Caravanning in a hot climate

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Cool My Camper type portable aircon unit that's designed for caravans and motor homes. It fits over the caravans window cill. Part remains outside and part inside. They are connected by a flat umbilical so the window can be shut (the rubber seal compresses around the umbilical).

It works, but as others have said its not like a cars aircon, or roof mounted aircon which we had in a MH I would liken it to underfloor domestic heating compared to a fan heater. It needs to be running pretty much full time to gain any real benefit. It doesn't make a vast difference to the temperature 4-5⁰C but what it does do is really reduce the humidity, so it's far more comfortable.
AC units that can produce a more effective segregation of condenser and evaporator sides like the Cool My Camper, will be more effective than a domestic mobile AC unit. But as with all AC systems in caravans it will be limited by the available power to drive the units. However it does mean you could use it at home in hot weather. It might make a difference in one room at least.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
A tourer is ok being well insulated and we manage quite well without ac, but with a 12" fan, most of the day we're outside anyway. We did hire a static one year on the Mediterranean coast when it was hitting 42 degrees, that was tough and the van was like an oven when we went out for the day.

For that reason our dog stays in England when we head for the heat, we wouldn't trust ac to keep her cool while we were out, if the power trips the dog's at serious risk.

Reactions: PTA
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A tourer is ok being well insulated and we manage quite well without ac, but with a 12" fan, most of the day we're outside anyway. We did hire a static one year on the Mediterranean coast when it was hitting 42 degrees, that was tough and the van was like an oven when we went out for the day.

For that reason our dog stays in England when we head for the heat, we wouldn't trust ac to keep her cool while we were out, if the power trips the dog's at serious risk.
Even if the power did trip surely you would not leave your dog alone that long in a caravan?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What about sleeping in the awning? Is it better than sleeping inside caravan?
Never tried it so cannot comment, but in early morning the inside of the awning can get hotter than Hades.

The last time I slept in an awning, I had a visit by a leopard who sniffed my face waking me up. I shooed him out not realising the danger, but you should not have that problem in Spain. LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What about sleeping in the awning? Is it better than sleeping inside caravan?
Not really unless you can wear blackout eye shades and are not sensitive to early morning noises. We never had a problem sleeping in the van. You just open it all up as the sun goes down. It cools off fairly quickly.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Never tried it so cannot comment, but in early morning the inside of the awning can get hotter than Hades.

The last time I slept in an awning, I had a visit by a leopard who sniffed my face waking me up. I shooed him out not realising the danger, but you should not have that problem in Spain. LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Would that be Longleat, Woburn, west Midlands, or Knowsley?

John

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We go to Portugal in August and then on to Spain and have been doing so for 15+ years. Over that time we have never felt the need for aircon...even last year when temps were in the upper 30s for a few days. As previously mentioned, modern caravans are well insulated (ours, like most, is grade 3). Rooflights fully open at night (with fly screens) and a single bedsheet seem to do the trick. The awning keeps one side in shade and, usually, hedges on the other side do the same. We take an electric fan but I'm not sure we have ever used it.
Are we unusual?

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We go to Portugal in August and then on to Spain and have been doing so for 15+ years. Over that time we have never felt the need for aircon...even last year when temps were in the upper 30s for a few days. As previously mentioned, modern caravans are well insulated (ours, like most, is grade 3). Rooflights fully open at night (with fly screens) and a single bedsheet seem to do the trick. The awning keeps one side in shade and, usually, hedges on the other side do the same. We take an electric fan but I'm not sure we have ever used it.
Are we unusual?
Why would you think you are unusual as it is up to the individual to do what they would like to do? After all if you use premium fuel that is your choice. :D

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts