caravan cover

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
hello, can anyone give advice on using a caravan cover, i seem to be getting mixed messages, some people say they are brilliant during winter an they give you peace of mind but some are saying they are not good for the van as the seals can dry out, please advise, thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jeff

There are pro's and cons

We had a cover last year for the first time and my experience has been

For:

I live in an urban area and the cover prevented the heavy air pollution from leaving too many marks on the caravan

We didn't have to worry too much about spent fireworks in November

We felt that because the van was covered the security was increased

We didn't worry about dead leaves, frost, snow etc affecting the paintwork

The cover is breathable so there is no possibility of it affecting the 'seals'

Against:

The cover is heavy and was awkward to fit.

Once it was fitted we were reluctant to consider using the caravan because of the difficulty of removing and refitting the cover

We noticed a few very light minor scratches on the windows

After we removed the cover we had to clean it and fold it then store it in the garage for the next eight or nine months

The caravan was still in need of a good clean, polish and wax and I couldn't help wondering if the effort was worth it. Maybe I should have saved the money and just used Fenwicks overwintering application.

On balance I'm glad that we bought ours, we managed to buy it in a sale from Golden Castle caravans so saved about

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jeff

There are pro's and cons

For:

I live in an urban area and the cover prevented the heavy air pollution from leaving too many marks on the caravan

Against:

Once it was fitted we were reluctant to consider using the caravan because of the difficulty of removing and refitting the cover

After we removed the cover we had to clean it and fold it then store it in the garage for the next eight or nine months

The caravan was still in need of a good clean, polish and wax and I couldn't help wondering if the effort was worth it. Maybe I should have saved the money and just used Fenwicks overwintering application.

On balance I'm glad that we bought ours, we managed to buy it in a sale from Golden Castle caravans so saved about

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jeff

There are pro's and cons

For:

Against:

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jeff

We bought a Pro-tec cover for our Bailey Senator Arizona a couple of years ago.

Pros

Protects the 'van from the weather

Keeps the van clean

Tyre covers protect tyres from sun damage

Makes the 'van more secure and harder to steal

Pro-tec customer service is excellent - friendly, prompt and helpful.Replaced a buckle that I broke quickly and without charge. Replaced storage bag with a reinforced version after first tore near handle.

Cons

Expensive

Van needs to be clean before covering or trapped dirt may abrade paintwork as cover moves in wind.

Takes to time to remove, although easier than putting on.

Heavy and time-consuming to put on - especially on a windy day!!

(A 2 person job in my opinion to put on or off.)

Cover is large to fold-up for storage - we take ours out onto the road outside our house - a cul-de-sac!

Cover has to be stored when not on 'van - very large bag.

It is VERY important to heed what Pro-tec says about protusions on the 'van rubbing holes in the cover. This happened to us on one corner the first winter we used cover. My wife sewed a patch on the inside of the cover, PT provide a piece of spare material. I have subsequently rounded the corners on metal roof strips with a file and tape thick pipe insulation on all edges and protusions like aerial, fire chimney,etc.

As we live in the windy North West I bought the optional storm straps.

I would recommend having a cover.

Regards

Tim

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

My wife and I have over the years considered buying a cover. We have never got round to it, and now we use the van all year round so judging the replies we probably won't buy one. Of course we are open to the elements, however the thought of putting one on and off that oftem has put me off.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Apart from not liking them, though I'm sure they have improved, I think it is better to keep using the van all year and then you don't really need a cover at all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts