Caravan tyres

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi i think you need to read what Gabsgrandad has put down ("Yes the Tyron Bands must have worked" as i had no idea we had had a puncture ):giggle:

That’s not correct. Read his post. He did have symptoms. He just didn’t know what was causing them. Both Lutz and I have suffered blowouts on the van and in neither case did the tyre come off of the rim. Why was that as neither of us had Tyron?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That’s not correct. Read his post. He did have symptoms. He just didn’t know what was causing them. Both Lutz and I have suffered blowouts on the van and in neither case did the tyre come off of the rim. Why was that as neither of us had Tyron?
But did read what he put down ?
Yes the Tyron Bands must have worked as i had no idea we had had a puncture Till We Stop! (Just remember he did 20/25 miles )
Someone told me not to take it personally but many Experience caravanners choose not to fit them . and on that note
I have 37 years experience caravanning ,using different car & van combinations Also with Excellent Experience Caravan Engineer who services my present van as well as previous ones.
Any queries i am unsure of i would ask his Proffessional opinion.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes the Tyron Bands must have worked as i had no idea we had had a puncture Till We Stop! (Just remember he did 20/25 miles )
Someone told me not to take it personally but many Experience caravanners choose not to fit them . and on that note
I have 37 years experience caravanning ,using different car & van combinations Also with Excellent Experience Caravan Engineer who services my present van as well as previous ones.

He actually wrote that he had driven 20/25 miles when the Freelander seemed to be loosing power. So I read that to mean that until then things had been okay. Had he driven 20/25 miles with a punctured tyre I cannot realistically believe that he wouldn’t have noticed or other motorists warned him. After all the van would have been sloping side to side in the rear view mirror.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Who did 20/25 miles?
On a flat tyre?
This thread is entering the realms of fantasy now.
For those who want to spend money on Tyron bands, great! Crack on!
A better idea might be to keep caravan tyres correctly inflated, to inspect the tyres regularly for signs of cracks or bulges and to replace tyres when they are 5 years old and before they are 7 years old regardless of tread depth.
Good tyre pressure monitoring systems look like a worthwhile investment.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think Tyron bands when they were a new concept were a good and a saftey concious idea for tourers who done many miles. Now that tyre pressure monitors are easy to fit and give a constant and instant monitoring of the tyre pressure and tempreatures. Ithink they are a better thing to fit if your touring a lot or are very saftey aware. I have both fitted at present.
Not all Kwik-fit mobile tyre fitters carry the equipment or have done the course to remove and refit the tyron bands. I carry the tyron mobile kit in the car , another 6 kg, weight I could dispence with.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think Tyron bands when they were a new concept were a good and a saftey concious idea for tourers who done many miles. Now that tyre pressure monitors are easy to fit and give a constant and instant monitoring of the tyre pressure and tempreatures. Ithink they are a better thing to fit if your touring a lot or are very saftey aware. I have both fitted at present.
Not all Kwik-fit mobile tyre fitters carry the equipment or have done the course to remove and refit the tyron bands. I carry the tyron mobile kit in the car , another 6 kg, weight I could dispence with.
So far i had no problem with Kwik- fit mobile tyre fitters but saying that we only brought our caravan March/April 2019 use it 6 times the rest of the time was spent at the doctors or hospital ( At present i am tests done ) My doctor told me to take it day by day and that what i am doing . :giggle:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The debate as to whether or not Tyron bands are worth having has been going on for years.

The only people who make any statement about them are the makers.

There has been no independent testing done on them .

The point is, if you feel safer by having them , have them!

If you are not convinced they are worth the trouble, dont have them !!

Personally I do not think they do any good, especially seeing how much pressure is needed to separate the tyre bead from the rim when the tyres are changed.

In every instance that I have had a blow out of a tyre the bead has never fallen into the fitting well and there were no Tyrons fitted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Also Clive what i told Roger what i put down is word for word online so you are saying the person who wrote it has it wrong .
The Actual Bands itself works by locking the tyre onto the wheel preventing the wheel itself from hitting the road i have just read a review on Camping and caravan Club the bands work there :giggle:
Have you ever had Tyron bands fitted? We have had them on a previous caravan and they go around the inner hub of the wheel. I think that perhaps using the term "lock" can be interpreted in different ways by different people. The Tyron band prevents the tyre from leaving the wheel, but probably does not prevent the wheel coming in contact with the ground. Luckily we never had to test it. Using a Tyron band is very similar to using run flat tyres. Here is a video that is self explanatory.
Best safety measure is run flat tyres and a TPMS fitted.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever had Tyron bands fitted? We have had them on a previous caravan and they go around the inner hub of the wheel. I think that perhaps using the term "lock" can be interpreted in different ways by different people. The Tyron band prevents the tyre from leaving the wheel, but probably does not prevent the wheel coming in contact with the ground. Luckily we never had to test it. Using a Tyron band is very similar to using run flat tyres. Here is a video that is self explanatory.
Best safety measure is run flat tyres and a TPMS fitted.
Beachball said (Did you read my Early post before all this started i had a blowout)
So when you said( have you had Tyron Bands fitted) who did you mean ?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Beachman said (Did you read my Early post before all this started i had a blowout)
So when you said( have you had Tyron Bands fitted) who did you mean ?
Not sure who Beachman is although I love the beach and sea. LOL! I have now seen your post regarding them being fitted by the previous owner. When it comes to change our tyres we will be looking for tyres that are not budget tyres and not premium either. Come to think of it, a Bridgestone tyre on the rear of my Surf and with no cover over it was 15 years old and still looked like brand new with no cracks. Maybe it is worth paying extra for premium tyres on a caravan if they last 15 or more years without cracking.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure who Beachman is althouhg I love the beach and sea. LOL! I have now seen your post regarding them being fitted by the previous owner. When it comes to change our tyres we will be looking for tyres that are not budget tyres and not premium either. Come to think of it, a Bridgestone tyre on the rear of my Surf and with no cover over it was 15 years old and still looked like brand new with no cracks. Maybe it is worth paying extra for premium tyres on a caravan if they last 15 or more years without cracking.
Well the tyres on our Abbey are only two years old and what i have been told the last owner put some good ones so i am ok with that
(i think you need specsavers i cannot see beachman)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure who Beachman is although I love the beach and sea. LOL! I have now seen your post regarding them being fitted by the previous owner. When it comes to change our tyres we will be looking for tyres that are not budget tyres and not premium either. Come to think of it, a Bridgestone tyre on the rear of my Surf and with no cover over it was 15 years old and still looked like brand new with no cracks. Maybe it is worth paying extra for premium tyres on a caravan if they last 15 or more years without cracking.
If your surf was used regularly the rotation of the wheels would ensure that the anti lifing additives in the tyre compound were continually distributed throughout. Also modern caravans sit static at high pressures for longer periods than cars. But I totally agree that for the additional cost quality tyres are a must with me.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well the tyres on our Abbey are only two years old and what i have been told the last owner put some good ones so i am ok with that
(i think you need specsavers i cannot see beachman)
It is great to be able to edit a post, but the quote in my post remains unedited. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mistakes are made, human error, but with my own health issues this is even more easily done. Hope you never have to deal with this,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi i think you need to read what Gabsgrandad has put down ("Yes the Tyron Bands must have worked" as i had no idea we had had a puncture ):giggle:
I did read Gabsgrandad's posting when he first reported it. Let me be clear I am not suggesting Gabsgandad is lying, he is of course entitled to his opinion, but the evidence he provided is not conclusive of the effectiveness of tyre bands.

There is no way either he or even a tyre fitter could conclusively say without a forensic investigation the event was saved by tyre bands, becasue it is exactly why modern wheel rims have bead retention ridges built into them and do essentially do the same job.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mistakes are made, human error, but with my own health issues this is even more easily done. Hope you never have to deal with this,

The average age of active forum members will mean that most of us have various health issues to deal with.
Unless Tyron bands are fitted to battery driven mobility chariots our various health issues are nothing to do with this discussion.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did read Gabsgrandad's posting when he first reported it. Let me be clear I am not suggesting Gabsgandad is lying, he is of course entitled to his opinion, but the evidence he provided is not conclusive of the effectiveness of tyre bands.

There is no way either he or even a tyre fitter could conclusively say without a forensic investigation the event was saved by tyre bands, becasue it is exactly why modern wheel rims have bead retention ridges built into them and do essentially do the same job.

As a matter of interest I wonder if modern caravan wheels would have a retention bead built into them? Somehow I doubt it. :)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
What I perhaps should have added to my account was that I had had a blow out previous to fitting Tyrons at 60 mph, and had great difficulty slowing/keeping the van in 'shape' to get pulled up. (on M5) In fact a car which was overtaking me at the time pulled up in front of me and accused me of 'hitting' him. After inspection of our vehicles it was obvious there had been no impact but just the 'shockwave' from either the blowout or sudden lurch of the van had affected him. It was this incident that persuaded me to try the bands. So had bad experience with and without the bands, However I have experienced them so do know a 'little' of what it's about. I/we have had other 'flats' experience over 40+ years of caravanning, but one thing I will say that the frequency of punctures/flats seems to have diminished markedly since tubed crossply tyres disappeared. (And I can't remember how long ago that was, but a fair while. Ps incident was radial. Just so that isn't picked on by the 'experts')

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As a matter of interest I wonder if modern caravan wheels would have a retention bead built into them? Somehow I doubt it. :)

Somehow - you're incorrect - if you watch a tyre being fitted you'll hear a large pop as the air pressure forces the bead over the safety ledge and up against the lip of the rim.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Somehow - you're incorrect - if you watch a tyre being fitted you'll hear a large pop as the air pressure forces the bead over the safety ledge and up against the lip of the rim.
Never been around when a caravan tyre has been replaced so would not know. I do know about the "pop" on car tyres.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

I did read what Gabsgrandad wrote, but I was only referring to his photo which illustrates roughly what my tyre looked like after the blow-out. I don't know what Tyron bands can do once the tyre has disintegrated to such an extent.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They are suppose to keep the trye on the wheel just for a short time, they don't claim any time limit. How long does it take for a deflated tyre to wear through to the wheel when going along at 60 mph.
Less than a mile i would think.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By far the best solution is to take action that helps to prevent blowouts. That means keeping the tyres in good condition - especially when in storage:-

Maintaining the correct inflation pressure. (if a tyre persistently looses pressure get it checked for a puncture, or poor seal to the rim or a faulty valve). Do not allow the caravan to sit or travel on an under inflated tyre.
Protecting them from direct sunlight.
Inspecting the tyres for any damage or signs of failure such as cracks, bulges or other damage before each trip.

Fit and use an effective Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems
Drive carefully and take care not to kerb the tyres.

Apart from the increase of un-sprung weight and the reduction in overall payload capacity of the caravan, the cost of the bands and the difficulties of fitting tyre with tyre bands there is no problem with using them if it make you feel happier.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
By far the best solution is to take action that helps to prevent blowouts. That means keeping the tyres in good condition - especially when in storage:-

Maintaining the correct inflation pressure. (if a tyre persistently looses pressure get it checked for a puncture, or poor seal to the rim or a faulty valve). Do not allow the caravan to sit or travel on an under inflated tyre.
Protecting them from direct sunlight.
Inspecting the tyres for any damage or signs of failure such as cracks, bulges or other damage before each trip.

Fit and use an effective Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems
Drive carefully and take care not to kerb the tyres.

Apart from the increase of un-sprung weight and the reduction in overall payload capacity of the caravan, the cost of the bands and the difficulties of fitting tyre with tyre bands there is no problem with using them if it make you feel happier.
Very good advice. At present it is suggested that caravan tyres are replaced every 5 - 8 years regardless of condition. This is understandable as most new caravans seem to be fitted with the cheapest budget tyre. Would the same guidelines on age apply if you had premium tyres fitted?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very good advice. At present it is suggested that caravan tyres are replaced every 5 - 8 years regardless of condition. This is understandable as most new caravans seem to be fitted with the cheapest budget tyre. Would the same guidelines on age apply if you had premium tyres fitted?
Yes. I think 8 years is pushing it for the road tyres. I change at 5 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts