Car insurance

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
For a few years I have been annoyed at the premiums requred to renew.Have been lucky for sixty six year without causing an accident although have been hit twice by others. This October coming the premium was reduced from last year by a few pounds . Still was too much by my reconing. So as usual went on the Go Compare which has never bettered then the one quoted . But, with the same company and all the same benifits It was over £200 cheaper. I got in quick and paid as I learned it changes day by day

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I do the same, saves a good few pounds.

They reckon the perfect time is between 20 and 27 days before your policy runs out to get the best quote.

Not sure what truth is in this but it is always cheaper for me .

👍👍👍

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I do the same, saves a good few pounds.

They reckon the perfect time is between 20 and 27 days before your policy runs out to get the best quote.

Not sure what truth is in this but it is always cheaper for me .

👍👍👍

Martin Lewis reckons that 21 days before renewal is optimum, but you need to commit at that point which doesn't suit everyone's cash flow.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I also always ring my own company and am always told that the renewal price offered is a 'standard' price and they always make me a much better offer, but I also check the price with a couple of competitors to make sure the actual price I am expected to pay is fair.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This year Aviva, offered me £536. I went on a comparison site and chose Swinton at £263. Exactly the same cover.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Always remember with insurance like most other things you normally get what you pay for and you may live to regret that decision. Premiums ae where they are because that is what is needed to cover the claims which in some cases can run into figures over £1,000,000 and when you look at that you should see why they are so high.
The profit margin on the business is not that high which essentially means lower premiums mean something is being cut out. Look up the opinions on he claims service on google and see if you like what you see.
You may have been lucky and got a bargain, but you may find otherwise.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The new policy is the same as original one word for word except price
But its not the words that govern how well the company deal with a claim.

We have been with LV for some years now and even when they were Frizzels. Found the premiums competitive at £297 for the Subaru with daughter included for her work in the community nursing, Rio is £182. Have house and travel assurances, and breakdown/recovery too with LV and get a discount too.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'm not so sure about the get what you pay for. My daughter took out the cheapest fully comp she could find. Go girl. When she was run off the road payment was prompt and surprisingly covered the full cost I expected minus a bit of depreciation. Very very impressed. When she renewed this summer in spite of the accident claim they were by far the cheapest renewal beating the compare sites by over £200.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure about the get what you pay for. My daughter took out the cheapest fully comp she could find. Go girl. When she was run off the road payment was prompt and surprisingly covered the full cost I expected minus a bit of depreciation. Very very impressed. When she renewed this summer in spite of the accident claim they were by far the cheapest renewal beating the compare sites by over £200.
I did say that there are bargains but very few. There may also be reductions in the cover but taking out the ones you do not need makes very little difference as they are not significant in the premium.
I have worked in insurance all my working life and can assure you that in general lower prices can only be achieved by keeping claims costs down and that has to mean paying out less if you can get away with it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I did say that there are bargains but very few. There may also be reductions in the cover but taking out the ones you do not need makes very little difference as they are not significant in the premium.
I have worked in insurance all my working life and can assure you that in general lower prices can only be achieved by keeping claims costs down and that has to mean paying out less if you can get away with it.
I've been insuring cars all my working life and options has always had a significant effect - nowadays I don't travel abroad or to work so don't need foreign travel, business use or commuting and the difference is significant enough to be worthwhile - with two cars in the family, I don't need a courtesy car which also makes a difference - when I was working it was always cheaper to use a company that included business travel rather than a cheaper company where it was optional that then increased the premium for business use..

The million dollar question - how can you tell the difference between an insurer that keeps the cost down by not including cover you don't need and one that charges a higher price for the cover you need?

As an aside, I looked into a "charge-per-mile" policy recently, it was an annual "parking" fee of about £180 plus 3.2 p/mile based on 1 year's NCD on a Group 2/50 car, which offered little or no saving on a low mileage basis and more expensive over a higher mileage.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My advantage is I worked in the business, so I have a fair idea which I can trust. Possibly your best bet is to google opinions on the companies claims service, and hopefully you will get a good idea.

Reactions: Niall_McIntosh
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I found this page on Money Supermarket Car Insurance Groups Checker | MoneySuperMarket and was horrified at the high level of AVERAGE premiums - thankfully I'm not paying anything like those figures.
Mines group 34 and about one third of the average. But I do have full NCD, voluntary £200 excess and 10000 miles usage. There are three of us on the policy myself, my wife and daughter (for work use if her car is NA)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As the premiums vary with not only the car and driver but the mileage you cover, the other drivers records, if any, and most importantly location, average premiuns are probably not a good guide to what you should be paying.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As the premiums vary with not only the car and driver but the mileage you cover, the other drivers records, if any, and most importantly location, average premiums are probably not a good guide to what you should be paying.
They're a good guide to how much more drivers are paying on average, bearing in mind that some will be paying substantially more than average.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As the premiums vary with not only the car and driver but the mileage you cover, the other drivers records, if any, and most importantly location, average premiuns are probably not a good guide to what you should be paying.
Agre your comments. realistically using average as a meaningful comparator isn’t particularly helpful as it must encompass so many inputs relating to things such as age, profession, location, vehicle mileage, driving and claims record etc that makes it little real use when covering the whole population and geography of the country.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Every year we do a comparison and until a couple of years ago we changed insurers every year to keep costs level/down. However last two years we've found the existing insurers stayed competitive, so something changed.

For the van we've consistently found the CAMC to have the best cover and price year on year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your daughter got good value for her money :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My daughter has a Corolla Hybrid due in a couple of months and I have passed details of GoGirl to her. They are a part of Sabre who are well established and have tended to offer motor insurance via brokers. Be interesting to see what their quote is.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I would look up the reviews for this company as there are some horrors there.
As explained-my daughter has had 2 write offs in her first year of driving-Go Girl have paid out in full both times no quibble-although they were keen to receive her police interview in her second off which was not her fault-and gave a fantastic price for the car minus excess-cannot recommend them highly enough. Plus i was expecting her premium to soar-as you would and it's over £200 cheaper than anyone quoted on confused and the meerkat-I was amazed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts