Caravan gas hob

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice off someone with a problem with my gas hob rings been an ongoing problem for a while now but went into the van this morning to check a few things conected water and put hot water on gas everything fine as it should but the gas hob only had a small flame and when i turned the other rings on the flame got weaker also the glass cover must have a safety swith on it cos when i pushed the lid back a bit the flame got stronger on the rings let it go a fraction and the flame got a bit weaker any advice as to what the problem could be ??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice off someone with a problem with my gas hob rings been an ongoing problem for a while now but went into the van this morning to check a few things conected water and put hot water on gas everything fine as it should but the gas hob only had a small flame and when i turned the other rings on the flame got weaker also the glass cover must have a safety swith on it cos when i pushed the lid back a bit the flame got stronger on the rings let it go a fraction and the flame got a bit weaker any advice as to what the problem could be ??
My first action would be more repeated movements on the hob lid to see if that removes the problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My first action would be more repeated movements on the hob lid to see if that removes the problem.
If Othherclie's suggestion does not work, then you probably need professional help as it will need adjusting and because its gas, for safety it needs properly testing.

There are mobile engineers you can book to come and help. Checkout the AWS scheme for mobile fitters.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Hi otherclive been doing that for the last 12 months if you just pull the glass lid up the rings light but only weak but put a bit of preasure pushing the lid further back the flame gets stronger

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Hi prof got a mobile engineer that sorts the van out when needed he had a look last year tested pressure everything seems ok on that front

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Plug. When we had a similar issue it was due to a faulty regulator. However this also affected the other appliances that ran on gas, although we only noticed it in the hob, oven and grill because we are generally on ehu for everything else. Is it just the cooker or is your heating also affected? Our issue was intermittent as well so it didn’t seem to be a problem all the time; at least at first
Good luck
Mel

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Hi mel very rarely use EHU we do a lot of rallying only seems to be the gas rings and cooker had the reg checked and he said that was ok on his meter but saying that it seems ti take ages for the gas to come through to the cooker rings

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like the lid is operating a gas valve. This may be remote from the lid itself and connected by rods. (All guesswork). But it may be worth a look. perhaps there is adjustment that can be done without actually affecting the gas valve itself.

Could possibly be a very easy fix.

John

PS out of interest I just did a little research. Looking at lid valves they all seem to have a plunger on one end which I assume is operated mechanically by the lid.

Your problem was raised by another on this very forum a couple of years ago. They managed to fix the problem by freeing said plunger.

Follow this link for more info.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Sounds like the lid is operating a gas valve. This may be remote from the lid itself and connected by rods. (All guesswork). But it may be worth a look. perhaps there is adjustment that can be done without actually affecting the gas valve itself.

Could possibly be a very easy fix.

John

PS out of interest I just did a little research. Looking at lid valves they all seem to have a plunger on one end which I assume is operated mechanically by the lid.

Your problem was raised by another on this very forum a couple of years ago. They managed to fix the problem by freeing said plunger.

Follow this link for more info.
Thanks for the link m8y could be sumat like as simple as that but not gonna try myself will have it checked if i can before our first trip on the 16th april cheers

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for confirming that you'll leave the job to a mobile fitter. If you read down the link Jcloughie gave you'll see I expressed concerns and the reason for them.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for confirming that you'll leave the job to a mobile fitter. If you read down the link Jcloughie gave you'll see I expressed concerns and the reason for them.

But you will also see that the person concerned found the problem to be with the mechanism that operated the valve so successfully fixed the problem. Which is in line with my suggestion.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But you will also see that the person concerned found the problem to be with the mechanism that operated the valve so successfully fixed the problem. Which is in line with my suggestion.

John

That might have been the case in that particular instance. So far we have had no confirmation of the cause of the symptoms the OP reports, and it could be different to the previous report.

There is nothing stopping the OP from visually inspecting the system without dismantling it, but has has stated he is not going to try to do it himself - that's his choice.

Having known LPG gas valves that failed becasue the valve manufacture changed a component (long story) which started to corrode within the valve which compromised its operation, you cannot be too careful when dealing with gas systems.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That might have been the case in that particular instance. So far we have had no confirmation of the cause of the symptoms the OP reports, and it could be different to the previous report.

There is nothing stopping the OP from visually inspecting the system without dismantling it, but has has stated he is not going to try to do it himself - that's his choice.

Having known LPG gas valves that failed becasue the valve manufacture changed a component (long story) which started to corrode within the valve which compromised its operation, you cannot be too careful when dealing with gas systems.

I agree with you, but I never suggested that they interfered with the valve, just examined the mechanical interface that controls the valve. An adjustment may be all that is needed. The OP is not happy to attempt that, which, of course is absolutely fine.

Like you, I have a history of dealing with gas systems and recognise the possible dangers, one of the greatest being ignorance.

John

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would leave anything to do with gas to the experts. The OP does not say how old the caravan is but the newer ones will have a safety device that should prevent the hob working if the glass lid is down. It was presumably this that was the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There has been a problem with some cookers where the safety cut out which is operated by the lid gets debris from cooking lodged causing it to malfunction and not open the gas valve fully, also as the cooker gets older the springs holding the lid up weaken and the lid does not fully lift up.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Should My bailey GT70 Rimini 2018 have the cut off when the hob lid is put down? I have tried it to see if it does cut out but maybe I should check it next time I’m in it, is it the norm that all caravans have this.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Should My bailey GT70 Rimini 2018 have the cut off when the hob lid is put down? I have tried it to see if it does cut out but maybe I should check it next time I’m in it, is it the norm that all caravans have this.

BP
Well at least since 2005 my caravans have had it. Bailey followed by Swift. Same as our domestic range too. An older gas cooker at home did not have a cut off. Dig turned gas on during night. Could have been disastrous. Luckily I heard the gas and did not switch any lights on.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Not sure my little Xplore has one? Although I think it has an alert function by exploding if you close it on lit gas rings.
mel

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I’ll try it when I can just in case.

The only time it "could" be checked is with the gas at the hob actually lit.
I most strongly advise against trying to close the lid with the gas alight unless you like clearing up the vast amount of glass bits as it shatters. !!!!!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The only time it "could" be checked is with the gas at the hob actually lit.
I most strongly advise against trying to close the lid with the gas alight unless you like clearing up the vast amount of glass bits as it shatters. !!!!!!
Surely it should cut out long before the glass lid gets even close to the burner i.e. 45 degrees, but good advice?
However many hobs in caravans now have an electric hot plate and there is no cut off if the lid is closed so exploding glass lid. Additionally the plate may still hot when the lid is closed with the same result. Also can be accidentally turned on with the same results. We have never used the hot plate in our caravan!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts