Caravan fire!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We’ve gone off at a tangent here. Unless the storage owner makes it mandatory each caravan has its own TP policy 99% of the time the buck stops with the site owners.
Most sites do try to limit their liability by posting a disclaimer such as "All property is stored at the owners risk" this means if your property is damaged you would have to prove the site operator was negligent in some regard that caused your property to have been affected. Equally it means that if your caravan has caused damage to someone else's property then they are likely to sue you rather than the site for compensations.

for this reason alone it's worth obtaining at least third party insurance cover.

it's important to also understand that when the caravan is coupled to the car, your car insurance covers the trailer for third party claims resulting from a road incident. But as soon as the caravan is uncoupled, that cover no longer applies.
I think the police in this clip may disagree with you?

I specifically referenced the UK regulations to specifically exclude what may happen elsewhere, where different regulations may apply or may not exist at all.....

However I have witnessed the after effects of an industrial accident that involved a 47Kg Propane cylinder that had its valve snapped off by a falling beam. The cylinder was dislodged from its cage and it fell over onto a concrete floor. The ejection of the liquified gas propelled the cylinder across a yard and it smashed through the wall of a warehouse across the floor and it wedged in the other wall of the building.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Most sites do try to limit their liability by posting a disclaimer such as "All property is stored at the owners risk" this means if your property is damaged you would have to prove the site operator was negligent in some regard that caused your property to have been affected. Equally it means that if your caravan has caused damage to someone else's property then they are likely to sue you rather than the site for compensations.

for this reason alone it's worth obtaining at least third party insurance cover.

it's important to also understand that when the caravan is coupled to the car, your car insurance covers the trailer for third party claims resulting from a road incident. But as soon as the caravan is uncoupled, that cover no longer applies.

I specifically referenced the UK regulations to specifically exclude what may happen elsewhere, where different regulations may apply or may not exist at all.....

However I have witnessed the after effects of an industrial accident that involved a 47Kg Propane cylinder that had its valve snapped off by a falling beam. The cylinder was dislodged from its cage and it fell over onto a concrete floor. The ejection of the liquified gas propelled the cylinder across a yard and it smashed through the wall of a warehouse across the floor and it wedged in the other wall of the building.
I recall when I attended my local technical college whilst serving my apprenticeship being shown a "film"of an oxygen bottle that had fallen over ,broke the valve off and blasted through several walls like a torpedo I suppose

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the police in this clip may disagree with you?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1LGKieTxY
I do not believe that the fire is related to gas cylinders as there is not enough damage. Lorry fires caused by short circuits are the usual thing and there is enough combustible material in the vehicle to burn like that. If it was a gas cylinder catching fire it would have been far worse.
As others have said this looks to be abroad and we do not know what the regulations are there.

TRENDING THREADS