CC site prices !!!!

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Brief background : Have no caravan, researching all about it.

I got a booklet from the CC about all of their UK sites including prices. Upon trying to calculate the price it would cost for my family (2 adults 1 child - 5 months) I was shocked how much it really costs.

Firstly it does not state that the cost is "PER NIGHT" in the booklet, I looked high and low, and found nothing. Their website does state this.

Please anyone, correct me if I am wrong, but for a site (in peak season) charging £7 per pitch, £5 per adult, and £2 per child staying for a 7 day holiday. that would cost £133 PLUS £49 if I were not a CC member. This is an average price, and some were much more !

This sounds really expensive to me, I know most pitches give you a electricity hook-up, but for that price you could stay in some B&B's and I thought caravanning was cheaper.

I thought the prices were per pitch and didn't depend upon amount of people staying ?

For a new family who haven't even bought a caravan yet, this is starting to work out a tad on the expensive side. Even if we manage to get a cheap caravan, the cost (assuming I am correct)for everthing, maintenace, insurance, including all the extra stuff you need, may just be beyond us.

Hoping I have made a mistake,

Rubix

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Rubix

You proberly are not fare out re pricing CC sites. But you need to compair apples with apples re B& B. Most CC sites a 4Star. But there is one near to me that is

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rubix, you are quite right with your pricing, and whoever told you caravanning was cheap was not telling the whole truth!!

However,

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
David & Damian,

It wasn't just one person (more like several opinions) saying it was cheaper, unless they were slightly fibbing and meaning only the site fees (without the cost of van, insurance etc etc).

The other advantages, being more flexible, knowing who has used the van, etc defintely appeal to us.

I do think it will take a few years of saving till we will be able to afford everything. I know you can get a cheap van if you are prepared to look, but I would prefer to get a new-ish outfit that is 5 to 10 years old, so that is unlikely for less than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rubix,

Another pointer for you .....children are only charged from the age of 5 in the Caravan Club.....and if you can be flexible with holiday dates and not go in high season then the prices are much lower.Caravanning is definitely not a cheap option.....but the independence which you have is wonderful.

A lot of your equipment could be bought second hand to give you a start.

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
hi rubix, we are members of both the camping & caravanning club and the Caravan club. When our children were young we were very short on pennies and were members of the c&cc we found their holiday sites very cheap. These are temporary holiday sites run by members sometimes for a few weeks or even the whole summer, some are on a field next to a commercial site others are on farms. Some have toilets and showers available but at others you do need your own facilities. I have just looked at the prices - you won't find them on the website but members are sent a booklet each month with full details. the average cost seems to be about

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Lady Maureen. Because our little one is not only under 5, but of course not subject to being in School, off-peak will be a major plus in saving money.

I will indeed be buying many items 2nd hand too as a way to save cash.

I have read a few issues of PC, but have not seen a list as to what is essential, and what is beneficial. Where can I find such a guide as to what you need for those setting up. Assuming I know nothing about caravanning.

Also assume the van is empty when I buy it (except fixtures of course)

By a list I mean: Aqua roll, wastemaster, plates, cutlery etc.

Thanks again.

Rubix

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Linda,

That is a big difference in price. I was thinking in joining the CC, but weren't sure about the C&CC. I have however heard that they complement each other, rather than compete with each other.

Thanks for that Linda

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rubix,

If you go to :-

www.oakwood-village.com

you will see the heading "Don't forget anything"( Highlighted in red )These lists can be printed off for reference.Every-one starting off always forget something!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Rubix

Have a serious look at a trailer tent - its advantages over a normal tent are that it is very robust, accepted at all CC sites which tents are not. Can give you a decent bed and it won't force use to have to change your car.

They can also be stored in a domestic garage and can be picked up relatively cheaply

Good luck

MH

Aug 5, 2006
Visit site
hi folks firstly you dont have to spend thousands on a caravan we spend five hundred pounds and have everthing init always looks abit daunting when you look in magazines / dealers

at prices

secondly i use the bigger sites and in most cases are 13 /16 pounds per night and have entertaiment if thats what you want

but you just need to look around and noy rely on club sites

matthew

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

The caravan club has a list of equipment that you may require on its web site. In the past there have also been lists put together by PC forum members for people new to caravanning. Its worth remembering places such as Argos sell sleeping bags etc. The Internet is also worth using, you can look at things such as awnings etc at the local dealers then shop around for the best price on the internet. You can also use the dealers web sites to have a look at what caravans they have in stock, new and used.

We stop on CC sites, due to the ages of the kids, now at weekends and during school holidays. CC sites do have a laundry room, with washing machines etc, which we find useful at times and also a play area. With a caravan you have your own things, own meal times, kids have their own toys etc.

We have just returned from a 16 night holiday, our 2 cats went into the cattery for 18 nights. Our cattery bill was just over

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rubix,

Don't you know hotels are for those who cannot afford to caravan!

Only kidding. Have never had a new caravan myself and usually kept vans for eight years or more.

Wee story: Many moons ago Molly and I were caravanning with friends near Arisaig on the Scottish west coast. We had been on Ardnamurchan and had phoned ahead to see if there were two pitches available. "Och yes, we'll make room for you" said a lovely Highland voice. When we turned up they were "making room" for us by scytheing another part of a hay field.

When Ronnie and I went to square up when we were leaving, the owner, Jessie MacDonald, said "Mr. Steele, you and Mr. scott did not have very good pitches - its 40p a night but I will just be charging you 20p - mind you I wouldn't do that for the English - some of them are terrible moaners"

A toilet block was being built but Jessie told us progress was slow because of the exceptionally good weather the workmen lay on the beach all day, figuring, like the Spanish, that tomorrow was another day.

Rob S.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts