Caravan number plate

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Think I know the answer to this already, but would like to ask the "experts" anyway!
I need to get a new number plate for the Lunar asap.
I have seen them on e.bay for £7.99 inc. post and packing. but no mention of V5C.
From a local registered number plate supplier £16.00 needs ID & V5C.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks. Simon.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The local garage that service our cars obtained a new plate for me from an authorised supplier, but without the need for V5 etc as they know the car. It was priced similarly to the internet ones. ask you garage if they can do it too.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My local two man garage gets our number plates from a wholesaler no dearer than ebay. Whilst he doesn't ask for the VRD the plates must have his garage name at the bottom. Ie he is responsible on the records for supplying them. Sir WC is quite right about "road legal" plates. Apparently they cannot be plain without a garage name at the bottom.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
The last 'X' number of vans of ours, number plates have been from Ebay,, legal or not? I reckon if 'plod' has nothing better to do than see if my number plate has a name on it, then they really ought to have more to do with their time! They're supposed to be short of resources! (We're told)

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
As my registration number is a 'cherished plate' some 20 years old now, I use the original rear number plate from the first car it was affixed to, on trailers and recent cars. I changed the original plates on that particular car for what are now called 'show plates', that as the actual car is that age are still legal. :side: :side:

Which just goes to show what a nonsense the number plate law is. As long as ANPR can pick up the digits that form the registration, the rest of the info supposedly required is superfluous. ANPR is how plod tracks vehicles, not the BS code, the seller or the reflectiveness of the plate.

There was similar stupidity in the law around registration numbers sold by wotevrer the DVLA used to be called when they sold 'personal registrations', as certified and receipted and were your property. At that time you bought a 'personal registration' that strangely was personal. Then at some point they changed to 'cherished numbers' that were not your property. Then they could only be used on a SORN'd vehicle for 1 year, but they didn't tell you when you SORNed the vehicle for the 3rd consecutive year to meet the SORN requirement, that came in after you had bought the 'personal registration' that then prevented you transferring your 'personal registration' that had then come a 'cherished number', that wasn't your property despite being sold and receipted as such. I challenged DVLA and got the law changed due to the misselling of a product by DVLA. You can now SORN a 'cherished number' on a vehicle for 5 years. Sometimes those employed by the authorities have too much time on their hands to dream up some things :p :p

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
H i Dusty

Not sure you have to have a garage name on the plates I think you just need the British Standard details, my plates have no name on them and have passed at least 6 MOT tests.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
H i Dusty

Not sure you have to have a garage name on the plates I think you just need the British Standard details, my plates have no name on them and have passed at least 6 MOT tests.
Woodiesboy.
Yes I agree.There is no continuity. All I know is my local garage gets me plates with no questions providing their name is on the bottom and their postcode.
Just checked and there is no BS kitemark.
They do the annual mot so what the heck!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On a slightly different swiing, I have noticed Several Cars recently withought Front Number plates, Audi's BMW and I think even Ford Focus which was driving School car with the driving schools name instead of the number plate. Have the laws/rules changed recently.

TRENDING THREADS