Caravan servicing?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have recently use Mark Lewendon, www.markcaravanmedic.co.uk he does 40 miles radius of the Milton keynes area, he is also the chap for Powertouch warranty, repair for this are, well recommended.
Dusty, just tried out my damp meter, and if I have it on "Construction" and not wood , it reads the same as the service engineers readings, so now I know, Again.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I have recently use Mark Lewendon, www.markcaravanmedic.co.uk he does 40 miles radius of the Milton keynes area, he is also the chap for Powertouch warranty, repair for this are, well recommended.
Dusty, just tried out my damp meter, and if I have it on "Construction" and not wood , it reads the same as the service engineers readings, so now I know, Again.

Does this damp meter have probes? Just asking because if it does it won't be any good for us. :(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin
As Hutch says , yes. They are very very sharp. A protective cover is supplied when not in use.
When in use you must push the probes firmly into the surface so as to penetrate the plastic wall fabric. They will leave small puncture marks, virtually invisible. So most people tend to pull back the window rubber seals and insert the tool there. Under the seats on the walls near to the floor is another good area. Basically test at all joints and apertures. If you get a damp reading in the centre of the wall then I'd say you probably have real trouble on your hands :(

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Our walls are lined in GRP which means we can't use the probe ones at all. A pain in some respects but easier than wall board for hanging works of art :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is 'qualifed' ?

I happen to be a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Enginners, having been a mmember of the Institution for more than 50 years and having held senoir management responsibility in bot private and public sector industries, signed off safety critical work in both, managed a Department of close on 1000 staff in nuclear industry etc. So Am I really qualified to service my own caravan.
Answers on a postcard please

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
RayS said:
What is 'qualifed' ?

I happen to be a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Enginners, having been a mmember of the Institution for more than 50 years and having held senoir management responsibility in bot private and public sector industries, signed off safety critical work in both, managed a Department of close on 1000 staff in nuclear industry etc. So Am I really qualified to service my own caravan.

Qualified, yes by the sounds of it.
Authorised by a caravan manufacturer, no.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
RayS said:
What is 'qualifed' ?

Hello fellow Fellow. Our professional registration allows us the opportunity to challenge the stupidity of modernity where unqualified people have misinterpreted things and created the society we have now.

Like you, my pedigree is in intrinsically safe environments, a bit more than the big kettles you've had in nuclear :p

I blame poor education.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello, Fellows, I believe, like several Fellows of foundations, you pay to have a membership, As a British Licenced Aircraft Engineer we, are Governed , and Licenced, by the British Goverment we are competent to certify Certain Aircraft, but still cannot sign off our caravans or Motorhomes, ******. :( :(

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Qualified or competent?

Does qualified only mean you've taken the appropriate exams following a period of study or training?

Competent on the other hand is based on aquisition of underpinning knowledge, training, and experience to properly carry out the task.

Just a thought!! :cheer:

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I've got an old 1998 caravan in fairly good condition - I'm not qualified in anything - I do however know how to hitch me auld van to my car and head off to the hills - chose a site with good nearby amenities and bobs your uncle !!
Who was this bloke bob anyway ???

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dusty, just to double check, when using the damp meter, do you use it on Construction or Wood

Missed that one.
Hutch
Never used on construction. Will have a go tomorrow.
I think wood will retain more liquid than say concrete will hence the two settings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts