Carrying bikes

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi
We are planning on taking our bikes with us for the first time during next bank holiday. 2 of the bikes will travel on the roof of the car. Have bought a 2 bike cycle carrier from Halfords - think its called their advanced cycle carrier. Towcar is a people carrier- handlebars of bikes will be approx 10 ft off the ground.

See lots of bikes being carried on roofs when towing. Any advice from people experienced in doing this. Most of journey will be on motorway with just either end being on main A roads. Wondering about any effect of having bikes high up on the roof.
Many thanks in advance

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tapestry.
Must say that we have never taken our bikes away with us(sounds like a good idea though).
Was wondering if you can fit them in,would it be better to put them in the caravan,providing it wont take you over your weight limit of course.
Adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always used to carry our racing bikes(usually 4) on a standard roof rack with the bike inverted and a strap round each brake lever and the seat
Modern racks are much better
Its very common to see them on the car roof on site so I would not worry about it
Compared to the area and wind resistance of the caravan you will probably feel little difference but you may be aware of them on a windy day when solo
You need to be careful not to exceed the rear axle weight limit if you add bikes on the car rear as well as the caravan noseweight and luggage in the car

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
no problems experienced with the three children's bikes on the roof. Must say we leave ours at home though as taking five and the rear carrier for them when going out days seems a bit much! We walk the dog while the children cycle. Using the mont blanc system, will be easier as they move up to a 24" frame though as the 20" frames only just fit.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Buy racks/bars/fittings that are the best quality you can, and make sure of the security before setting off, and at breaks. Sorry that sounds bad.
I followed a car last Monday over the A66 who lost a bike. Luckily I was well back, so could slow down and wait for bike to stop bouncing! Landed in lane 2 which was empty, but the car that tried to overtake me got a big fright, he maybe now knows why I had my hazards on. The driver of the bike car looked very shaken too.
I have seen several bikes come off or just look insecure. When towing I stay back, but even when normal driving I hate to sit behind a car with cycles on roof, they usually are doing 95 anyway! Personal preference is for the rear bike carriers, but make sure we can see your lights/indicators!!

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the replies. Have thought about taking bikes for a few years, like the idea of leaving the car on site and using cycling routes. Think we will try driving round the block with bikes on the roof just to get the feel of them on the roof before towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts