Car / Caravan Match

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When it comes to the 85% rule should I be including the driver or not ?
I have a bit of a thing about referring to the advice as rule - Its not a rule its only guidance. Giving calling it a rule tends reinforce the idea it has some legal impact It doesn't have any..... rant over

The way the guidance figure is calculated is full of illogical values, which do not take into account the vehicles actuall towing specifications which is why I don't like to recommend it fully.

Establish the cars maximum permitted trailer weight from its specifications (GTW -GVW) and bearing in mind its a caravan and that represents a significantly more difficult load for the car to manage, and that when towing a caravan the car is more likely to be well filled with people and luggage so it makes sense to keep the trailer weight as small as possible.

The most important weight limits (for which you can be prosecuted) is exceeding any of the limits displayed on your cars data plate.

As for nose load, the limit is usually set by the cars limit for the ball hitch. And whilst it is generally better to go greater, going beyond what you need to keep the out fit stable has no real advantage.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sorry dx4100 that's higher than i thought and very good. Seriously you are sensible to take all precautions but if you load the van sensibly ie to 100kg on the nose and (not sure if it has ATC or not but it helps) you take the approach you are taking you'll be fine; our first van was around 90% but i really hate the 85% as it seems to make people worry unnecessarily. Personally decent and pumped up tyres, and same with the caravan, sensibly loaded and I am sure you'll be surprised how stable it is. From your attitude I can tell you won't be going out and about in gales until you've found your feet!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for looking over the number for me. I get the 85% is just a guide but its probably best I stick to it and put all the odds in my favour for a successful experience. Pretty nervous about towing for the first time and want to keep the kids safe.
Take it nice and steady and you should do fine good luck

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Maybe a silly question but how do you think I will find towing a 7.95 (or so) van vs a 7.25 van. Do you really feel the extra length when towing or is just default a pain when you come across tight spots ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe a silly question but how do you think I will find towing a 7.95 (or so) van vs a 7.25 van. Do you really feel the extra length when towing or is just default a pain when you come across tight spots ?
You don’t feel any real difference for normal towing but there will be a difference in tighter manoeuvres like turning corners, pitching up in some sites and windy lanes. But there are members who have long TA caravans and they can speak from current experience.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Like OC says, the difference is negligable, except in reversing into areas and tight turns.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks - when it comes to reversing I think my plan is to get it to a certain point and then cheat with a motor mover :)
Depending on site layout and those pitched opposite it’s not unusual to use movers to pitch your caravan anyway. Continental sites with individual pitches with hedging also can be tight too.

Reactions: dx4100 and JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can’t speak for a twin axle, but I have a 7.8m single axle and I’ve never found the length to be a major problem. If necessary, the motor mover has always helped me get out of a tight spot.

Reactions: dx4100
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
WE went from a Dacia Duster and Bailey Pegasus Verona ( about 11.46m ) to a Nissan Navara and a twin axle Buccaneer Cruiser . Total outfit length now 13.2m and it's 8foot wide too. Apart from not wanting to scratch my alloys so I take a 'lorry' line on turns ie make sure I get more of a swing and if need be command the middle of the lane on tight roundabouts/ turns, I really haven't found it much different. Am always a bit conscious of the rear end swinging out too-it's a case of using the mirrors on every move and taking care. But I've found it pretty easy. Reversing into sites; last time at Eye KEttleby there was simply not the room given there was a van and car in the opposite site, but it's doable if you have room and we usually pop the mover on which obviously makes life really easy. The extra room esp width make it all worthwhile-we love it. NB even when we had the smaller van SWBO has always plotted and run the route visually on Google maps if anywhere looks tight-from bitter experience when we had a small caravan but ended up on some very tight roads!

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were going to the Blackmore site and 3/4 of the way down the road a tree had fallen over. No space to turn around so has to reverse over 1/2 mile and onto a main road. Luckily it was not too busy. Managed to reverse in a fairly straight line, but wife had to walk behind the reversing caravan to warn other motorists.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is very little I can add to what has been said and like Buckman I do think modern cars can normally manage 90% without problem although it is up to you as to whether you exceed the 85% guideline. As the Prof says there is more to safe towing but you do need the right combination first and the figures look OK.
The outfit match quote is misleading in the requirement for a B+E licence. If you passed your test after 1997 you will probably not have this shown but the government has changed the law so that you will have this, but it will not be on your licence until you renew it. If you want to go abroad you will need to replace the licence with a new one and it will, or at least should, be on the new one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts