caravan club or caravan and camping club

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Can only comment on Caravan Club, as we chose that one for no particular reason some years back. Sites are first-class and very well managed. Toilet/shower/washing facilities excellent. Lots of sites in very wide range of locations. Fellow caravanners friendly and helpful.

Caravan Club good value, if only for the monthly magazine and excellent web site.

Get impression that CCC use more commercial sites, more young family - and entertainment-oriented (but might be wrong).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jaybee,

I am a member of both,I would say CC has the edge on cleanliness and general layout of sites.We also use our tent for some breaks,so that is where being a member of the CCC comes in useful sometimes.

The CC states in the Sites Directory that some sites take tents, I have phoned 7 CC sites in Scotland trying to book a tent pitch for 3 nights next week but they only allow small backpackers tents..who are not CC members..mmmmm strange....regards

Feb 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi jaybee

We are members of both clubs. Must admit I also think the CC sites are better than CC & C sites. Reason we joined is that with both clubs you know you are going to have good facilities. We go to more cc sites that CC & C sites.

Jane

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
jaybee....we are members of both clubs also. I agree the CC has the edge over CC&C for general standards of cleanlieness. They are consistently good!

In saying that we have stayed on some good CC&C sites and they are a tad cheaper.

You can also book online without paying upfront with the CC which is good if your plans change although this is abused by some members who make bookings, just incase they go, and then they cancel at the last minute, if they cancel at all? This is so frustrating for the wardens who end up with empty pitches when they could have sold them.

However, I found that the CC&C offered much better deals on their "Carefree" long term European personal cover, breakdown and repatraition insurance than the CC "Red Pennant" which is excellent for cover but it is much more expensive and restrictive for those wanting long term cover.

At around

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
we have been members of both clubs for the past 3 years, but as C&CC now only take payment by Direct Debit I have decided not to renew.

not had any bad experiences with them, just not had any experience at all! only used CC sites, which we are really happy with - also I believe that C&CC dont take one night bookings, which we need for "stop-overs".

Mark (",)

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hiya

we are members of both and it depends on what you are looking for in a site really.

CC club sites are well maintained and very clean but tend to have the appearance of carparks - lots of hard standing and all in neat rows. Lots of rules and mainly older people who are retired so they can feel rather sterile and empty.

CC&C sites are more natural with a lot more grass pitches, older facilities but still very clean. More families, still lots of rules but they seem to have more life to them somehow.

The good thing about CC is you can pre-book all your weekends without having to pay a deposit so you know that you are guaranteed weekends away throughout the summer months when things can get really booked up.

C&CC make you pay a deposit but I believe that if you have to cancel for whatever reason that deposit will go into a holding account and you can use it on your next booking.

We like both clubs - you get a monthly magazine and each are cheaper to stay at than the commercial sites plus you get a nicer class of person I think. No chavs, no loud music or drunkenness or if you do get that it is dealt with by the wardens.

Also of course you get to go on the rallies that both of them hold and they are very cheap and in fields so probably a bit more close to nature again.

I would recommend both clubs for different reasons so it depends on your family circumstances.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
We were members of both clubs but now are just with the C&CC, their Arrival Breakdown service is better than Mayday and we prefer their sites as they are slightly less regimented and seem more family friendly, we used to get dirty looks for daring to have small children and not having a new car & caravan for some reason.

We also like being able to decide at the last minute about going on a rally which we can do with the C&CC but always were told we had to pre book rallys with CC which we found difficult.

It's down to personal choice & experience,a lot of people are in both clubs so try them out & see what you think.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Was a member of both but now only in the C.C.

Try both for one year and then decide. For me there was no choice. The C.C. sites are and look far more cleaner, the magazine is of far superior quality and isn't printed on re-cycled toilet paper (blame David Bellamy for that).

The wardens are more friendly and don't act as if they have just ended their army career. Theres no tents with the problems they sometimes bring. No stupid early arrivals rule.I don't know what experience Caroline & Simon have had regarding breakdowns but I've used Mayday twice and cannot fault them - excellent service. I'm also surprised at the regimented and car park comments above, I'm not too sure what sites they've used but it cannot be the same as ourselves.

In truth I should be encouraging you to join the C.C.C. so there's more room for us :O)

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, I think, is that on CC sites you can usually choose your own pitch but on CCC it is, most often, allocated. We have been members of both clubs for over three years and agree that CC have the edge on cleanliness but the main thing I have noticed is that on a CCC site, the Caravaners and Campers are more likely not to use the mop provided in the shower block than on a CC site. In fact, I recently heard one lady tell a teenager not to bother as that was the wardens job, and attitude I was disgusted with.

Denise

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes, a very good point Denise, one I'd overlooked. I suppose that comes under the point I made about regimentation, go where I tell you to, hehheh!

My main complaint was when arriving at 11.40am with my indicators not working I was told I had to pay the

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
p.s. I can see my campaign posters/headlines now

"Dont hold back, Braykewynde for Britain"

"Blair today, Braykewynde tomorrow"

"Braykewynde will send immigrants scurrying back to where they came from"

"Braykewynde will cure the N.H.S. waiting lists".

"Braykewynde will out perform the Garlic Breaths at E.U. summits".

"Braykewynde introduces roughage/high fibre to the Nations diet".

"Braykewynde says more action and less gassing in Parliament".

"Braykewynde cuts greenhouse gasses by fitting anal filters to cows".

"Public toilets to have gas storage devices where it can be fed into the network and used for domestic use".

"I will introduce clinics where people can learn breathing exercises so leading to less intake of air resulting in less flattulence".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So what did you do, Lordy, just watch? Or report the incident to the site managers? I've never witnessed bad behaviour on that scale, but I have seen site managers intervene very quickly when rules were being infringed - ball games or cyclying between units for example. Nor have we ever noticed that 'tenters' behaved in a way that was any less responsible than 'caravanners'; in fact, many people have both tent and caravan and even more caravanners started out in tents.

We have never felt that we have been directed to a pitch on a C&CC site: usually, when we arrive, we are asked what sort of pitch we want - in the shade/in the open, near the toilet block/playground, etc. We have often been shown a map of the site to help with our choice. After that, we have been shown to a pitch, but if for any reason we do not think it suitable, an alternative can almost always be suggested. Where is the problem with that?

We do, as a matter of fact, find many Caravan Club sites rather carpark-like. The hardstandings themselves are part of this, but also, of course, the need to pitch on a precise spot, parallel to the next outfit, which follows from having hard-standings, exagerates this impression. It is purely personal preference, but it doesn't provide the sort of ambience in which I can really relax.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Read above, I shouted at the kid, and yes, I was now so **** off that I was looking for a confrontation with the parents.

Regarding reporting them to the Warden, if she had no compassion in sending me back out into the traffic what compassion would she show about the ducks?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
So what did you do, Lordy, just watch? Or report the incident to the site managers? I've never witnessed bad behaviour on that scale, but I have seen site managers intervene very quickly when rules were being infringed - ball games or cyclying between units for example. Nor have we ever noticed that 'tenters' behaved in a way that was any less responsible than 'caravanners'; in fact, many people have both tent and caravan and even more caravanners started out in tents.

We have never felt that we have been directed to a pitch on a C&CC site: usually, when we arrive, we are asked what sort of pitch we want - in the shade/in the open, near the toilet block/playground, etc. We have often been shown a map of the site to help with our choice. After that, we have been shown to a pitch, but if for any reason we do not think it suitable, an alternative can almost always be suggested. Where is the problem with that?

We do, as a matter of fact, find many Caravan Club sites rather carpark-like. The hardstandings themselves are part of this, but also, of course, the need to pitch on a precise spot, parallel to the next outfit, which follows from having hard-standings, exagerates this impression. It is purely personal preference, but it doesn't provide the sort of ambience in which I can really relax.
You can drop the formalities of calling me Lordy, His Windyship will do beings this is an informal site :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Oh BTW, the site I was referring to was at Winchcombe. In the C.C.C. site book it showed pictures of the ducks and even mentioned them. If people hate ducks why go there in the first place.

In our 12 months membership we also went to 5 other sites apart from Winchcombe and we were allocated pitches at all of them. Loch Lomond and Rosemarkie were 2 sites that I recall going to.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
The CC also have a no arrivals before 12 policy at many of their sites. We read this about Chatsworth and got there spot on 12 and were admitted to our (allotted) pitch however the people next door to us had turned up at 11.30 and had been turned away even though their pitch was ready for them. There was no option to pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to agree , I think its slightly snobbish to say tent campers bring problems.I have both caravan and tent and use both for holidays.I have to agree that people in tents are as friendly as folks in caravans.

Its not what they holiday in that they should be judgede.If anything caravaners.I have been on CC sites and witnessed people being ejected from site for there behaviour and been pitched next to the neighbours fron hell,so again its not what they are in its who they are..........regards

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The CC also have a no arrivals before 12 policy at many of their sites. We read this about Chatsworth and got there spot on 12 and were admitted to our (allotted) pitch however the people next door to us had turned up at 11.30 and had been turned away even though their pitch was ready for them. There was no option to pay

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
kathryn, I have just checked the Chatsworth page and under the instructions on how to get there it says in capital letters ...

ARRIVALS BEFORE 12.30PM ARE TURNED AWAY.

The reason for this, as you will know, is the entrance road is single track with a bottle neck at the end so in my opinion the people who get turned away deserve all they get.

I've just been to Englethwaite Hall C.C. site and could see we were going to arrive early so I pulled into a services on the M6. My wife then rang the site and explained we had made good time and was early and they told us to carry on because they aren't strict on the arrivals time.

All it takes is a courtesy phone call to the site and I'm sure the wardens appreciate it.

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Caravan club sites are a little more upper class my dear, stay with them and you cant go wrong. If your a noisy blighty with kids and a football go to the CACCC we dont bloody want you .until they leave home or on a leash....

If you drink Red Rouge Vino then come along we like a good sipp up

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
when we worked for the c&cc tenters were a pain in the rear we tried to keep them away from the caravans the dirt and the noise some of them but not all were just rabble. they messed up the ablutions but did not clean up after themselves if they were more than 50 yards away from the toilets they would use bin liners or the hedgerows. emtying the bins on some days was horrific.Im a member of the CC and they have tenters on some sites but thankfully in a seperate field,this was only a few tenters that spoild it thank god

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
when we worked for the c&cc tenters were a pain in the rear we tried to keep them away from the caravans the dirt and the noise some of them but not all were just rabble. they messed up the ablutions but did not clean up after themselves if they were more than 50 yards away from the toilets they would use bin liners or the hedgerows. emtying the bins on some days was horrific.Im a member of the CC and they have tenters on some sites but thankfully in a seperate field,this was only a few tenters that spoild it thank god
Allen,

why do you say thank god tenters were in a seperate

field and then go on to say it was only a few that

caused problems.

That would mean you clearly think tenters are the

problem and all caravaners are perfect.

You have confirmed that there is snobbish views

among SOME caravaners.........

TRENDING THREADS