Caravan servicing?

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
As a reasonably competent mechanic, I am planning on servicing the mechanical parts of our caravan (brakes, towing mech, steadies etc. myself, and getting a mobile mech. to complete the habitation checks. Do other people do this? On the face of it, it would save a lot of money and our local dealer also pointed out he was "always very busy", and expensive, A lot of the checks are very basic ie. tyre pressures, so why pay somebody to do this? Items like the fridge, toilet, heater etc. seem to be common user items and again relatively straightforward. Am I missing something apart from a very expensive stamp in a book? Thx Simon.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I see you are looking at a 2013 Lunar which I assume is still under manufacturers warranty. Most seem to be 10 years these days. This being the case you will need to use a NCC approved servicer if you are to maintain the warranty. With all the tails of woo out there are you prepared to invalidate the warranty? If the van has not been fully serviced in accordance with the warranty conditions then I would advise walking away from the deal as well.

A van with a fully stamped book and an A frame full of service stickers will sell better in the long run as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Legally you are only required to ensure a caravan is roadworthy if it's being towed, and by the sound of it you are prepared to attempt the necessary maintenance on the running gear yourself. Caravan running gear rarely wears out, its more often age and the corrosion that months of non use can allow to compromise brakes.

But caravans tend to have this big boxy thing bolted onto the chassis, and sadly the box is usually much less durable than the chassis.

Most manufacturers do offer a warranty, but becasue this is the manufacturer's warranty they can and do tie it up with T&C that include a requirement for an annual service (whether it needs it or not) by an approved workshop. Part of this process is the body inspection, and if this is missed it may invalidate subsequent claims

If you have been watching this and other forums you will I am sure have noted the number of caravanners who have discovered damp problems. This is more prevalent as the caravans age, and it can be a very expensive issue. So the body work warranty is one where it can actually pay to follow the manufacturer's requirements.

Even though you have automatic rights under the Sale of Goods Act which nominally provides cover for up to 6 years against the seller (not the manufacturer) After six months the customer has to prove a fault must have been inherent at the time of purchase which can be quite a task, so it's usually easier to use the Manufacturer's warranty for such things on older caravans.

Consider using an approved mobile caravan engineer, as they can often be fully accredited to carry out the necessary work and inspections, and they are often cheaper than using a main dealer - but two things first of check the terms of your warranty on who can do the work ( if you want to retain the warranty you must follow the T&C's), and secondly if the T&C's allow a mobile engineer to do the work don't forget to check the guy is accredited to the work for your caravan manufacturer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just renewed our Caravan Club Insurance.
It is now a specific written Policy Warranty that as my caravan is over five years old I must have it serviced by an approved person eg mobile or dealer.
The annual service by my local chap takes a good four hours so that gives you an idea of what is involved.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Simon, i also like to sit on my garage floor and play with my nuts! But I require the Servicing stamp for my Warranty, but there is nothing wrong with keping on top of things as a day to day week to week thing, also you need a huge Tq wrench for the axle nuts.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Which reminds me, Gettingrhe van serviced tomorrow afternoon, a four hours of reading my kindle at the farm, And Simon might take my glider and helicopter up with me to have a play with, they havnt been out for several months.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Dealer service for our 'van for peace of mind and all the right bits. Happy to take ut the 20 miles to them even though there's an NCC approved workshop in an industrial unit about 500 metres from home :blink:

Suprisingly, there is no difference in cost, othervthan fuel to take to and collect from the dealer.

I was sceptical about whether or not a full history would help if trading in but at the NEC show at the weekend, we got chatting to a couple of dealers who said it does, so we'll keep it up.

I do the routine stuff - wheel nuts, tyre pressures and lighting checks before each trip. :cheer:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Keef, I am not happy with the standard of either of the two main dealers, closest to me, for my make of van, and as the NCC mobile chap has proved to be very good for at least 10 people that I know, I am more than happy to use him. Each to there own though. :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
With you 100% Hutch. I've yet to find a dealer workshop I would trust over and above our approved workshop. Also they got approved workshop of the year 2013

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ahh, but although I can do controlled crashes on real ones, with the models I am not so good, gravity seems to be much greater on mine. :(

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Know it well, try making something out of Correx (Estate Agents board), can be knocked up in a couple of evenings, and coupled to a decent engine will top 70 70 mph easily! I would add some photos but not sure I can.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are competent the only reasons to have the work done is to maintain the warranty and to have a documented service history when you sell it. You do have to decide if you feel this is worthwhile. We did however get asked about the service history when we sold our last caravan and did provide the evidence at the dealers when we traded it in so you need to be aware of the potential problems..

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I too have the van serviced at an approved workshop - mainly for the remaining warranty period, and in these litiginous times, proof that the van has had professional attention should I be involved in some accident.

Most other stuff I'd rather get the spanners out though

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Ahh, but although I can do controlled crashes on real ones, with the models I am not so good, gravity seems to be much greater on mine. :(
Hutch
I've got a big model chopper. Never flown it too scared!
I'll bring it to Wallingford for lessons please.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dusty, who will be teaching who, had mine a few years now and can still only get it to hover and do short hops around in big fields, single rotor Ezebee, supposed to be a trainer, ha,
Back on thread, caravan serviced today, all good, damp on average 8 to 10% , tested my damp meter against his and mine over reads but 3%, so at least I know.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Try the Phoenix Simulator, you can use your own tx and it has a vast range of models to choose from. Many years ago, I used it to learn / practice 3D, and now compete in UK comps. Good bit of kit.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Hi Enseo, its a Brennenstuhl, I Saw Dusty Dogs one and bought the same, fine for me to monito the damp myself, and now I know the % difference I am happy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CSNV2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hutch.
That's the one Hutch. Four of us have these.
Get one asap and compare the readings you get to those done by the professional. Its a way of verifying the calibration. Mine has always read + or - 1% compared to mobile chap. A very good tool.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
By far the biggest problem with Caravan Servicing is finding somebody that you trust to do the job properly. Ill refain from mentioning names, but I have at one time or another tried most of the main dealers in my area, and of all those tried, every one has let me down at some point or another.

I also used an independant for some years, one that had a massive reputation in the area for relaibility and customer service and they failed to find a gas leak during the habitation part of the service.

Finally, now I have a company whom I trust implicitly and even offers customer service harking back to the old days. These guys I am happy to name and for anyone in my area, Derbyshire Caravan Services have been utterly brilliant.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use Scottish caravan Services. The service is very good and David who owns it has found minor faults I knew were there but failed to tell him and fixed them without charge. For the Glasgow area he is worth trying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts