Caravan Stolen

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi all

Had my 1 year Crusader Storm stolen from the Basingstoke area late on Wednesday night.All security bits fitted,bulldog wheelclamp,robstop,corner steady locks and alarm all removed/disabled with relative ease.All insured but will be out of pocket, cant think of any other devices to stop them if i get another one.If they want it they will take it!!!!!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Know what you are feeling Mikey. We had our Conquerer stolen in broad daylight from home. Like yours all devices fitted taken off with apparant ease.We now have more security devises than the average caravan shop as well as cameras and posts but the main one is a Phantom tracker which will not stop them stealing it but will certainly aid in its recovery. You will probably find that your insurance company insists that you fit one anyway. We had to borrow money to cover the shotfall, which to be honest we couldn't really afford.

All I can say is move on, take it as a lesson leant and enjoy looking for its replacement

Brian (",)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, I can only imagine how gutted you must have been when discoverying it had gone. The only advantage I have over you is our drive slopes towards the bungalow and with the mover and drive it in A Frame first. They wouldnt be able to push it up the drive but if determined I suppose they could hook up a chain to the chassis and drag it out. The road I live in is a crescent so the only traffic is that to the bungalows. As you say though, if they are determined nothing will stop them.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mikey,

Sorry too hear about your loss, tracker is an option. And youi can get some trickey radio tags that will send a signal as soon as the thing moves out of range.

If you search the net and can leave pc running all the time there are systems that can send alerts to other PC,s or even mobile phones I understand.

Following on from a story about repeated theft the police seemd to know who was doing it but could not catch them a business owner had a gay in a the film business rig his farm so that theives could get in but sound explosives then went off.

The thieves when they revisted were said to have run for their lives and abandoned their transport leading to their arrest!

I know of Trailer users who have rigged crow scarers and smoke type grenades that make a h1ll of bang when trailer covers that have to be removed before towing are pulled of by the anaware. Also similar deviced linked to running gear and brakes.

One guy I know of had the locks removed from an enclosed race car trailer and a ground locking post removed and a car moved from beside the trailer whilst he and his family slept. As soon as the brake was released all h1ll broke loose with three loud bangs and smoke pouring from the trailer. If the trailer had then been moved their would have been more noise.

The police showed little interest as nothing was stolen!

But he gained some of the thieves tools and a nice new top of the range mobile phone that the police took to try and catch the thieves! There was no news after six months!!!!!!!!!!!

The charges can be bought legally and will do no harm if used sensibly.

A bit extreme I know but many are fed up with their goods being repeatedly stolen with little help from the Authorities and soaring financial costs due to the way insurance works!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your loss Mikey. Hanging is too good for them, make the punishment fit the crime, shoot them all!

Reminds me though, must go check on ours. That's the problem with storage, out of sight, out of mind.......

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
We used a system a few years back on cars where, when the system was armed any attempt to move the vehicle resulted in the number plate being ejected a minute or so later to reveal a sign which read: this vehicle is stolen. Obviously whoever had the van on tow was unaware of this. Sorry about your loss, by the way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
extremely sorry to here of your caravan been stolen,you're never going to stop the bstds stealing them but you can help catch them.fit a tracking system,there is no way that the caravan will not be inhabital again,they steal it to sell it or use it not trash it.once its moved, they know and will immediately or within 10 mins contact you,you tell them its not where it should be and they track it and find it,make no mistake theres not one yet that i know of that hasn't been tracked .yes they're expensive,but so is your van,and with so many arsls out there they are never going to give up.hope everything works out with the insurance etc,best of luck.

Feb 1, 2006
Visit site
If they want it they will take it????????????

Dont be too sure!!!!!

We have been in your position where our caravan was stolen, all security equipment cut off and taken within 15 minutes of leaving home.

We couldn't find a security device capable of preventing theft of our new van so made our own.

Call me on 01924 278338 (Home)and I will give you information so you can make up your own mind.

We believe they will not defeat this devise.

Trackers may recover your van if stolen but then many people would not want their caravan returned.

They may have been damaged, stripped or even lived in.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Micky very sorry to hear of your loss, please see my earlier posting re caravan stolen last Saturday morning from a well known Hampshire site, perhaps if you ask police (if you can get them interested) there could be a link.

Also I think you will find the travelling comunity just of the M3 before the Fleet services behind the car sales if it helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
kenneth

they dont have time to strip it, live in it or anything else,its instant tracking they probably wont even reach their destination.most are caught en route.ive accidently set my alarm off and within minutes the have phoned my mobile to ask me why the alarm has activated.never heard of anyone not recovering their van,only way it will be trashed is when they fail to stop for police and a chase ensues,thus this is when the caravan may be damaged.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Re traveller sites and stolen vans. If travellers were involved (not all are dishonest) the chances of the Surrey or Hants or any other Police going to a site to see if stolen van is on it is about as likeley as the sun shining Blue in the morning and it raining

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Chris, not all police are as you say. My brother is in the met and regually goes to these sites around the M25 and quite often find stolen vans.

Not all police need big strong 6' boys like yourself! to look after them whether in Iraq or not.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Kevin.

I'm sure you bro is a fine officer, sadly in my home area of the south east. House breaking and car theft happens and has happened to near neighbours and the police do not turn up until days after the theft and often only when home owners cause a fuss.

A near neighbour lost his few month old Porsche and goods from his home with little response from the police.

Around the south east and recently well publicised sites have been no go areas until roads are closed police helicoptor and filming facilities are in place and a mountain of rhino style cladded police available. I know, I live not to far from one and have seen the efforts the police go to when forced into action.

My post was a little tongue in cheek, size means nothing Kev. But the thought of somebody checking out a traveller site from even some distance is not a wise move. And I would not place money on the police doing much in the vicinity Mikey's van was sadly taken from!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Micky very sorry to hear of your loss, please see my earlier posting re caravan stolen last Saturday morning from a well known Hampshire site, perhaps if you ask police (if you can get them interested) there could be a link.

Also I think you will find the travelling comunity just of the M3 before the Fleet services behind the car sales if it helps
Hi Martin

I believe your earlier post about the well known site in Hampshire was Sandy Balls?Its a big distance between the 2.I was there that weekend and they just drove in and hitched up.It proves they dont care who,s around.The van is easy to replace its all the other bits inside that add up plus all the bits and pieces you have picked up over the years which are very difficult to replace.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin

I believe your earlier post about the well known site in Hampshire was Sandy Balls?Its a big distance between the 2.I was there that weekend and they just drove in and hitched up.It proves they dont care who,s around.The van is easy to replace its all the other bits inside that add up plus all the bits and pieces you have picked up over the years which are very difficult to replace.
Hi Mikey, you are correct, were you on a rally or did you book seperately.

I went looking after this theft, yes there was a form of security in a man driving around the site but for a site that large I did not see any form of CTV security on or near the gate.

Just Hope our postings warn others to be on their guard.

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
This theft lark REALLY winds me up. And if Tony Martin stood next to you and asked if he should pull the trigger as you watched the thieving scum relieve you of your kids summer holiday, would you say no?

We have elected to leave ours on a permanent pitch partly because of this problem.Ours is likely to be one of the lesser attractive ones.

Is ther a place on this forum for posting of the vans details so we could all keep an eye out for it?

PS, newbie so if that last comment sounds stoopid, so be it.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
This theft lark REALLY winds me up. And if Tony Martin stood next to you and asked if he should pull the trigger as you watched the thieving scum relieve you of your kids summer holiday, would you say no?

We have elected to leave ours on a permanent pitch partly because of this problem.Ours is likely to be one of the lesser attractive ones.

Is ther a place on this forum for posting of the vans details so we could all keep an eye out for it?

PS, newbie so if that last comment sounds stoopid, so be it.
Really sorry about your loss-we have just been told that our friends friends have sold their caravan to a young couple-paid in cash, gone and bought another van-a Hobby paid many thousands for it and upon their first time visit to fill it with all their own goods they had a visit to the storage place by the Police to recover it as it was stolen. They were gutted BUT because they had rang Hobby for a replacement table (as there was not one in the van) the theft then became apparent and by using the VIN number the 'new' owners address (poor things) came up and they were traced. We have heard of many many stories about Hobby vans in this situation so I would never get a Hobby. G

TRENDING THREADS