caravan weights

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
have not been through al the forum, so this issue may have been mentioned before[ very surprised if it has'nt! ] but as vans get heavier will we all be towing with 4 wheel drives or very old vans in the future, when will the time come when manufacturers start making lighter vans to be towed by family saloons.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray D,

If you look around at the various dealers you,ll find loads of caravans very capable of being towed by ordinary cars.Youdon,t have to have a 4x4vehicle to tow a caravan as some would have you believe.We,ve been caravanning for 30yrs and we have towed with our everyday car not below a 2litre engine mind.

Happy caravanning its a great hobby.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I agree with Jim. There appears to be a really dogmatic attitude to the 85% recommendation by some parts of the caravanning community who see an unavoidable need for a 4x4 to tow even the slightly heavier than average caravan. Don't forget that the average car is getting heavier, too.

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
Hi Ray D,

If you look around at the various dealers you,ll find loads of caravans very capable of being towed by ordinary cars.Youdon,t have to have a 4x4vehicle to tow a caravan as some would have you believe.We,ve been caravanning for 30yrs and we have towed with our everyday car not below a 2litre engine mind.

Happy caravanning its a great hobby.Jim
i take your point lutz & jim, but i am thinking several years in the future, i have just changed my van to one which is more recent but smaller and about the same weight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts