Caravan Levelling

Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
Hello all you experienced caravanners. Just bought a twin axle van and am confused about levelling devices. What's the best way to level a twin axle van and what do I need to buy. Thanks in anticipation to all who reply.

G

I would have assumed the same as a single axle. You level fore and aft with the jockey wheel and side to side with ramps. You just need to use 2 on one side., although there may not be room to get the rear one in. I don't own a T/A so I have no direct knowledge

G

Your welcome, however I am sure there are many others out there who actually have T/A vans who can give more accurate advice. Whatever method you use, I always use a spirit level placed on the floor to get it right. Mine has 2 levels at right angles so you can see both dimensions. I know others place it on the A Frame, but my van has a casing and I am never sure if that is reflecting what the floor is doing. I also have a motor mover so moving up the ramps is easy and I can watch the level while playing with the remote. The big problem sort of, is for the 'boss' to put a chock behind the wheel on the ramp before it starts to creep back down. Keeps her busy though.

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi, the spirit levels with either the two glasses in the form of a T, or the bubble running around to find the centre of a ring are only comparitors, not an accurate level.

as above use a conventional spirit level in two planes, side to side and fore and aft to establish your van is level, when you have plenty of time at home. then install your comparitor using odd bits of whatever to give a level reading. Then you can repeat that level anytime but much more quickly.

Also decide what exactly you want level, floor, bed, cooker top or fridge, as for sure when you check they will all be different. Personally I use the cooker top, so my eggs dont burn on one side in the pan.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have a twin axle,

you can level easy enough with ramps. place the two on the floor, reversce back over first ramp with first wheel which will then proceed up second ramp whilst front wheel moves up other ramp, might take a try before you get the ramp spacing correct but done once and it becomes very obvious and easy.

Other option and also especially if you have alco locks. After trying several different Jacks I bought a kojack jack simply jack up the respective side of the van (whichever is lower) jack higher than needed to allow for suspension compression, once up place ramps or blocks under the wheels then lower the van straight onto them. Again might take a practice to learn to judge just how much to jack but you very soon get the hang of it, either way job done in just a couple of minutes.

Hope this helps

John

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have a twin axle,

you can level easy enough with ramps. place the two on the floor, reversce back over first ramp with first wheel which will then proceed up second ramp whilst front wheel moves up other ramp, might take a try before you get the ramp spacing correct but done once and it becomes very obvious and easy.

Other option and also especially if you have alco locks. After trying several different Jacks I bought a kojack jack simply jack up the respective side of the van (whichever is lower) jack higher than needed to allow for suspension compression, once up place ramps or blocks under the wheels then lower the van straight onto them. Again might take a practice to learn to judge just how much to jack but you very soon get the hang of it, either way job done in just a couple of minutes.

Hope this helps

John
hi i am another twin axle owner, i use a pair of normal plastic ramps on one side. I usually use my motor mover to control the van and reverse the rear wheel up the ramp, then place the other ramp thin end towards front wheel and drive the van forward onto it and get it level. If you are looking for a good jack that is good value go somewhere like ebay or tool mart and buy a bottle jack. even a two ton basic one costs about

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
It is important NOT to reverse onto the ramps,you should pull onto them.The reason for this is when you reverse the brakes automatically disengage and only work again after the wheel has gone forward about one turn.So reversing on you will have brakes that do not work so when you uncouple from the car the van could roll away.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Right here is the answer to levelling a twin axle,as already said yellow large Fiamma blocks back to back , to be near acurate , measure the distance between centre of first wheel and second wheel that distance between the two axles is the space you will require between the two Fiamma blocks .

Good idea to pull onto them aalready has been said.

Works well on our Ace Supreme

Regards Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why go to the expense of buying a spirit level when a part consumed bottle of water/lemonade or even whisky will suffice. Liquid will always find its own level so by placing the bottle of liquid in sight from the windows it is just as easy to level the van and with whisky more rewarding.

The corner steadies are not there to level the van but simply to keep the van firm when it is level - the steadies are wound down after leveling the van by means of packing pieces under the wheels if necessary and the jockey wheel.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Why go to the expense of buying a spirit level when a part consumed bottle of water/lemonade or even whisky will suffice. Liquid will always find its own level so by placing the bottle of liquid in sight from the windows it is just as easy to level the van and with whisky more rewarding.

The corner steadies are not there to level the van but simply to keep the van firm when it is level - the steadies are wound down after leveling the van by means of packing pieces under the wheels if necessary and the jockey wheel.
We use a couple of pieces decking on our t/a van, one if it's only slightly off and two if it's more....

Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have a twin axle,

Hope this helps

John
Thanks John. Reply much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts