Caravan Parking at Moto Serices A1(M) at Wetherby.

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Dear fellow caravanners

I hope you can help.
I've received a parking charge notice from CP Parking Ltd. for parking at Moto Serices on the A1(M) at Wetherby. There's no doubt about it; they've got the photos to prove it!! However, I distinctly remember of looking for any parking restrictions in the caravan parking area, and I didn't see any. Maybe it was because it was dark and about 0130 hrs.,but I also stopped there in daylight on my return journey, and I don't remember seeing any restrictions signs.

Has anyone else parked in the caravan parking area at this site? If so, have you seen any parking restrictions signs in there?
As I live about 250 miles away, it's difficult for me to go and check. I would be grateful if anyone knows of this site and would let me know whether or not there are caravan restriction notices. If any fellow caravanners are intending to park there soon, any photographs of the caravan parking area would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Is the PCN for parking in the wrong place or overstaying the 2 hour free parking?
I've used those services and know that parking for cars and coaches is specifically separate - but I can't remember if I was in a caravan specific area or the HGV area.
If it's for parking in the wrong place, complain strongly to the Highways Agency, as the obligation to provide 2 hours free parking for all vehicles is an absolute condition of Moto's licence.
You could try ignoring the PCN but since 1st October the registered keeper is responsible, not the driver - it's an unfair contract to charge you a disproportionate fee, compared to their financial losses - but there haven't been any test cases taken to court since the law changed.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Jocko1 said:
Dear fellow caravanners

I hope you can help.
I've received a parking charge notice from CP Parking Ltd. for parking at Moto Serices on the A1(M) at Wetherby. There's no doubt about it; they've got the photos to prove it!! However, I distinctly remember of looking for any parking restrictions in the caravan parking area, and I didn't see any. Maybe it was because it was dark and about 0130 hrs.,but I also stopped there in daylight on my return journey, and I don't remember seeing any restrictions signs.

Has anyone else parked in the caravan parking area at this site? If so, have you seen any parking restrictions signs in there?
As I live about 250 miles away, it's difficult for me to go and check. I would be grateful if anyone knows of this site and would let me know whether or not there are caravan restriction notices. If any fellow caravanners are intending to park there soon, any photographs of the caravan parking area would be gratefully received!

Thanks.
recieved one of these back in 2010 at toddington services on the M1, coming back from abroad i was tired so pulled in and didnt hear my phone alarm go off just before the 2 hour mark. ended waking up after 3 hours. got a letter and i wrote back, stating" i pulled over because i was tied once i woke up i drove off, i know nothing about any 2 hour max law nor did i see or read any such statement as i was tired and once parked up fell sleep...I am slightly confused by you demand for money as i was under the impression only councils had the power to inflct fines, as i dont know you from adam i must decline you offe and please feel free to take any legal action your see fit......." i can only assume there is a back log of actions being taken as i have herd nothing since.

i believe this sort of thing is a grey area many supermarkets seem to now do the same thing free parking for X hours then threats of fines. it would not be fair for me to say ignore it,as i dont have the full circumstances never the less they do play on the fear factor more so than an legal precidence ...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
For the fine to be enforcable the signs have to be prominently displayed, if they were not as it sounds then they have no case.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Raywood said:
For the fine to be enforcable the signs have to be prominently displayed, if they were not as it sounds then they have no case.
? splitting hairs, profs department really but isnt it an invoice? they dont actually have the power to fine you......

May 7, 2012
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Raywood said:
? splitting hairs, profs department really but isnt it an invoice? they dont actually have the power to fine you......
It isn't really a fine. What they say is that by using the car park you are entering into a contract for its use and the charge is that for incorrect use. To make it a contract the terms have to be easily visible and clear.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's not a fine at all, it's a contractual payment.
But there there is an "Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977" and it's unfair to impose a penalty amount so high to be out of all proportion with the event - problem is that no-ones's stood up to these PCNs in court to establish a precedent so fear rules!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts