Caravan Cover Advice.

Sep 9, 2023
Visit site
I have just purchased and fitted a Breathable Caravan Cover after paying out for some damp repairs. Ok, some might say Stable Door, Horse and Bolted. The repairer suggested I get a cover. He also suggested I leave a few windows open with the catches fixed in the ventilation position. I would be interested in any feedback on this. In particular problems with insects getting inside. I keep my caravan in storage and only visit it briefly once a month.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I wouldn't give it amoments thought, I often leave my windows on ventilation catch and never have an insect problem. I don't have a cover.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I don't have a cover because it would probably mean removing the aerial and I am not convinced that wind movement would not scuff the windows even with the quality covers.
I leave one window on the vent catch as the bottom vents and the Heki roof vent seem to me to be enough.
I am fortunate enough to store at the side of the house so that I can keep a close eye on things.
I can well understand that with the price of newer vans that people would want to wrap them up tight, it is hard to know what to do for the best.
I have trees and a bridleway at the side of the drive but I have never had a problem with insects in the van

May 25, 2023
Visit site
In the golden days caravanning with 5 (minimum) children and foot pumping water our vans were always left uncovered and used for sleep overs all weathers . Fifty years later - five motorhomes and now a caravan - have always wrapped and unpacked. When I look out of the bedroom window in the mornings and see it covered I feel better. We are in the middle of nowhere and I cover it after it’s been cleaned at the end of the season(for us) and take great delight in uncovering it all sparkly clean in the spring. I don’t think they make them like they did and the cover gives me peace of mind.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On caravan we use to leave the windows on the first catch and we brought a Purpleline protector for aerial and flue then the breathable cover on at storage

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We never leave the windows open if the caravan is empty. There is enough ventilation built in and in almost 40 years we have not had a problem.
I am not convinced by covers and at 77 I am not sure I am up to fitting them, they work for some people. As far as preventing leaks are concerned I suspect they simply mask the problem if you have one. If it does, the problem would possibly not show up until a subsequent owner had it though.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We never leave the windows open if the caravan is empty. There is enough ventilation built in and in almost 40 years we have not had a problem.
I am not convinced by covers and at 77 I am not sure I am up to fitting them, they work for some people. As far as preventing leaks are concerned I suspect they simply mask the problem if you have one. If it does, the problem would possibly not show up until a subsequent owner had it though.
I think you have a very valid point. I am not a hero for Caravan roof covers, or Front covers.
. I store our caravan under cover in a barn and now get the van serviced every two years, in March normally.
So in theory if I put the van away in mid November and don't use it until March it has 4 months to dry out if it has a slight damp leak.
I know the van is dry as I check it myself. But if a someone was buying it in June it might have 6 months to dry out and I could unknowingly sell a van that has leak.
Two edged sword.

It all comes back to The Caravan Industry, should seal the caravans better.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think you have a very valid point. I am not a hero for Caravan roof covers, or Front covers.
. I store our caravan under cover in a barn and now get the van serviced every two years, in March normally.
So in theory if I put the van away in mid November and don't use it until March it has 4 months to dry out if it has a slight damp leak.
I know the van is dry as I check it myself. But if a someone was buying it in June it might have 6 months to dry out and I could unknowingly sell a van that has leak.
Two edged sword.

It all comes back to The Caravan Industry, should seal the caravans better.
I think in the US many houses are built using timber frame probably similar to a caravan. Surely they don't all leak like UK caravans? I have zero knowledge of US homes.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think in the US many houses are built using timber frame probably similar to a caravan. Surely they don't all leak like UK caravans? I have zero knowledge of US homes.
They're rigid enough to be jacked up onto a trailer and moved 100s of miles to a new location

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The timber framed house that I rented in Ottawa didn't leak. Cannot say the same for the Jeep.

View attachment 5914
Yep you will have leaks with that Jeep!
They're rigid enough to be jacked up onto a trailer and moved 100s of miles to a new location
However in the UK even if you are on a seasonal site all year round they will still leak at some point. The only caravan that we had for more than 5 years that did not leak was our 2004 Lunar Lexon 640.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

However in the UK even if you are on a seasonal site all year round they will still leak at some point. The only caravan that we had for more than 5 years that did not leak was our 2004 Lunar Lexon 640.
My 10 year old Coachman is still damp free, and we do use it in the rain.

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I think you have been unlucky although the caravan builders record on this is very poor. We have had eight caravans over the years and only one a lunar suffered from a serious leak. Our six year old Avondale did get damp but in an area where there was an accident repair which may have been a faulty repair and when we went to trade in our 10 year old Coachman the dealer suggested there was some minor damp around the rear handles but not enough to reduce the trade in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts