Caravan M.O.T. Who would support it

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only problem with this is that for it to work effectively, it would have to cover all trailers. Each trailer would then have to have its own unique number (caravans have CRiS, trailers have no such number) meaning that trailers would then have to be registered (as in other countries). Can you see the DVLA coping with that? All of this would cost a fortune. WHo would pick up the bill? The government? Nope, me & you, in the form of some sort of road tax for trailers & high MoT costs.

Its all down to statistics. If the number of accidents.incidents caused by un-roadworthy trailer si high, it should eb implemented, if not, leave well alone. There are enough rules & regulations in this country as it is!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
New Zealand has the equivalent of the MOT on all trailers (which includes caravans by definition). Up to 8 years old the check is annual and is strictly mechanical/structure only. Brakes if fitted must work. Brakes required for trailers in excess of 2000Kg only.

Trailers in excess of 8 years are required to have 6 monthly checks & I can assure you that is a pain as it seems to be always time to have one done. Cost is minor (10 pounds approx) but it's the hassle of going to the testing station or approved garage & waiting in a queue. Caravan electrical "Warrant of fitness" is valid 3 years. Strangely there is no requirement for a gas inspection (!)My former 30 year old "dunger" twin axle had I think a garden hose supply pipe between the regulator and the cooker! I changed that to copper pipe ASAP!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am sure there are,many sides to this discussion, but my own personal view is that I think some form of MOT is a good idea.

It would have to apply to all braked trailers. This would set a reasonable base line. It would only look at those featuers that affect roadworthness. (just as in cars)

The process would have to be set up like the car MOT's with certs being issued by approved and regulated test centres. It also would incorporate an appeals or complaint procedure.

Currently, you have no confirmation at any time in the life of a caravan that any part of the running gear is working effectively. Even from new some caravans are not roadworthy, but with no formal independant test you may not even realise it, until its too late.

Having to consider an annual test would help to ensure owners take trailer safety seriously, and give some confidence to the owner that they can comply with the roadworthyness laws.

As for registration, I belive it is a requirement that all braked trailers have serial number and date of manufacture inedlibly marked on the chassis, so traceability should not require new technology, just more of what we have at the moment for cars.

A test should not cost an arm and a leg, because the tes wold be far less involved than for a car, but what price safety and peace of mind?

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Here in New Zealand a caravan is treated as an individual "vehicle" for annual registration (has its own number plate) and for a Warrant of Fitness (MOT).

It gives you a certain peace of mind that the vehicle is roadworthy!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I am one of the early yes supporters. Having read what the rest of you think I have a few points.

1/ Safety first!! I'm sure no one would want to be responsable for putting a member of their family in hospital just because they couldn't be bothered to make sure the caravan was safe on an annual basis.

2/ As for indentification of the trailer. A sealed badge/document holder with the trailer's serial number on it and the test certification, would cover that.

3/ We all proudly display GB stickers and stickers of favorite places visited on our vans so why not display prominately the test certificate.

4/ Someone said they dread the annual MOT on the car because it might fail and cost a packet to get through. The whole point of an MOT is to ensure a minimum standard of road worthyness and sfety for us. I know that technically once you've left the station the test is no prooof of condition and should not be relied upon as a warrenty of a cars condition.

Just for info, I tow a 23year old caravan and would be quite happy for it to under go even 6 monthly checks if New Zealand law was applied. I don't dread the MOT tester in fact I take my car to a garage renowned for being very much to the book. As I believe that if the car was not upto standard it should be repaired immediately.

As for cost around the same as a car MOT should cover it and the testing station would not need any further kit as the brakes could be tested on the same rolling road using the hand brake as this operates the system anyway.

I'm not one for trying to line the goverments pockets, but the number of times I see tatty old trailers of all descriptions out there waiting for an accident to condem them, then I think it's time we all became responsible. Not that the 99.9% of us aren't, it's the 0.1% risk takers that spoil it for the rest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts