Car insurance

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Daughter eventually got the insurer of the outgoing Ford Focus to drop the £75 cancellation charge but she didn’t get the remaining policy refunded, but as it finished in March 2022 that’s no great loss. Her 2014 focus sold within a week of arriving at a dealership fir £7990. Well that was the advertised price. And it had not had its rear nearside wing resprayed after I’d spent hours on it. So perhaps they thought it was a half decent job. I’ve done better but not on cold, wet winters days. But the new buyer may have asked for that to be done.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On this general thread our Subaru insurance was due for renewal on 3 March 2022. The price had jumped from £317 last year to £392. Surely not the result of recent changes in the prices charged to new customers. So I rang them and they couldn’t give more than a few pounds off despite having the other car and house insured with them. The agent then suggested a multi car policy might be better. I’d enquired about one a few years back but at that time there was little advantage. So the agent priced one for me. The Subaru and Rio policy would both be in my name whereas at present they are my wife and mine respectively. Annual policy element for the Subaru reduced from £392 to £249. So that car is now on a multi car policy running to October 2022 when the new multi car policy for both cars comes up for renewal. All other aspects such as excess, hire car, etc stay the same.

in parallel our son has just changed his Freelander insurer from Elephant at £254 to ESure at £153 without legal expenses or £184 with legal expenses. Bit of a minefield out there at present.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have two cars then it is always worth checking out a two car policy as there is usually a saving there. I do not know who actually covers Subaru insurance but there seems to be a fair bit of variation in renewal premiums as some are down and others up. If the policy was taken out as a new one last year it will almost certainly go up.
Not sure how anyone can get the premium down to £153 on a Freelander but I think it must be very limited cover and he must have a good record.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We got £128 fully comp protected no claims and with my wife and I on our Mini SE with 6000 miles a year and £400 xs. I thought that was pretty amazing and Confused gave us a £20 Halfords voucher too for buying through them-couldn't pay fast enough! It certainly isn't minimal cover though we don't buy the 'extras'. other than protected. That was in November-the car is 1 year and a bit old.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I got a great price with Dial Direct insurance on my wife car fully comp protected no claims breakdown cover with 3,000 miles a year
And also a Free £10 Just Eat paycode voucher

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have two cars then it is always worth checking out a two car policy as there is usually a saving there. I do not know who actually covers Subaru insurance but there seems to be a fair bit of variation in renewal premiums as some are down and others up. If the policy was taken out as a new one last year it will almost certainly go up.
Not sure how anyone can get the premium down to £153 on a Freelander but I think it must be very limited cover and he must have a good record.
The Freelander 2 is 2008, our son has full NCD, no Continental cover, no legal expenses, SDP only, £350 excess and 6000 miles limited. It is now with ESure after moving from Elephant.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I always compare at the end of my policy, if my current provided wants to match the cheaper quote then that's great but if not I always switch.
I always compare too, but if any are cheaper on a like for like I will switch. If the current provider wanted to retain my business they should have quoted better for the renewal. I'm not jumping through hoops for them to retain me. It's quite fun on the occasion that they call you and say they can do better to keep your business. I always refuse, or let them quote me and then refuse.

I guess those days are coming to an end soon and we are all going to feel the price rise for insurance, on top of everything else.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I always compare too, but if any are cheaper on a like for like I will switch. If the current provider wanted to retain my business they should have quoted better for the renewal. I'm not jumping through hoops for them to retain me. It's quite fun on the occasion that they call you and say they can do better to keep your business. I always refuse, or let them quote me and then refuse.

I guess those days are coming to an end soon and we are all going to feel the price rise for insurance, on top of everything else.
According to Martin Lewis, the price hike didn't occur as predicted in January for new policies so customers will need to wait to see how their renewal quote fares.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife car insurance renewal is due in three weeks we are already receiving compare quotes from Confused .
Be interesting to hear what the renewal is. Our Subarus went up about £80 and there hadn’t been any claims or changes. So I discussed it with the insurer and put both cars on a multi policy and it came down quite a lot even compared to last years price. You can’t take anything for granted these days. I’ve just agreed a 2 year broadband with EE that is only 86 pence more than the ending EE contract. Plus I got another 10 gig for the mobiles. Had I just used the website it would have been £9 per month more.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I did look up reviews, not Trust Pilot which is no use as it relates to sales performance which is not relevant.
Dial Direct Reviews Are Below Average | 74% Recommendation Rating on reviews.io looks at them more more broadly and might change your mind.
They are one of many Trading Names of the parent company BISL Limited.
I believe they are an intermediary using a range of Insurers, identity unknown.
You can view all their details on Beta Companies House FOC.
Remember. Cheapest is never the best👍

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022
Visit site

It's supply and demand, there's always going to be insurance companies who are willing to undercut their competitors.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just receive a car quote from AA Car insurance including breakdown cover very reasonable i think it because you are a new customer but my wife wants see if we get anymore quotes before the 1st March

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just receive a car quote from AA Car insurance including breakdown cover very reasonable i think it because you are a new customer but my wife wants see if we get anymore quotes before the 1st March
Very wise and now is about the right time to be shopping around for quotes. We never have breakdown insurance with an insurer as have Mayday through CAMC.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Under the new legislation insurers are not allowed to give discounts to new customers so the quote should be the same as if you were an existing one coming up to renewal.
I agree with Buckman although you can check the breakdown cover wording but I think it will not be as good as the ones offered by the two clubs. You need to make sure it includes the caravan breaking down, any maximum length restrictions that affect you and if you can get the double recovery assuming you feel you need this.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Under the new legislation insurers are not allowed to give discounts to new customers so the quote should be the same as if you were an existing one coming up to renewal.
I agree with Buckman although you can check the breakdown cover wording but I think it will not be as good as the ones offered by the two clubs. You need to make sure it includes the caravan breaking down, any maximum length restrictions that affect you and if you can get the double recovery assuming you feel you need this.
Not sure but BB may have a Motability vehicle which has its own breakdown cover? When we had a Motability vehicle back in 2010 we eventually managed got them to agree to cover caravan also, but by that time we had Mayday anyway. Just as well we had Mayday as we had to reject the car, but were able to transfer breakdown cover to the replacement vehicle which was not Motability.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure but BB may have a Motability vehicle which has its own breakdown cover? When we had a Motability vehicle back in 2010 we eventually managed got them to agree to cover caravan also, but by that time we had Mayday anyway. Just as well we had Mayday as we had to reject the car, but were able to transfer breakdown cover to the replacement vehicle which was not Motability.
Surely Ray’s point is not about the car but the caravan. I am sure standard basic AA cover is of no use to a caravanner. BB will no doubt enlighten us😉

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is about my wife car a Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 that due for renewal on 1st March so far had quotes from Dial Direct fully Comprehensive 11 years NCD Protected that included RAC breakdown cover help at roadside and recovery

Just check details more on this one ... AA fully Comprehensive Policy & AA breakdown cover but if you a new customer it (£15 Extra)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The Tiguan we brought new paid a deposit and the rest is history .

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
We have always shopped around after realising loyalty costs you money Direct Line was our preference for years until I tried the comparison web sites, and to be honest I've never looked back.
We had a person hit the wife's car whilst it was parked on our allotted space, our insurance company at the time, cant remember which couldn't have done more, next renewel price went up back on the comparison web sites again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts