Cars speeding on site

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Friday evening between 8.00 and 9.30 pm (summer) seems to me to be the worst, this is when all the latecomers arrive and frantically chase each other round the site for the last pitches!

I thought sites were supposed to close at 7.00pm, some chance, but like a lot of CC rules eg. "positively" no arrivals until after 12.00 ha ha ha, this is constantly flouted.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

Had a wonderful Easter break on a lovely family site. Everyone seem to be enjoying themselves. It was however mared by a couple of insidents. It wasn't the cars speeding that were the problem. In one incident a little boy about 10/12 years cycled at speed around a bend onto a pitch where a caravan had just pitch half an hour before. The little chap had been tearing around that bend at speed for a couple of days whilst the pitch was empty. Luckily he was only a bit shaken but the van looked worse. Another incident also involve a younger lad on a bike. He had to swerve to avoid a group of people walking along the site roads. He ended up a bit grazed and messed his bike up a bit. In both the incidents the children were travelling probably in excess of 15mph. Speed limits on site should apply to ALL vehicles...two as well as four wheeled. Its lovely to see the next generation of caravaners enjoying themselves...making new friends...getting away from the box. But its horrible to think what could happen in situations such as those I have describe above.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunatey kids are kids. I know 'cause I used to be one.... Kids will always race round and make noise. They dont know how fast they are going and if they are still quite young parents will always want them in plain sight. If they could ride off else where then the chances are they are competent on thier bikes and can be trusted to ride with at least one wheel on the ground and in control at all times... Don't ask how being on one wheel is in control! If you had to ask you would never understand! Trust me most kids even on one wheel have more control than most adults with both wheels on the ground.

It was unfortunate but that is why we have insurance. If you cannot put up with kids then go to an adults only site. We do if we want some quite time.

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
To be honest, 5mph is virtually impossible to drive at without constantly slipping the clutch - not something you really want to do with your van in tow. However, sppeding around a campsite at anything more than just above clutch slipping speed is just plain irresponsible. In reality you are driving at about jogging speed which is 8/10mph.

Anyone with a Road Angel or Sat Nav, try driving at 5mph and see what I mean.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Cerbera you do have a point and I suppose all you can do is use your judgment on speed. If you are going too fast you will know. I know some do drive too fast sometimes and it is wrong but at a speed where you can see everything and stop in time is more reasonable.

I would say use common sense but as we know it is not actually that common.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, Some interesting thoughts here. Last weekend we stayed at Cirencester Park and I would say that 95% of cars and outfits exceeded the speed limit. However, I would also suggest that the vast majority of drivers do not realise that they are breaking the speed limit. Yes, they drive fairly slowly, but the truth is 5 m.p.h. is a quick walking pace. I do drive at 5 m.p.h. on site, but people look at me as if I'm casing the joint! I would urge everyone not to guess that they're driving slowly enough but to check their speedo, especially driving downhill. Should also add that the limits apply to cyclists as well. Best wishes, George T.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts