground. This may or may not result in a level caravan, depending on the height of the towball.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts