Caution #3

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As before absolutely no intention of causing unnecessary alarm, particularly to those new to overseas trips.
As a regular two trips a year traveller for the past 20 years mainly on the western ferry routes i have noticed a considerable decline in the standards of marshalling by deck crew particularly at disembarkation where the objective seems to be to empty the boat as fast as possible regardless of safety or possible damage. On 4 consecutive trips now the signals of the crew - if (a) understood and (b) followed would have led to near or actual collisions with other vehicles. Only experience prevent this happening - experience which travellers new to the process may not have.
The hand signals given have ranged from what might have been scratching round the waistline to complete windmilling of the arms. While the crew may be very experienced at handling HGVs ( as the company claims ) they are obviously unaware that the geometry of artic HGVs is not the same as a mid pivoted car/caravan outfit and thus the turn radius is quite different ( plus HGV drivers are professions who do this all the time and actually need very little or no assistance whereas caravanners may only tow a few times a year and then not in the confines of a ship facing a big ramp.)
My wife now tows and on one trip this year followed the instructions given and hit the mirrors of an HGV with the side of the caravan. The deck office maintained that she had not followed directions given. How the office could know this is difficult to understand as the officer was standing in front of the crew giving directions,
I have suggested to the company that their crews should use a standardised set of signals in a deliberate manner as do aircraft marshalling ground crew. Their replies have been curt and basically ' if you do what we tell you all will be well'.
So if not experienced , please stay calm, use your own judgement and refused to be hurried or put into a position you consider potentially dangerous. no easy but surely the thing to do.
If you have a dashcam, i would switch it on such that you can produce some evidence if necessary. Up to now I have not had such a device but one will be ordered soon. Be aware though that they are illegal in parts of europe and you may need to remove it before getting on the open road.

If you have read all 3 of my recent comments you may wonder why i still go. Because such small incidents can take the gloss off an otherwise memorable holiday and i would like to help others avoid the experience andstress.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Emerson as much as I agree with you, no matter how much anyone tries to marshall me into a position , its my disition. And as you say which ever vechile you are in charge of HGV, 5thwheel or caravan , its up to the driver in the end, as an Aircraft Engineer, my pilots trust me to bring them into an area but will always 'Stop ' if they are uncertain, parking a S92, $30 million helicopters are expensive if pranged. Rotor blade 250 k ouch.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that if in doubt watch the mirrors and stop if you do not think you can make it.
All holiday companies just deny liability whatever happens. If you feel they are to blame and they repudiate just issue a small claims summons and watch them change their mind. Did it for my daughter and her boyfriend and they got twice what they would have accepted if the company had told the truth instead of a pile of blatant lies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Hutch, not quite sure why you replied to Emerson but glad that someone else shares my views. I'm a Friend of the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton from where you can quite often watch at pretty close range trainee handlers being put through their paces whie some luchless pilot has to make a whole number of approaches try to make it difficult for them. Not the quietest thing either, with the Lynx.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts