caravan height and Ferry restrictions

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
We're are lookiing into taking the caravan abroad on a ferry, and notice that Ferry operators seem to set there height limits at 3m, our van is 2.67m according to the owners handbook, does anyone know if this height includes the Status tv aerial or if this to be added, I haven't got the van here and can't remember how big the unit is, how tight is hedroom on Ferries? Should I pay the extra for more headroom? Sorry if this has been asked many times before?
Mike

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You won't have a problem on the shorter crossings, I don't think. On some of the earlier ferries (and probably still some routes) there were floors which 'lowered' so that more vehicles could be fitted in - meaning those vehicles had to be under that height. These days there is a massive amount of headroom, certainly on all the sailings we've been on recently (P and O, and Norfolk Lines/DFDS) - in fact on some sailings we've been on the same deck as HGV's which are much higher than our van!

By the way, don't worry about asking questions - which may or may not have been asked before. If you want to know then it's best to find out, rather than risk making an error which might cost you your aerial!
Have a great trip, and a good holiday!

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
May be I have been lucky but when I have booked in the past with Brittany Ferries & Sea France, I just put in the height of the caravan as per the hand book.
There has always been plenty of headroom as we were put with the heavies & only solo cars put under the ramps.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mike,
Don't know which ferry company you are using, but when we've used LD Lines from Portsmouth, we've had loads of headroom, I would say at least twice the height of the 'van. Brittany ferries from the same destination also had more than enough room. We had an air con unit fitted to the roof which increased the height of the 'van and still had plenty of room.

Lara.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts