Caravan Jacks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anybody help, I currently use a scissor jack on the caravan but find it very clumsy, does anybody know where you can purchase a small 1 ton trolley jack, as a 1ton bottle jack is too tall when the tyre is flat.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try Screwfix -www.screwfix.co.uk - but don't blame me if you find lots of other things you didn't know you needed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HALFORDS HAVE A DEAL ON TROLLEY JACK, A 1TON MIGHT JUST NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH,HOW HEAVY IS YOUR VAN WHEN FULLY LADEN??THE TWO TON JACKS ARE A SIMILAR SIZE,ITS NO GOOD TRYING TO LIFT A 11/2 TON CARAVAN WITH A 1 TON JACK??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HALFORDS HAVE A DEAL ON TROLLEY JACK, A 1TON MIGHT JUST NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH,HOW HEAVY IS YOUR VAN WHEN FULLY LADEN??THE TWO TON JACKS ARE A SIMILAR SIZE,ITS NO GOOD TRYING TO LIFT A 11/2 TON CARAVAN WITH A 1 TON JACK??
Why? you can't lift much more than 50% of the gross weight at a time. AL-KO side lift jack is rated 800KG to use on vans up to a maximum of 1600KG.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
re.caravan jacks.

If you have an Alco chassis, and most seem to nowadays, surely the Alco side jack would be the best choice. Two plates bolted away under the 'van and a fairly light, small jack tucked away in one of the underbed lockers.

Mike E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why? you can't lift much more than 50% of the gross weight at a time. AL-KO side lift jack is rated 800KG to use on vans up to a maximum of 1600KG.
thats why i asked the weight of his van fully laden,it could have been a heavy van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Alko side lift jack and it is imperative that the instruction to leave the van connected to the car is followed as the base of the jack is quite small and so the caravan can easily move and fall off as mine did (fortunately back onto the axle stand)

Its hard work to wind the Alko jack and at home I always use a small trolley jack which is much easier

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A trolley jack is ideal when at home but they are quite heavy to tow around with the setup.

I carry a bottle jack and you are correct in stating that when the tyre is flat the chassis is too low for the jack, I have welded up a bracket for each side of my caravan which bolts through exisiting holes just in front of the axle, each side has a plate with a location cup for the jack top welded on to the upright at a level to allow the bottle jack to fit if the tyre is flat.

Luckily I have never had to use my bottle jack but am prepared for a flat tyre change if required.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A trolley jack is ideal when at home but they are quite heavy to tow around with the setup.

I carry a bottle jack and you are correct in stating that when the tyre is flat the chassis is too low for the jack, I have welded up a bracket for each side of my caravan which bolts through exisiting holes just in front of the axle, each side has a plate with a location cup for the jack top welded on to the upright at a level to allow the bottle jack to fit if the tyre is flat.

Luckily I have never had to use my bottle jack but am prepared for a flat tyre change if required.
Join the CC or C & CC roadside assistance options and the nice man will do it all for you. This especially better if you get a puncture on the motorway as those big trucks seem to delight in seeing how close that can come to your broken down unit or so it seems!

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
On the 3rd April Jim advised about a Hydraulic Jack called Trail-A-Mate. This is also a hydraulic Jockey Wheel (so it is always with you)that converts to a Jack and levelling device. You are able to lift a caravan or motorhome up to 3 1/2 tons without every having to get under the van.It is the safest and easiest on the market.For more information and to view the poroduct go to www.trail-a-mate.com.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts