Caravan Movers.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
I am thinking of purchasing a caravan mover. Any advice at all would be grateful.

My caravan is 7ft 1 ins wide and at the side of my house the width is 7ft 4ins. Do caravan movers move the van in a straight line !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi D

I have a Powrtouch on board mover fitted, as I have to get the caravan up some ramps to get over the kerb and into our garden. I fitted it myself in an afternoon and am very pleased with the result. It will certainly go in a straight line as you have a motor on each wheel. Each one is individually controlled, so it will also piroutte on the spot with the wheels going in opposite directions at the same time.

I fitted one to my father-in-laws 'van last year as his drive is hard to get into and he can't stop singing its' praises.

The advantage of on board movers is of course that they go with you, so you can use them on site. Great if the grass is wet and slippery, and good for raising one side up a ramp for levelling. The only caveats are that you may need a larger battery, or a second one in reserve, and it will of course add to the weight of the van. So you have to be careful if you are already at the loading limit of the 'van or the car.

If you're interested then go to:

www.powrwheel.com

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

If you have a van with a low chassis do not buy a Reich, the mover sits in front of the wheel , is VERY low and it collides with anything., I have just taken mine off our van, if you have a hi chassis van then our mover is for sale @

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Al-ko won't endorse any fitted mover, they only endorse the ones that are either hitch mounts or jockey wheel mounted.

Anyone considered why?

Just wondering?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lenny, Alko will not endorse chassis mounted movers becuase they claim thie chassis were never designed to take the load imposed by such devices. You will note however they do not condemn them either which is equally important. You must avoid putting addition holes through chassis members as Alko will rightly point out that any defeormation or piercing of the chassis will concentrate stress in the members around the damage and may result in failure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One thing to consider is - how do you disconnect the friction drives which run against the tyres, if you only have 4 inches space down one side? It is imperative that these are disabled after use otherwise they can damage the tyre. It is possible to release both drives from one side of the van simultaneously, with an optional connecting bar. Otherwise, with care, you should be able to do what you want provided it's a reasonably flat and even surface.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One thing to consider is - how do you disconnect the friction drives which run against the tyres, if you only have 4 inches space down one side? It is imperative that these are disabled after use otherwise they can damage the tyre. It is possible to release both drives from one side of the van simultaneously, with an optional connecting bar. Otherwise, with care, you should be able to do what you want provided it's a reasonably flat and even surface.
Re Bill's comment.

Powrtouch certainly do a crossbar to enable contact/free move from one side only. Bought my unit at a 'Show' so was 'given' the bar - though I can get round both sides, I use one side to save wandering round the 'van.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Have a read of my post on "Big foot mover". Even with a mover if you only have an inch and a half to play with either side, you are going to have to be careful. I would use a "Big foot" or simlar mover, as you can turn these on their own axis ans so get instant responce to any direction adjustment. A remote control fixed mover may move the van too much and so you couls collide with any obstruction.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
if you are short of space the only one to consider is the powertouch model as it is the only one with a smooth start. i only have 2 inches to spare either side of my van on the drive and the carver system was just too unpredictable. we changed to the powerwheel and found it to be an absolute jem. it comes with a five year warranty and is fitted by theire own engineers so no warranty troubles. it is far superiour to hitch head movers which tend to slip and slide with a heavy van (i have a coachman laser 590/4 at 1710kg )and as one reader has already stated the reich is too big and close to the floor.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if you are short of space the only one to consider is the powertouch model as it is the only one with a smooth start. i only have 2 inches to spare either side of my van on the drive and the carver system was just too unpredictable. we changed to the powerwheel and found it to be an absolute jem. it comes with a five year warranty and is fitted by theire own engineers so no warranty troubles. it is far superiour to hitch head movers which tend to slip and slide with a heavy van (i have a coachman laser 590/4 at 1710kg )and as one reader has already stated the reich is too big and close to the floor.
My Reich mover has a soft start........

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
ROD, Thanks for pointing it out rod, yes i do mean the powertouch mover, powerwheel being the company name and the name of the hitch mount mover. thanks for pointing this out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts