CARAVANS PARKED ON PEOPLES DRIVES PERMANTLY

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello everyone,can you tell me if storing a caravan on your drive affects the sale of your neighbour property.i have just viewed a property where a caravan was stored and was told by several people that it can affect the resale value by up to £20,000.as a caravanner myself i choose to store in a secure compand but have never heard of this

your replys would be welcome

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dave

I have heard of this problem before. My mother moved into a house whose drive ran next to her bedroom window at a higher level, there was a caravan parked there towering above the bedroom. She moved the window to another wall where there was a fabulous view anyway. Difficult to generalise I think.It wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't in front of my lounge window!

Helen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Problems with the neighbours is fairly common if you store your van at home and several cases have been mentioned in the past on this forum. We are fortunate to live in an older house with no restrictions on keeping caravans on the property and I have stored my van on the drive for years without any problem. The house on the side where the caravan is parked has been sold twice in that time and I am sure the price was not affected (my neighbour would have soon been round to complain if it had!). We recently had some building work done and had to temporarily move the van to the other side of the garden, the neighbour on that side came round almost immediately and demanded to know if the van was staying there because he could see the top 6 inches of it over his Leylandi hedge! He threatened to grow the hedge higher to hide it if we didnt move it! Jim.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
I have had a van on my drive since '73 when we moved here.It is well placed, dificult to see from the road and the from another house only if they hang upside down from the refters. I can honestly say it makes no difference.

If the van is more visable, untidy ect I can see it making a difference as it becomes a negotiating tool just like next doors spare car in bits on the drive would. Remember house prices are driven by Estate Agents and they have all the imagination in the world.

One hears the storys, they get exagerated.

ttfn

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You have a basic right to enjoy your own property.

If an estate agent tells to your neighbour that your caravan is devaluing his property, the agent is also falsely inflating the price for the prospective/new owner. In these circumstances I'd suggest referring the matter to Trading Standards under the Trades Description Act.

If there are no covenants in your house deeds to prevent the full enjoyment of your own property DON'T allow threat of local authority restrictions or neighbours valuations to restrict your choice.

Local authority restrictions can be overturned, the Caravan Club can advise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we sold our house last year our estate agent told us having our van stored along side our garage was a bonus as it showed how much space there was to potential buyers! I think the estate agents will often tell you what they think you want to hear. Certainly our agent told us that they often get people asking for houses that have space to store a caravan, trailer, boat, car etc. At the end of the day some buyers will always look for points to try and bring the asking price down and others would see having room to stare a caravan as a bonus.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

we recently bought a new build house and, having kept our (small) caravan on the drive of our old house I checked with the builders and my solicitor if there was anything to prevent us keeping it on the drive of the new house - there wasn't.

luckily we have good neighbours who aren't bothered by it, but I'm not sure they could do anything about it if they were - unless it was blocking views, sunlight, etc.

surely the cost of a property is dictated by the local market and surveyours valuations rather than a movable item such as a caravan??

kind regards

Mark (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree with Jo. When we were looking for our present house we had a long list of requirements including room to park several cars and a caravan. Definately an advantage and should put the price up! Jim.

G

As has been mentioned if there are no Covenants then legally you can what you like. However, you do have to live in the place and getting on with your neighbours is probably an advantage, I know some don't and don't care, but it is probably better if you do. I think this is more relevant if you are the only one in the street with a van on your drive. If there are others then it won't probably matter.

The things is grudges caused by this sort of thing, even if you feel are not important, can remain for a very long time and you never know when you may need something yourself.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree with Jo. When we were looking for our present house we had a long list of requirements including room to park several cars and a caravan. Definately an advantage and should put the price up! Jim.
I DEFINITELY think my spelling is shocking! Jim.

I have kept my caravan on my driveway for the last 16 yrs and I live in culdesac and their have been house sales in my street without any problems.

If the Local Authority recieve to many complaints you can be made to move it. Technically it can be classed as accomadation.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
It depends on where the caravan is parked really,it might make it harder to sell,but wouldnt devalue it.In my house deeds im not allowed to have a caravan on my drive or a sign written van.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
I dunno if the law is different up here it probably is but according to my Misives I am not allowed to store my caravan on my property, we have to use storage. You are also not allowed a comercial vehical parked on your drive, boat or anything other than you car which must not have advertising on the bodywork.

Martin

In Scotland

May 21, 2008
Visit site
For the past five years I've had Two caravans (one a twin axle) a boat, a trailer and two cars parked at my house without complaint. Even had the local planning officer visit about 6 times as we were doing a rebuild. All of this on a small housing estate.

Had no complaints about the caravans etc, but loads of grief about the loft conversion.

Plenty of property has changed hands on the estate only one close to me, so I've not scared them off yet!! Prices are not affected and often people these days are looking for more parking space anyway as even without a caravan (or two) we have more families with 3-4 cars now.

Steve.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
For the past five years I've had Two caravans (one a twin axle) a boat, a trailer and two cars parked at my house without complaint. Even had the local planning officer visit about 6 times as we were doing a rebuild. All of this on a small housing estate.

Had no complaints about the caravans etc, but loads of grief about the loft conversion.

Plenty of property has changed hands on the estate only one close to me, so I've not scared them off yet!! Prices are not affected and often people these days are looking for more parking space anyway as even without a caravan (or two) we have more families with 3-4 cars now.

Steve.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
If there are no covenents/deeds stating that you are prohibited from using your land for storage then there will be no problems. On a lot of properties you are unable to park to the front of the building line, on others you can park wherever you like. It all depends on the original builder who applied for the covenents in the first place.

A lot of this is hiked up by Estate Agents who won't even know if their purchaser owns a caravan before completion of sale!

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
I'm lucky in that my drive is big enough for the van and two cars to go side by side and we still have room for a fourth car, The van has been in front of my garage for the 7 months I have owned it and no one has said a word, the house opposite sold in about 5 days just recently so I dont think it affects that. The estate agents will tell the van owner its a plus as it shows how big the drive is and tell the people opposite that it impacts the price by 20k so he can sell the house to his mate who then sells it on at full price and makes 20k in a few weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts