Caravan M.O.T. Who would support it

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Tom

In some ways this cud be a good thing. But it cud had incunabula cost to use.

Have you now whatever parts you buy for the van are not cheep and I can see the test costing an arm and leg.

I have my van served one a year I would think that would let me now if so thing was wrong with the caravan.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Wendy

Every area has a Hgv/Psv test station these guys are experts in vehicle inspections it could be done through them!! .(Unless any one else has another suggestion )You book the van in date time etc etc much the same as car ,but IMHO these guys would be the best to do it... Tom

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
now need to shout

But if you have the van severed. That shud pick most flats up.

How would you police it?

I would say it will be a good thing.

Mark

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I would agree how would you police it.

I also think that the people with older 'vans may feel

descriminated against, as, maybe, these are the people who will be targeted by the police. Not everybody is able to afford or would want a new caravan.

This would then make vanning prohibitive to alot of young families on limited incomes as owning an older van would be too costly to maintain.

However, I still think it's a good idea, but how far to go with it I don't know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just trying to work out how a caravan MOT would make things safer. Would it stop badly loaded caravans? Would it stop caravans being towed far too fast? Would it stop people towing with wrongly inflated tyres (apart from on the day of the test)? Would it stop caravanners taking to the road with badly matched outfits?

Just worries me that this would become simply a tax on caravans.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Wendy

Every area has a Hgv/Psv test station these guys are experts in vehicle inspections it could be done through them!! .(Unless any one else has another suggestion )You book the van in date time etc etc much the same as car ,but IMHO these guys would be the best to do it... Tom
You wouldn't happen to be a Garage owner would you Tom???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I see that most objections to the test are not on the grounds of safety, but that in rip off Britain that is exactly what would happen. I cannot see that it would be onerous to certify the roadworthiness of a caravan, or for any trailer over a certain weight. I feel competent to do it in half an hour.

People have posted that in Germany the annual TUV test which included a gas certificate cost approx.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To apply an MOT requirement on carvans alone would be very devisive. It would have to apply to all trailers (perhaps those of 750Kg or more MTPLM and those with brakes)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To apply an MOT requirement on carvans alone would be very devisive. It would have to apply to all trailers (perhaps those of 750Kg or more MTPLM and those with brakes)
Yes I agreee with you John.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmmmm

MOT first and what a great way to then introduce Road Tax on our vans.
Roadrunner, thats our problem isn't it? We are all, rightly in my opinion, cynical about anything that the authorities do these days.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I see that most objections to the test are not on the grounds of safety, but that in rip off Britain that is exactly what would happen. I cannot see that it would be onerous to certify the roadworthiness of a caravan, or for any trailer over a certain weight. I feel competent to do it in half an hour.

People have posted that in Germany the annual TUV test which included a gas certificate cost approx.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Royston

It is just a thought , but in reply to the questions , of course it would have to cover trailers as well be they flats, boxes ,horse boxes even the burger bar you see in lay bys ...Tom

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I would support MOT on trailers, but would suggest all trailers say from 750 Kgs max gross weight upwards.

How many times do you see boat trailers with brake cables rusted off. Farm trailers with odd sized and bald tyres, also hugely out of proportion to the tractor towing them and no brakes!!

There are a lot of caravanners out there who either don't know how to maintain their own unit or can't afford the service costs levied by a dealer, so they chance their arm and stretch the service interval. Don't believe that just because the van is less than 3 years old and been towed only 2000 miles that it is still fine. If it has been on a seasonal pitch on the sea front, you would not beleive how much rust and corrosion can take place.

I'm forunate being an engineer, I can look after my 23 year old van and keep her in a good condition. It does take time (about one day to service a twin axle at home, but I do it every year just for piece of mind before I start the holiday season.

AS for RIP OFF BRITAIN I quite agree they would jump on the band wagon sooner or later. But as a great british tax payer what else do you expect !!

The day I get anything back from road tax, fuel tax or VAT, I'll probably keel over with a heart attack!!??

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
tom

dont you think that you would trubblr for your self has well.

Because you would have to have mo cart to your Owen trade with fuel price and road taxs & insurance & run in cost.

It would all so put the price of your breakfast up has well if you use the lay by burger van. So you would be hit your owe wallet has well.

MARK

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Implementing a European style caravan registration and annual MOT style testing would be a great idea, because:

1. Most people seem to be concerned about caravan theft, and a compulsory DVLC style registration scheme, as in Holland, Germany, etc., would certainly help combat the thieves.

2. DVLC style registration of the van would help when it comes to selling / purchase.

3. An independent annual MOT, if like the Dutch system which is primarily a braking system, roadworthiness and gas safety check, is essential for yours and other road users safety.

It would add to the costs, about 100 Euro (60 Pounds) currently in Holland for registration and MOT, but perhaps you would prefer to allow those that can't afford to have faulty brakes fixed to continue driving anyway?

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bad idea - This will be another nail in the coffin of the freedom of caravanners - Of course the "well heeled" wont see that - but for people who caravan on a budget its just another tax on their enjoyment. Apart from gas checks lights etc which should be checked on a service our caravans are two wheels and a handbrake not the complexity of a car !.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts