Car insurance

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are some companies who increase the premiums if you have a no fault claim under pretence it means you are more likely to have one where you are at fault. It seems none sense to me and feels more like an excuse. All I can say is that Aviva took me on at standard rates after one so not all are doing that.
On a comparison site you cannot see if that is the case as the premium will vary quite a bit between companies. I would try an identical search, but miss out the accident and you will see where this happens, but do not use that search to buy the policy.

Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
The other thing that annoyed me was my premium went up because of an incident . Whilst car was parked a tipper lorry reversed into front of my car , they admitted fault. But now I have on my renewal that I have had an accident even though LV did not have to pay anything.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
An acquaintance of mine damaged their car on the drive, he phoned his insurance to make an enquiry only about claiming, decided not to bother as a body shop I use, the wife and bumpers whole other story, quoted £150.
Next renewal his price went up because as the insurance company said, he had admitted to damage!
Hadn't cost them a penny, utter cheek.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
An acquaintance of mine damaged their car on the drive, he phoned his insurance to make an enquiry only about claiming, decided not to bother as a body shop I use, the wife and bumpers whole other story, quoted £150.
Next renewal his price went up because as the insurance company said, he had admitted to damage!
Hadn't cost them a penny, utter cheek.
I reported to mine that a WVM might make a claim after he said he’d hit my rear end after he couldn’t merge into my lane. No marks on my car, and only slight low nearside scuff on his van. If he had hit me I think I’d have felt it but he may have touched my towball.
Anyway I’d told him he would be at fault anyway. I took several photos just in case.

Thought I would discuss with LV has I didn’t want to have a surprise claim imposed. After discussion the lady said with emphasis “ did I really wish to notify them”. I got the message and said that on reflection the guy was just bluster. So nothing went on the record.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife park her car at a supermarket when she came out someone had caught it on the left side at the back just missing the petrol tank . we decided because of the year of the car we dealt with it ourselves and it been a satisfactory result it has been checked out by a mechanic with no problems.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The last few posts raise a very important point. Disclosure.
I know as a fact “non disclosure of a material fact that may influence an Insurers decision to take on the risk and the premium charged”.
Food for thought. I crunched my own car two years ago on a gate. Never made a claim. Paid myself. Never disclosed. Was I wrong?? All thoughts welcome.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
No absolutely right-and they'll never know. The practice of putting the insurance up after you have had a no fault bump is a total con imo so I think you did the right thing entirely. None of their business! And how on earth will they ever know? Don't think the gate will fess up!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The last few post raise another issue. The failure to disclose a material fact is fraud, and the forum rules clearly state that posts that that encourage illegal activity should not be made.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If your insurance goes up as a result of a claim you can claim the extra back from the other insurer but only if you have not settled by then. I have however seen very few of these claims in my career possibly because many are settled before the injured party realises the problem, and very few people including their solicitors know.
Not all insurers do increase the premium for this, and a quick search should find you one that does not.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think Prof that you have to disclose any insurance claim and agree with holding that is fraud. Something I would never do nor would support. However if you have a minor bump and pay for it yourself eg via chips away I can't see how they can demand you disclose this as you've not claimed. However happy to be proved wrong as I'm not about to read the small print of my or any insurance to that degree. Similarly how do you stand if , as I did many years ago, you fall off your motorbike and damage it slightly but simply don't do anything. Idid replace the damaged crash bobbin which did its job-£60 but I left the tiny scratch as it was hardly visible and got a tad less when I pxed it?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think Prof that you have to disclose any insurance claim and agree with holding that is fraud. Something I would never do nor would support. However if you have a minor bump and pay for it yourself eg via chips away I can't see how they can demand you disclose this as you've not claimed. However happy to be proved wrong as I'm not about to read the small print of my or any insurance to that degree. Similarly how do you stand if , as I did many years ago, you fall off your motorbike and damage it slightly but simply don't do anything. Idid replace the damaged crash bobbin which did its job-£60 but I left the tiny scratch as it was hardly visible and got a tad less when I pxed it?
Most insurers ask the question "any accidents, claims or convictions" on the proposal - so you can't truthfully get away by ignoring accidents you never claimed for.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most insurers ask the question "any accidents, claims or convictions" on the proposal - so you can't truthfully get away by ignoring accidents you never claimed for.
If it was solo and not reported to the police, the insurance company will never know as no claim made.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I don't think chips away would exist if you went on this basis. I'll ring my ins to find out what they think if you like. I think they'll laugh I'll keep you posted. And the question if I sent my car but don't bother fixing it do I report it. ? Every teenager would be in a mess. And wheel companies. Touch the kerb. Ooh accident. I've paid to fix it so I'll report it?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Chips Away and similar repairers exist because small repairs can be done for less than the insurance excess on most policies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely a scrape against say a Devon hedge isn’t the sort of “ accident” that you would notify to your insurer if you planned to fund the repairs yourself.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The last few post raise another issue. The failure to disclose a material fact is fraud, and the forum rules clearly state that posts that that encourage illegal activity should not be made.
I have been very clear on Uberimmae Fides Prof. Non disclosure is a dangerous area. But there are matters that may or not be considered disclosable. There is no fit all answer. My post was to generate everyone’s thoughts. If I or any of us have breached Forum Rules surely one our Mods would say so? If I have , I apologise now.
Note, the Government run Speed awareness courses run for people breaking the speed limit Laws are not disclosable to Insurers.
Or , forgive my lack of knowledge, are you now a Mod? If so Congratulations, Too much work for me.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's for the insurer to decide what's insignificant, not the proposer.
I think that you are being unrealistic in expecting the policy holder to report minor accidents, scrapes etc if they dont involve a claim either by the policyholder or a potential third party. I’ve copied my obligations to my insurer for info:

“What are my obligations?
• At the start of the policy you must give complete and accurate answers to any questions we may ask you.
• You must let us know if your circumstances change either before your policy starts or during the period of insurance. This
includes if you change your car, the registered keeper, main driver, or want to add an additional driver, change of use, change
of occupation, change of address or changes to your car which improve its value, appearance, performance or handling.
• Premiums must be paid on time.
• You should ensure that your car is kept in a roadworthy condition and has a valid MOT if one is needed by law.
• If we’ve stated that you must have a working tracking device (shown on your personal details) this must always
be active when your car is left unattended. Keys or ignition devices must also be removed, windows and sun-roofs
closed and all doors locked.
• If you need to make a claim you must provide us with full details as soon as possible.
Failure to meet your obligations could result in a claim being rejected, we may reduce the amount of payment we make or we may cancel your policy”

Where does it include the expectations and obligations that you consider to be required?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I said that a tipper lorry reversed into me and he did say let him know the cost. I got his address which was a a cafe address which made me wonder if he would pay .Having thought about it went to LV The actual cost I did not get to know but the parts were around £1400, ie both headlamps bonnet and rad plus others . Had to have curtys car as it took couple of weeks, would the other driver pay that up front?.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think that you are being unrealistic in expecting the policy holder to report minor accidents, scrapes etc if they dont involve a claim either by the policyholder or a potential third party. I’ve copied my obligations to my insurer for info:

“What are my obligations?
• At the start of the policy you must give complete and accurate answers to any questions we may ask you.
• You must let us know if your circumstances change either before your policy starts or during the period of insurance. This
includes if you change your car, the registered keeper, main driver, or want to add an additional driver, change of use, change
of occupation, change of address or changes to your car which improve its value, appearance, performance or handling.
• Premiums must be paid on time.
• You should ensure that your car is kept in a roadworthy condition and has a valid MOT if one is needed by law.
• If we’ve stated that you must have a working tracking device (shown on your personal details) this must always
be active when your car is left unattended. Keys or ignition devices must also be removed, windows and sun-roofs
closed and all doors locked.
• If you need to make a claim you must provide us with full details as soon as possible.
Failure to meet your obligations could result in a claim being rejected, we may reduce the amount of payment we make or we may cancel your policy”

Where does it include the expectations and obligations that you consider to be required?
Thank you was beginning to think I was losing the plot here
Thanks C

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I said that a tipper lorry reversed into me and he did say let him know the cost. I got his address which was a a cafe address which made me wonder if he would pay .Having thought about it went to LV The actual cost I did not get to know but the parts were around £1400, ie both headlamps bonnet and rad plus others . Had to have curtys car as it took couple of weeks, would the other driver pay that up front?.
In your case I would have done the same thing and let my insurer sort it out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts