Caravan club booking

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
The CC should charge a deposit when booking so it stops people booking all the weekends up then cancelling at the last minute just because it's about to rain. If people don't think it's fair then it's probably them who are doing it all the time, any lost deposit could be past on the the new booking or to a local charity near that club site.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Maybe boring but it won't go away !! If it is only a fiver and is refundable if you cancel within 7 days, it may just help a little.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you like deposits so much try the Caravan and Camping club.

If you don't like or can't pay deposits just before Christmas the Caravan Club offer a no deposit system where everyone has the same opportunity to get organised and make their bookings on or from the same date.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Deposits are a no no in my book.

The CC just needs to readress the method of allocation between full weeks and weekends. It's ridiculous what happens at Chatsworth Park every year. Everyone should have an opportunity rather than join the great december bunfight.

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Why dosen't the CC use a method that you can only book weekends 2 weeks in adavance or eveni week, for a full week leave it as it is now, this way you won't get the people who book loads of weekends through the year then cancel at the last minute.

l am fraid it will be first come first served but l feel fairer.

Nigel H

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This topic was discussed on the forum at some length in February this year

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?FO=5&FM=432383
It was also discussed last December

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?FO=5&FM=427823
I'm not a CC member but I'd suggest to those who are and who find the CC's booking system unfair that they contact the CC

The only thing that will happen as a result of a repeat discussion on this forum is that opinions will become polarised as they invariably do.

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Boring, Boring, Heard it all before.!!
Jasper

Boring it may be. Remember lots of people joining this site all of the time and may find this new and or interesting. If your bored dont post amessage. find something you like.

Regards

new caravaner

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
NGH suggests restricting bookings for weekend bookers but leave things as they are for weekly bookers. Uh?

So what happens then, Ah I see I must be a bit slow, people booking full weeks can take 6 months to decide what they want and families who only have weekends available can't book in. Ah I see much fairer.

Strange, I thought all members paid the same subs and have the same ability to book.

The intimation that weekend bookers are the only people who cancel, which is clearly nonsense.

I understand that everyone wants specific dates, but you can't blame a group of people who do things differently to yourself and who have got off of their backsides and booked in the 1st few week the system opened.

The system fairly allows everyone to make their bookings from the same date so why blame those who actually got into first gear.

I had several weekends away last year at popular sites but didn't see any of these mythical empty pitches stretching into the wilderness and no signs up saying cancelled by a weekender. In fact the sites were full. This is a myth generated by disgruntled people who have left booking until too late and need someone to blame.

The answer to the problem is clear, don't wait 5 months before you attempt to book, get lively when the system opens.

I congratulate the Caravan Club on providing a product and system that is so popular and successful. And all for just

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Having recently booked a few sites on the Club internet booking system for the first time (rather than ringing uu) I am most impressed with the system but can see that it might encourage abuse. However I seem to remember that the club used to charge a deposit some years ago and it still had "No Shows". I have actually seen a couple pay for thier pitch on a club site, get in the car drive around the site (Bo Peep Farm)and leave. If paying for your pitch does'nt get one to stay I dont think a deposit will either. Incidentally I canceled a pitch this morning because it was blowing a gale and pouring down here in Cheshire and the idea of towing the van 150 miles without an urgent need to do so seemed suficient reason.

Dave

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thorpedo, not having ago at week enders having ago at the people that book cosiderable amounts of weekends at the opening of the system knowing full well they don't intend to take up all of them.

Don't say it dosn't happen ask the club wardens they know it goes on but can't do anything about it, l feel these people are selfish and spoil it for the rest, bet the same people if bread went scarce they would be the ones stock piling it.

NigelH

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
NGH suggests restricting bookings for weekend bookers but leave things as they are for weekly bookers. Uh?

So what happens then, Ah I see I must be a bit slow, people booking full weeks can take 6 months to decide what they want and families who only have weekends available can't book in. Ah I see much fairer.

Strange, I thought all members paid the same subs and have the same ability to book.

The intimation that weekend bookers are the only people who cancel, which is clearly nonsense.

I understand that everyone wants specific dates, but you can't blame a group of people who do things differently to yourself and who have got off of their backsides and booked in the 1st few week the system opened.

The system fairly allows everyone to make their bookings from the same date so why blame those who actually got into first gear.

I had several weekends away last year at popular sites but didn't see any of these mythical empty pitches stretching into the wilderness and no signs up saying cancelled by a weekender. In fact the sites were full. This is a myth generated by disgruntled people who have left booking until too late and need someone to blame.

The answer to the problem is clear, don't wait 5 months before you attempt to book, get lively when the system opens.

I congratulate the Caravan Club on providing a product and system that is so popular and successful. And all for just

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I know what you mean NGH, I'm sure the flexibility of the system does get abused, but my point is I keep seeing one group of users blaming the other for non availability and cancellations, when I doubt one group is more culpable than the other.

As I've posted previously, if you cancel a week you cancel 7 nights, you would need to cancel 3.5 weekends to match that heinous crime.

I have a couple of long weekends booked in the spring but I also want a week in the summer which is not booked, I'm accepting that my lack of organisation and the popularity of the CC club means I may have to look at CL's for the week or commercial sites, but I'm not going to blame another group of users for my lack or organisation.

And back to the original topic, if deposits were required I would probably cease to be a member. If there were lots of people like me the CC club would take a heavy drop in earnings which would impact on every member in some way.

G

There are points for both sides in this discussion. Yes, if you wish to get a specific site for a specific date then book as early as possible. That is logical. However, many people do not know where they will be going until close to the actual time, especially if they wish to go for longer than a weekend. The weather in the UK is so unpredictable that it is natural to wait and see what are the likely options. Should one go south, east or west for the dry sunny weather?? Also, if one is travelling a long distance from Scotland to the South West for example, it is no fun to arrive on Monday and be told to leave on Friday just so others can have their 48 hours of frivolity, and then skip their 10 miles back up the road to home. I fully accept that sites will be full over the school holidays and over Bank Holidays, and usually do not travel these times. But to find sites booked solid at weekends late into September does make one a little frustrated. It ceratinly takes away the original idea of caravanning as a 'freedom to travel' hobby. Now it is becoming more like Butlins every year.

By the way, although 1 week does equate to 3.5 weekends in horological time, it does not equate directly in access. 3.5 weekends equates more directly to 3-4 weeks of time that could be utilised. So the net 'loss' to the sites is not as clear cut as may seem.

We have decided for a number of reasons to limit our time on UK sites, and tend to head for Europe where access outwith the mad season of late July is a lot less hassle.

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Without sounding like a goody two shoes again (waste water topic) I book a weekendand stick to it as I am looking forward to getting away for a rest (I mentally leave work behind as we tow out of our hometown) If I had to cancel I would not be happy as it would probably have been due to illness or crisis. Our family like to have something to look forward to and we book our main 2 weeks for this reason. We have had problems with weekends in August and after struggling for weekends the last two years at this time I have made a note to book earlier for weekends during August. However, I believe this was all genuine holidaymakers enjoying their touring during this main summer month.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
I really can't get to grips with this mad Dec booking thing and no deposits needed as it seems to end up in every site being fully booked nearly all the time so new or less skilled members who don't have the time, knowledge or energy to battle this can't get a pitch then it turns out that many pitches are cancelled at last minute causing more disappointment and wasted revenue.

There surely must be an easier & fairer system than the present one which I must say leaves me cold.

The C&CC is so much easier to use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In a recent reply to me on the subject of CC site bookings the Club said that they had considered not releasing all pitches at one time but felt that this would disadvantage as many as i would help. They felt the only transparent way of handling bookings was to make all pitches available so that all members had a fair chance. The problem with putting obstacles in place, such as deposits, restrictions on how many pitches/weekends you can book is that you continue to disadvanatge some element of the membership. Most complaints about the current system come from people who have been disappointed in not getting the sites they want. I just wonder how they would feel if all sorts of suggest remedies were put in place but they found themselves in exactly the same position the following year? One of the reasons why it seems to be easier to book CC&C sites is that people who are members of both book via the CC first and the CC&C second simply because it is the easier option.

David

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Membership of the CC is reported to be on the increase. However, there is a finite number of pitch/nights available on CC sites. It's no good saying "get organised" and book as soon as next year's bookings open because if there aren't enough spaces somebody won't get the booking they want. You can't get a quart in a pint pot! Because of Mrs Chrisbee's job we only get a couple of weeks notice of when we can get away. Consequently, we have never stayed on a CC site, instead favouring CL's. However, once booked we have only once had to cancel, that was only the first of 5 nights booked due to the only towcar requiring sudden mechanical repairs. I offered to pay the site owner for that night but he very kindly declined to take my money.

A deposit system would, as others have said, perhaps stop the multiple bookings that apparently go on, leaving spare capacity for late bookings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To all the people who keep moaning about weekenders filling up the sites so that they are unable to book, deposits are not the answer, two many members , just increase the weekend site fees that would reduce a few perhaps.

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
The one big advantage of the current system is that it forces one to look around at other sites other than the Caravan Club.

We have just spent a week away, went to book a CC site, it was full on one of the nights. Looked on UKcampsites, found an even better one and cheaper. If forces one to look outside the box.

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
Is it not about time that this topic was put to bed, surely all the people that belong to the CC and dissagree with advance booking,deposits or anything else either put there money were there mouth is an complain to the club they pay there subscription to or stop paying and go somewere else ( the sites will still be full at weekends what ever they say or do) ,

Dont mean to be rude put as lifetime caravanner and an avid fan of this forum ,it gets a bit boring when this subject comes up every few weeks , There I have got that off my chest

Baza

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Jasper

Boring it may be. Remember lots of people joining this site all of the time and may find this new and or interesting. If your bored dont post amessage. find something you like.

Regards

new caravaner
Ian if you scroll down the page you will find a similar thread that yet again goes over the same old arguments.

Perhaps read over some of the earlier threads before posting .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Baza

I couldn't agree more. The repetition of various topics happens too often here. I put it down to the fact that the search engine is next to useless all because Lord Hezza wont spend the money on an upto date computer system.

In fairness, this time Parksy did give a steer to the previous posts.

I guess we also have to remember there are a lot of new members who want to discuss this subject and haven't had the benefit of our years of memberhip.

Equaly have you noticed how a lot of the caravan magazines repeat a number of topics , year in year out? Inevitable with more newbies becoming caravnners.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts