Caravan Club pitches

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I remember quite a long time ago that the caravan club revised its rules regarding parking caravans on pitches, it stated that at the wardens discretion, a member could place his caravan anywhere on the pitch, facing sideways, or whatever, as long as there was the necessary distance between the caravans for fire safety, has anyone seen this on the sites network? I must admit, most caravan club sites we've visited in the last two or three years since the rule was passed are still using the "peg" and asking the member to reverse in a certain way on the pitch. Was this new rule thrown out or does it still apply?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lorraine, I always pitch according to whether I'm putting an awning up or not. I've never intentionally pitch according to the peg and have never been told by a warden that I've pitched wrongly. I think the peg is there as a guide and the wardens trust your judgement, unlike that other club (whispers C.C.&C. incase chrissie is listening) where the warden cycles off in front, arms waving, (a string of onions always comes to mind at this point) showing you your allotted place and lines you up on the pitch incase you stray a centimetre off course.

I did use a private site near Shrewsbury once and pitched nose first so we could overlook the lake. After setting up, the owners daughter came running saying I had to pitch the other way because of fire regs and the doors had to be on the same side. If I had a continental van with the door on the opposite side I would have been ok with a fine view. It was the first time I had come across racism against caravans :O( hehheh!

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
we have an Eriba with the door on the "wrong" side, and have experienced no problems on CC sites pitching the caravan with it's bum hanging out... Mark (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Actally, I've never had a bad experience with this, either on a CC or a C&CC site (all the staff ever do is check that you are the regulation 6m away from the next unit, and suggest that, if you want to catch the sun, for instance, a particular orientation might be best - and they often help to push the van into position, etc!). My only bad experience of this sort was on a large commercial site in Woodhall Spa, where, as we were setting up, a lady came racing over to inform us that our van was the wrong way round and we had to turn it through 90 degrees - no reason, it was just the rules. As we were then kept awake until after midnight by some sort of barn-dance in a marquee only about 100 metres from our pitch, we made up our minds never to go there again. (There are two good club sites in the area, so why subject ourselves to that?).

I still feel the prevalence of hard-standings on CC sites largely dictates pitching in a very regimented fashion, but then I don't like hard-standings anyway. I prefer the grass beneath my feet!

May 10, 2007
Visit site
The first time we used a CC site three years ago the warden guided me back and forth until the van was centred milimetre true on the peg.

As we setup the awning a site regular arrived and took the pitch next to us, reversed in and then moved the peg to the centre rear of the van followed by another regular a litle later who pitched upposite us and again moved the peg.

Over the following days we noted the same action, new to site arrivals had the back and forth reversing guidance whilst the regulars were left to get on with it and just moved the peg that was then moved back by the wardens if they left.

We've only used CC site three or four times since and have just been asked to reverse the van near to the peg.

Can somebody tell me how they work out rulings based on fire safety when many caravans are left unattended much of the time and are pitched with legs down often on blocks and with wheel locks and hitch locks in place and with awnings on the side.

If the idea is that they tow caravans near to a fire out of the way I guess that the fire brigade will have arrived before most vans can be moved.

James

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Actally, I've never had a bad experience with this, either on a CC or a C&CC site (all the staff ever do is check that you are the regulation 6m away from the next unit, and suggest that, if you want to catch the sun, for instance, a particular orientation might be best - and they often help to push the van into position, etc!). My only bad experience of this sort was on a large commercial site in Woodhall Spa, where, as we were setting up, a lady came racing over to inform us that our van was the wrong way round and we had to turn it through 90 degrees - no reason, it was just the rules. As we were then kept awake until after midnight by some sort of barn-dance in a marquee only about 100 metres from our pitch, we made up our minds never to go there again. (There are two good club sites in the area, so why subject ourselves to that?).

I still feel the prevalence of hard-standings on CC sites largely dictates pitching in a very regimented fashion, but then I don't like hard-standings anyway. I prefer the grass beneath my feet!
At one time I too preferred grass, but that was back in my courting days :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Your comment is interesting about the C.C. James. In all honesty I have not once been watched OR instructed where to pitch at their sites. Are you sure someone hasn't stuck a L plate on the back of your caravan.

Again, I have never, ever seen anyone move the marker pegs, perhaps I should spend more time watching others pitch.

It would be interesting to see if other forum members have seen, or are guilty of moving the markers or having a warden take them and show them how to pitch.

I'm sure that if it happened to me it would come as such a shock I'd have to make some kind of sarcastic comment.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Lord B I quote

It would be interesting to see if other forum members have seen, or are guilty of moving the markers or having a warden take them and show them how to pitch.

I'm sure that if it happened to me it would come as such a shock I'd have to make some kind of sarcastic comment

I cant believe (what with reading all your posts with interest) that you would make a sarcastic comment ever. hehehe ~0

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also mainly use club sites, my interpretation of this is that if you pitch on grass they like you to back the centre of the van to the peg, but if you are on a hardstanding you can pitch the van anyway you want as long as your van and awning remain on your hardstanding.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B I quote

I'm sure that if it happened to me it would come as such a shock I'd have to make some kind of sarcastic comment

I cant believe (what with reading all your posts with interest) that you would make a sarcastic comment ever. hehehe ~0

Kevin H
Lmaaaaooooo , trust you to pick me up on that.I was wondering who would be first, you win the prize of a nights entertainment with Mabel the Milkmaid. :OP

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We also mainly use club sites, my interpretation of this is that if you pitch on grass they like you to back the centre of the van to the peg, but if you are on a hardstanding you can pitch the van anyway you want as long as your van and awning remain on your hardstanding.
Thank you Richard, that might explain it because we always have hardstandings because with 3 dogs it's a pain traipsing grass clippings into the van.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B I quote

Kevin H
Kevin,I have mentioned to Mabel that she will be entertaining you and she asked me to pass you a message. She asked if you will be patient for a week or so because she needs to look her best for you and at the moment her dentures are away being repaired. Hope you don't feel too disappointed but I'm sure she will be worth the wait.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B I quote

Kevin H
p.s. if you do feel disappointed and feel you cannot wait that long I do have an alternative of a blow-up doll called Maybelline :O)

May 10, 2007
Visit site
It only happened at the one site Lord B and it was on grass and the wardens, husband and his wife both did the reversing guidance.

We went to Hargill house last year and as we have a long caravan the wardens there just asked us to remove the peg and park as near as possible and then centre the peg behind the van and the warden at Lower Clough Foot did the same. Both on Grass!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Maybelline, would be fine, or I could wait the week. No denturs are also fine, over 40 now and not so fussy.

She however will have to wait for me as were off to Loire valley tomarow for 2 weeks so could drop by the estate the week we get back!!

Kevin H

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Have a safe journey Kevin and a good time. Hope the weather is good for you, more chance of it there than here :O)

Mabel sends love and slobbers.
I will be glad when her dentures are fixed Kevin. She ain't a pretty site, sat on that stool miking the cow while dribbling in the pail :O(

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Lord B and LMH, weather over there is same as here at moment, but were on holiday thats the main thing

Thanks for your good wishes and speek when we return

Kevin H

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Back to the thread.....

I've used CC sites for 4 years and have always been told to site to the peg, when on grass pitches. Some sites centre to the peg, some tell you to position offside/nearside 'van corner to the peg.

I've never seen anyone moving a peg............very clever idea, as long as it's not too far.

Not all CC sites let you park as you will on hardstandings, either - some demand an awning - caravan - car set up.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at hurn lane ,CC site ,last week ,after picking up a new caravan from Highbridge caravans ,as i wasn,t putting an awning up ,i reversed in on a hardstanding ,and parked the car where the awning would be ,there was ample space between units ,after some hours a warden stopped by our unit ,and said you have to park ,car offside caravan then awning ,we have had complaints from the air ambulance ,i didnt say any thing,but what has the air ambulance to do with caravanning ,twice i have been to this site this year and each time i have seen cars driving around the wrong way ,any way i enjoyed the centenary celebrations free drinks and food ,before we moved up to Lucksall caravan park in Hereford for the start of the fishing season,and when we arrived there we were not allowed to pitch side ways on ,even though the pitches on the riverside are larger than normal ,because of health and safety

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As I put in another post joby, it has something to do with fire regulations and the doors being on the same side of pitched caravans. IMO though, totally stupid and another case of the Nanny State we have become. Unfortunately, people like Lucksall have to comply or lose their license. What the hell the air ambulance has to do with how you pitch beats me though, just out of curiosity I would have had to ask.

Did you have any luck at Lucksall or just catch minnows and gudgeon? hehheh!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
As I put in another post joby, it has something to do with fire regulations and the doors being on the same side of pitched caravans. IMO though, totally stupid and another case of the Nanny State we have become. Unfortunately, people like Lucksall have to comply or lose their license. What the hell the air ambulance has to do with how you pitch beats me though, just out of curiosity I would have had to ask.

Did you have any luck at Lucksall or just catch minnows and gudgeon? hehheh!
Hi Lord B ,as you probabley know the river was high and chocolate brown,but i managed to catch 3 Barbel ,best one 9lb ,and a few chub best one 6lb ,and thats a good size for a chub ,but that was one hell of a storm we had last tuesday night ,one of the caravan awnings was flattened at Lucksalls even though it had storm straps on ,some of the steel poles were bent at right angles ,i shall be back there at the end of July ,first week in August ,just hope i dont see another storm like that one

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We have just returned from West Ayton CC site. Found to our amazement a couple of vans paked parallel to the peg. My understanding is that you can park on (hard standings) with the car on either side of the unit as long as you don't erect an awning. If so then the awning - van - car must be parked within the hardstanding area of your pitch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts