Caravan TV. 12v Confused.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Buying a second hand caravan. I want to buy a 12 volt TV, If I want to watch Satellite programmes will I have to put a Satellite Dish on the roof or will the existing aerial thing on the roof do.
Caravan 2013 Coachman Amara.
And does anyone have any recommendations for make and model.
Thanks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No need to buy a 12v TV unless you go off grid a lot. You will need a satellite dish if you want to watch Sky or Freesat programs. Although we have one fitted on our roof, you can buy a stand alone system for under £50. Sky dish with single to double LNB , tripod and cable with connectors.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I dont have TV but its not just having a satellite dish is it. Don't you also need a satellite tuner or a TV with that function built in?

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I dont have TV but its not just having a satellite dish is it. Don't you also need a satellite tuner or a TV with that function built in?
Some TVs like Avtex you can connect the TV direct to the satellite dish. Otherwise a Sky box or something like a Humax box for Freesat. However if you have a Smart TV you simply download films etc. using your smart phone as a router.

Reactions: Kevin M
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use maxview dish, size depends on whereabouts you are, good information on the maxview website,our television is LG from Argos with built in satellite tuner, cost less than £200 We connect the cable to the dish then other end to caravan cable lead in battery box , then tv to cable socket in caravan, hardest part is tuning in the satellite, but maxview has built in satellite finder .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We recently bought an LG smart tv for the house - it claims satellite tuner but despite being 4K UHD it's only a single satellite connection so no HD channels - just meant we had to carry on using the Freesat receiver and a HDMI connection.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
... it's only a single satellite connection so no HD channels
Why's that then? I thought that multiple inputs from the LNB were to enable multi-tuner setups (ie watch one channel and simultaneously record another). I didn't think it was a bandwidth thing...?

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Buying a second hand caravan. I want to buy a 12 volt TV, If I want to watch Satellite programmes will I have to put a Satellite Dish on the roof or will the existing aerial thing on the roof do.
Thanks.
Some tv's have a freesat or satellte tuner a separate freesat/satelilte box is more common.I've never come across a 12 V satellite box that does'nt mean to say there isn't one

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
you would still need a dish to watch satelite tv progs but you can get tvs with satelite tuner built in (12v/240) and just connect the dish lead straight to the tv, or you can get similar freesat boxes which are also 12v/240to connect between tv and dish, and depending on what you want to pay for a dish you can get one where you have to do all the setup or you can get autofind/tune ones and neither need to be fixed to a roof

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, most flat screen LCD TV's run on 12v. The220v mains power is transformed down to 12v but finding a TV designed for home use which uses a 12v supply might be difficult.
A travel TV such as Avtex, Cello, T4tec or even the one Aldi are currently offering run purely on 12v so you can watch TV when on or off grid. Some have a built-in satellite receiver however you will need a satellite dish. The aerial on your roof won't receive a satellite signal.
There are loads of videos on YouTube about caravan satellite systems. I have a satellite dish which I use when in France. However, in the UK I don't bother with satellite anymore since getting ROKU streaming device connected to a 4G router with an unlimited data SIM.
Something else to consider with satellite, you have to have clear line of sight from your location to the satellite.
Locating the correct satellite and aligning the dish to it can also be chalenging sometimes, but there are plenty of phone apps which can help you with this.
I hope this helps :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless I'm very much mistaken, most flat screen LCD TV's run on 12v. The220v mains power is transformed down to 12v but finding a TV designed for home use which uses a 12v supply might be difficult.
That is a dangerous in incorrect assumption. It might be true for TV designed for caravanning, but I have seen 6V, 8 ,9, 11.5, 12, 13.5, 15, 18 , and 24V small tv's. Some would be damaged by plugging 12V directly and others might not work properly, and then theirs the fact that 12V chargers will produce up to 14.5V.

Safest to check teh individual TV's specification.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
That is a dangerous in incorrect assumption. It might be true for TV designed for caravanning, but I have seen 6V, 8 ,9, 11.5, 12, 13.5, 15, 18 , and 24V small tv's. Some would be damaged by plugging 12V directly and others might not work properly, and then theirs the fact that 12V chargers will produce up to 14.5V.

Safest to check teh individual TV's specification.

I haven't made an assumption and I am correct that most, I didn't say all LCD flat screen TV's run on 12v. Other versions may run at the voltages you mention and they would have their own dedicated power supply.
The point being that modern domestic LCD TV's may have a 220v input but they have transformers to reduce the mains voltage to the required voltage which generally speaking is around 12v for up to 19" and 20 to 24v for bigger sets. My 24" Avtex however, runs at 12v
They often have a relatively broad operating range too, some quoting between 10.9 and 15.5 volts.
A TV requiring voltages you mention outside this range, clearly would not be equipped with a plug that can fit into the 12v sockets fitted to a caravan, they would be powered by a 220v socket and have a transformer to reduce the power accordingly. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts