car tyre pressure

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, The tyre pressure for my car says 2.2 bar but even at that they still look a bit low, Should i put extra air in the rear when towing ?, any thoughts please.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
32psi for the rear seems quite low......

What size tyres have you got fitted ?

What is the max weight of the vehicle when loaded ?

Is there another plate anywhere with more info stamped on ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what car you have but ours have always had two pressures quoted the second for fully loaded. I would go with that one which our handbook suggests is correct.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have looked on the WWW, and so far I have not found the Elgrand listed as using 215/60/17's 16 & 18's yes but not 17's.

Probably like me Graham has only found a tyre pressure listed for 2.2Bar.

My Renault Espace grand only has R15 rears at 2.1 for normal running and 2.3 for heavy load and motorway running, so the 2.2 does not seem too far out of kilter.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Prof, i have done some homework and now know i have the wrong size tyre's , should be 215/65R/16 98S so 2.2bar may be correct for that tyre, now to find correct pressure for this tyre.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi WoodlandsCamper , the first thing i did was look on the tyre wall for the pressure but its not on them. I have put 3.1 bar in now and they look better. Time will tell.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Graham
We have a grey import Mazda Eunos, an MX-5 with more goodies than an UK model. The same vehicle.
What I do know is all Japanese imports , grey or otherwise, have the tyre pressures detailed on a sticker on the the drivers door frame . Do you have this?

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If somebody has fitted the wrong size tyres to your car , I'd also suggest that you check the tyres index load too.
not uncommon for somebody to fit tyres with the wrong index load either..whilst its not illegal if the index load is lower than standard your carrying capacity could be diminished or worse you could end up il with an overloaded car ...as for tyre pressures if it looks a tad low and not to your liking pump them up a few psi,as long as you dont go above the max psi for the tyres it should be fine might make the ride a tad harsher ... but if the tyre size is not one recommended by the car manufacturer you going to have to work out the approx psi yourself from the max psi and its index loading .there a a few sites that show you how ,pretty sure somebody on here will have a link

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cannot recommend over inflating just to make a tyre look right.

Tyres are the vehicles only contact with terra firma. Given their importance, tyre pressures should not be judged by eye, you should measure them and set them correctly.

Vehicle manufactures do not just throw any old tyre onto vehicles they will choose the size and rating with some considerable care, and they will determine the recommended pressures with good reason and based on testing looking at braking and cornering. So changing tyres to a different size should not be necessary but if it is done it needs to be considered very carefully, and properly researched.

In theory you should adjust your tyre pressure based on the exact weight of the vehicle, that may be practical for Formula 1, but not for the average motorist so the recommended pressures do contain some margin of compromise because the weight of the vehicle will continually change by a small amount, even on a single journey.

In the front of most Haynes car manual both over and under inflation are shown and its effect on tread wear, so there is good evidence that its sensible to inflate tyres to the appropriate range.

Tyre pressure gauges available to the general public are not accurately calibrated so its quite possible for the measured pressure could be out by 5%, so its very difficult to be precise. So this is a factor that car and tyre manufactures have to allow for in their suggestions.

What is also important is to ensure that tyres on a common axle are inflated equally.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I cannot recommend over inflating just to make a tyre look right.

Tyres are the vehicles only contact with terra firma. Given their importance, tyre pressures should not be judged by eye, you should measure them and set them correctly.

Vehicle manufactures do not just throw any old tyre onto vehicles they will choose the size and rating with some considerable care, and they will determine the recommended pressures with good reason and based on testing looking at braking and cornering. So changing tyres to a different size should not be necessary but if it is done it needs to be considered very carefully, and properly researched.

In theory you should adjust your tyre pressure based on the exact weight of the vehicle, that may be practical for Formula 1, but not for the average motorist so the recommended pressures do contain some margin of compromise because the weight of the vehicle will continually change by a small amount, even on a single journey.

In the front of most Haynes car manual both over and under inflation are shown and its effect on tread wear, so there is good evidence that its sensible to inflate tyres to the appropriate range.

Tyre pressure gauges available to the general public are not accurately calibrated so its quite possible for the measured pressure could be out by 5%, so its very difficult to be precise. So this is a factor that car and tyre manufactures have to allow for in their suggestions.

What is also important is to ensure that tyres on a common axle are inflated equally.

nobody has recommended over inflated the tyres! indeed there are no manufacturers figures for the non standard tyre size so how do you know by adding a few psi they would be over inflated Far.worse the OP could be running under inflated tyres. did that not cross your mind? what evidence do you have that the tyres are not under inflated? so i repeat if the OP thinks the tyres are low then he should add a few more psi.under inflated tyres are more dangerous than over inflated tyres under inflated means the tyres not being able to safely support the cars weight over heating and maybe popping .over inflated tyres means harsher ride and really over inflated tyre are only dangerous if you pump them above the MAX psi .don't think anyone advised that..

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Out of curiosity i have left my tyrepal monitor on the dash all week, and the difference in pressure can be seen from a cold mornig showing 31psi cold to 36psi on the motorway on a warm day like today....
the van tyres can increase by + 10psi on a hot day when being towed. ..a few years ago i got in touch with dunlop and asked the question about the increase in pressure and was told that it was normal & taken into account when manufacturing a tyre.

So if in doubt ask the tyre manufacturer for advice .....

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Sproket said:
Out of curiosity i have left my tyrepal monitor on the dash all week, and the difference in pressure can be seen from a cold mornig showing 31psi cold to 36psi on the motorway on a warm day like today....
the van tyres can increase by + 10psi on a hot day when being towed. ..a few years ago i got in touch with dunlop and asked the question about the increase in pressure and was told that it was normal & taken into account when manufacturing a tyre.

So if in doubt ask the tyre manufacturer for advice .....
yeah its amazing i have those tyre monitor things as standard on the car,although all readings are supposed to be done from cold .but even then it can read 2 to 3 psi different from a summers morning to a cold winters day..and of course who has a tyre reading device that is spot on or takes into account the slight loss when one pulls the cord off the wheel valve... its a good job tyres can operate safety over such a big range of pressures...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ok Jonny,

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'over' But it was pretty clear from the rest of my posting it was about inflation to the correct pressure, not simply to make a tyre look right.

We should be trying to offer sensible safe solutions to correspondents.

For you information I had considered the possibility the tyre could have been under inflated, and I totally agree about the dangers of under-inflation, but there are also other reasons that a tyre might visually appear under-inflated, for example:-

Perhaps the viewer does not know what the correctly inflated tyre would look like.
It may be over loaded.
It may be standing on uneven ground making the tyre appear to be under inflated.

But simply adding air to make it look right is never the correct thing to do, you should always discount the above reasons first.

Of course it may actually be under inflated, in which case it should re-inflated to the correct pressure.

If the wheel or tyre are not the OEM standard then the driver must either establish what the correct pressure regime should be, or have the correct wheel and tyres fitted. Do not simply guess, which is what your suggestion amounted too.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
interesting response prof..it is indeed important to give safe and informed information. which is exactly what i did given the information the OP had given and because i saw nobody picking up on this possibility i posted and i suggested he add a few psi if indeed the tyres looked under inflated ...now really should that not be the end of it.?but no you then make ill informed remarks about over inflation! so i have to post to further explain ! not once but twice it seems..so might i kindly point out your errors. .your first response to the OP an without any proper data available to you ,you suggested 2.2 bar seems to be in the right area! right area" surely that means it could be under inflated or indeed over inflated what did you base that on? oh that's right you guessed or worse used info from a different size tyre and wheel... well prof when i said add a few psi surely that too means its in the right area....!anyway.feel free to re read my post i believe they are self explanatory and give the OP all the steps he should take which incidentally some of the points you are now attempting to preach back to me' ..yes i agree you should be TRYING to offer sensible solutions to correspondents . on matters like this i will offer informed practical solutions its far to important a matter to just merely try to..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Graham,

If you have read this far down the thread, you will see that JonnyG and I have a difference of opinion and advice on the subject of your how to address the pressure concerns with your tyre size.

Please make your own mind up about which, (if either) of our suggestions makes best sense to you.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Moderator Note:
Having received several communications regarding the post submitted here, it has been removed as it was an unnecessary personal attack on another poster.

Whilst we all may not agree on certain postings, do NOT personalise responses.

The communications received were after Parksy had intervened as below.

Damian-Moderator

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately at this stage I have to intervene by using my moderators magic wand to take some of the heat out of this discussion in which a slight difference of opinion is beginning to shift attention from the good advice given to Graham so far.
I have not locked the topic at this stage primarily because Graham might like to reply to let us know what the correct pressures are for towing in his particular case.
I don't want to start throwing my weight around, particularly now that I've lost 6 stones :cheer: so please play nicely gentlemen :)

Graham is aware that his vehicle is fitted with non standard tyres and the safest solution would be to pop into any tyre depot anywhere at any time during their hours of business, and the tyre fitters will be more than happy to supply the correct information which they will have ready access to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts