Caravan fire!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes you wonder if it is worth having a fire extinguisher in the caravan as it takes less than 10 minutes for the caravan to be completely destroyed. Watching this video certainly makes you think of getting out very fast. Also the video demonstrates that even caravans pitched 6m or more away will suffer a lot of smoke damage.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qft4q_urYww

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Whilst not trying to detract anything from this video I would just point out a couple of things to be borne in mind when watching.
  1. How exactly was the fire started? Was it bedding, or furniture or something else that was ignited by the paraffin drip torch?
  2. How much paraffin was used to start it?
  3. It's clearly very windy as can be heard on the video and seen once the fire gets hold
  4. There are no windows in the rear section of the caravan.Therefore the strong wind was able to fan the flames at an early stage.
At the 2 minute mark the fire is well established, and the average attendance time for the fire brigade (in the UK) is??......

NINE minutes and 12 seconds See here At nine minutes there would just have been a smouldering heap visible on that video. So, in the event of a caravan fire, is there actually any point in calling out the Fire Service??

Moral of the tale being unless you can knock a caravan fire down VERY quickly indeed you need to get away and let it burn. That's what we pay our insurance for.

Me? I have a fire blanket (and decent insurance cover)

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does it matter how it was started or how much paraffin was used? There was a rear window and you cannot see the other side where there may have been windows. We also get strong winds in the UK and I think the UK has more tornadoes than any other country and that includes the USA. You are correct about calling the fire brigade as by the time they get the fire truck started, the caravan is gutted! Best advice is run as a gas bottle could explode.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I have insurance, anything bigger than a match burning and I am straight out of the door.
I have an extinguisher near to the gas fire in a narrow cupboard for the table it's only a couple of feet from the door in case of fire my protocol is as we're getting out pick it up once outside use and if no joy stop trying . Due to its age 1992 I haven't found an insurance broker interested yet

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have an extinguisher near to the gas fire in a narrow cupboard for the table it's only a couple of feet from the door in case of fire my protocol is as we're getting out pick it up once outside use and if no joy stop trying . Due to its age 1992 I haven't found an insurance broker interested yet
Wouldn’t either if the two clubs give insurance that would include third party cover?

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When on site, I have a 2 kg ABC Dry powder extinguisher on the A frame cover next to the Jockey wheel handle, ( anyone can just grab it and run) and a 1 kg just inside the caravan door. I also have a 10 litre water fire bucket which doubles as a drinking bucket for dogs.
I must get a fire blanket.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would think that with a caravan fire, water could be one of the worse things to use especially if it was a chip pan fire. I would leave the water bucket where it was and gap it.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The red bucket filled with water was an old CAMC rule.

Since the year dot I have always said get everyone out of the caravan immediately. Once outside by all means use your extinguishers but don't go back inside!
Like Beachball you have insurance , that’s what it’s for , your lives are more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The only serious "problem" with not having any Third Party insurance is who pays if your caravan catches fire and goes on to ignite another??
This could be a serious problem if you have no insurance. and store the caravan in a storage yard. Where we are there are about 50 caravans in a row all back to back. What that means is that you could end up loosing around 100 caravans in a fire and if yours was the one that started it the bill you would get would exceed £1.000,000. A bit unlikely but can you afford to risk it.
From my experience he biggest cause of third party claims is people falling on unsteady or faulty steps, but this is more the claims I have seen and not based on any statistics.
I don't think third party only cover is available anywhere for caravans, but you should be able to get a very cheap comprehensive cover for not a lot. A 1992 caravan will still be worth several hundred or even more depending on make, model and condition.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem with having an extinguisher is that many are only suitable for certain types of fires. and if they are used on a fire that using the wrong type of fuel, the extinguisher can cause more problems than it might safely resolve.

I guess that if you are alerted to a fire in your, the shock might impair your ability to assess the nature of the fire, and you might pick the wrong extinguisher, or of course you may not have the right extinguisher.

In relation to the video, the important aspect is not what caused the fire, it was the speed at which it took hold. Whether more modern construction has a lower flammability than the rather old American van used in the demonstration I don't know, but who in the immediacy of the moment is going to be able to rationalise the construction details and make an informed decision about how long you may have to get out.

In the event of any uncontrolled fire in any caravan the first priority should be to get out of the van and away from the danger zone. and call the fire service. Then only if it is safe to do so tackle the fire with appropriate extinguishers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The water mist extinguisher seems to cover most eventualities, but as said in earlier posts get away from the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
As I pointed out when I attached this video to a topic on another forum, this fire wasn't complicated by having gas cylinders around. Most caravan fires will have two cylinders waiting to explode. It was interesting to watch the ali outer skin disappear. Ali melts at just a bit less than 700C

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
This could be a serious problem if you have no insurance. and store the caravan in a storage yard. Where we are there are about 50 caravans in a row all back to back. What that means is that you could end up loosing around 100 caravans in a fire and if yours was the one that started it the bill you would get would exceed £1.000,000. A bit unlikely but can you afford to risk it.
From my experience he biggest cause of third party claims is people falling on unsteady or faulty steps, but this is more the claims I have seen and not based on any statistics.
I don't think third party only cover is available anywhere for caravans, but you should be able to get a very cheap comprehensive cover for not a lot. A 1992 caravan will still be worth several hundred or even more depending on make, model and condition.
Storage or theft isn't an issue third party cover would in my case suffice,

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
But can you find an insurer that gives just third party cover?
Thanks but not upto date.. insurance companies seem seem unwilling to offer cover on anything over 30 years old... I've been insured on traders policies and classic bikes..I will see if I can get advice from the Abbey owners club..I sure something will turn up ... perhaps 30 year caravans have become a sought after must have 😊😊 thanks Gary

TRENDING THREADS