Caravan and Low Cost Flights

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Just looking at the possibility of a combination of both a Caravan Holiday coupled with a destination for Low Cost Budget Airlines.

The idea is to travel to France with the Car & Van in June 08 stay around 4 weeks and then to hand the Van & Car over to our son and his wife for 2/3 weeks. Then back Home for us for those 2/3 weeks before flying back to France for another 4 weeks and then driving home with Van & Car!!!!!!! We live very near to an Airport here in the UK so transport etc at the UK end is no bother. Anyone any thoughts in favour or not.???

Val & Frank

Jun 28, 2006
Visit site
An option I am looking at is Fly-Drive, given high ferry, fuel and available time.

I saw that www.chester-motorhome-hire.com [I think that is it] are now hiring Mhomes from a base near Malaga.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Sounds like a good idea.

Transport to and from airport should not be a problem even if you lived miles away from the airport as you could use the car your son had left at the airport.

You would need to check insurance as said but you may also need to check with the site owners that a change of families is OK.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like a good idea to me Frank, hell of a long way for you to travel though.

Am I correct in thinking that you have a land cruiser, if so what is it like on fuel, town driving & towing?

Glad to see you are still on here.

Graham W.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Graham

I do have a LC it has just done 10000 miles so I am going to check the fuel consumption soon. I haven't looked at it yet, if it needs fuel I put it in,but after saying that it does look reasonable !!!!!!!!

Frank

G

You don't mention where in France you plan to stay. If it is near Paris then Air France run regular flights to the UK, if it is in the south then you are looking at 2 flights. Ryanair is fine I suppose (never used them myself) but they only fly to remote places like Stanstead. One option we loked at was to take the train to Paris, the TGV is probably as quick as plane if you include the shuttle times, and could be more fun.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi SL

Vendee or South West. Train down to London and the Shuttle + TGV would be to expensive ( family of 3 ).

ABZ to LTN and then any London Airport would be OK . AF ABZ to GDC don't offer any cheap flights unless you are flying on from CDG long haul.

Frank

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Ryanair fly Glasgow Prestwick to Stanstead. Stanstead have best options for onward travel to France.

Tours has TGV link for west coast.

At present you can fly for 1 pence plus tax to Stanstead and 1 pence plus tax to Tours.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We did a similar thing with my sister and her family - we chose Cambrils Park in Spain because it's a great site for a family holiday - and they flew to Reus on Ryanair, we flew back - then two weeks later we flew back again, and they flew home - and we towed the van home spending another couple of weeks in France. However, we did choose early season, so we could use Camping Cheques - and they did the same (there was no extra supplement for the children at Cambrils), so it made it a very cheap holiday for us all. Depending on what airports are available from your locality, there are some great sites around Nimes and Montpellier, and also around Rodez.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Val and Frank.

Most of the UK regional airports have cheap flights to South West France but from bitter experience, a small word of warning.

Because of the fact that flights from East Midlands were particularly convenient to us, we booked Ryanair flights to Girona ( just over the border into Spain ). Only after we had booked and paid did we discover that our so-called Pan-Eropean travel insurance no longer covers Spain and Portugal so I had to fork out an additional

G

Just one comment on Luton. Because so many people are now trying to avoid the Heathrow 'slum' Luton is now getting extremely busy and from the comments I have received from recent travellers there, is getting as bad as Heathrow.

Bluntly you get what you pay for, if you buy a cheap ticket then the service may not be what you would hope for, especially as i gather Ryanair now charge if you check in at the airport, or even if you wish to take baggage.

To quote an example, I recently flew from Edinburgh to Amsterdam by KLM. Due to the air traffic controllers at Edinburgh working to 'rule', that is they didn't turn up, we were 40 minutes late leaving and of course were late in Amsterdam. KLM had all those whose connecting flights were missed, lined up ready to get re-booked or hotel accomodation. I suspect the same treatment may not have been forthcoming from the 'cheapo' airlines.

You pay your money and take the chance.

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank

I agree with Scotch Lad in respect of paying your money and taking your choice relating to "budget" airlines vs "national" airlines.

However some "national" airlines have now introduced charges for nearly everything (luggage, choice of seats etc.).

If you do decide to go ahead with your plan and decide to use a budget airline I would suggest you look at Ryanair from Aberdeen to Dublin and thereafter you can choose where to fly to. As Dublin is the main hub for Ryanair there are numerous choices and it will save you crossing London.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Richard

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
For Ryan air I believe that Stanstead is the main hub and flys to more destinations than Dublin.

Stanstead also offers a tie in to use Easjet for Lyon or Nice or other budget airlines.

We have flown with Ryan Air, Easyjet and Flybe with next to no problem apart from a couple of short delays.

Make sure you arrive in plenty of time before your flight with correct travel paperwork and if you can manage with just hand bagage it is easy and the service no worse than BA or the other main carriers.

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jazzman

I don't want to get into a debate about where the main hub for Ryanair is but I think there are about the same number of destinations from Dublin as there is from Stanstead. BUT the point I was making for Frank's query is there is a direct flight by Ryanair from Aberdeen to Dublin but not from Aberdeen to Stanstead.

Additionally having flown extensively from both I would suggest that Dublin is the better airport of the two and there is then no need to transfer from one airport to another.

Cheers

Richard

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, the ABZ DUB was one connection I hadn't given thought to. In fact I just passed it on to a friend who has an apartment in Spain.

Thank's again

Frank

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, the ABZ DUB was one connection I hadn't given thought to. In fact I just passed it on to a friend who has an apartment in Spain.

Thank's again

Frank
Hi Frank.

Glad to be of assistance.

I have used the Dublin-Aberdeen Ryanair service a couple of times when travelling "home" to see friends and family (I live near Glasgow now and work during the week in Dublin but was born in Aberdeen). Bearing in mind that it is a "budget" airline I have found it to be a good service each time.

As previously mentioned if you do decide to do it give yourself plenty of time between connections as if there is a dleay in the flight from Aberdeen and you miss your connection, even if its another Ryanair flight, Ryanair will do nothing for you (they will not give you a refund or book you on another flight unless you pay the going rate for that flight).

Cheers.

Richard

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
RJC.

SORRY if I said the wrong thing, Ryan Air fly direct to Stanstead from Prestwick as I posted.

Apart from Ryanair Stanstead also gives more budget options if needed or if there is a problem.

If Frank lives in or near Aberdeen rather than near Glasgow as a "newbie" I'd only seen that he lived in Scotland and I am unaware as how I was supposed to know.

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
RJC.

SORRY if I said the wrong thing, Ryan Air fly direct to Stanstead from Prestwick as I posted.

Apart from Ryanair Stanstead also gives more budget options if needed or if there is a problem.

If Frank lives in or near Aberdeen rather than near Glasgow as a "newbie" I'd only seen that he lived in Scotland and I am unaware as how I was supposed to know.
Hi Jazzman

I didn't say you had said the wrong thing I was just pointing out that Ryanair fly to about as many destinations from Dublin as they do from Stanstead and wanted to share that with Frank as in my experience Dublin is a far better airport than Stanstead.

Cheers

Richard

G

There is just one small addition to the equation. Flying a 'national' airline can entitle you to airmiles etc. If you only fly once a year then there is little advantage, but if you are planning a few trips it can add up. Plus once you have a 'track record' you do get priority on either seating, upgrades or even getting on the plane when it is overbooked. Using a card such as Amex to pay for ther tickets can also get award points. I have managed a few cases of wine at their expense, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

All I am trying to say is that the upfront price is not necessarily the bargain it looks.

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I agree with Jazzman about using "airmiles". I am a member of the Aer Lingus loyalty scheme and tried to use the points last year to go to the States.

There were very few flights where the points could be used and even then the "tax" still had to be paid on the flights, so it worked out slightly more expensive but more convenient to use BA as they flew direct to my destination from Heathrow.

However the loyalty scheme does give me access to the Aer Lingus lounges and a few G&Ts after a hard week are always welcome on a Friday night!!!

Cheers

Richard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts