CC Sites & Wardens.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
For reasons that have been well documented by several posters on here and elsewhere - I have never had the inclination to use CC sites because of the 'Warden' culture. (Yes I know there are differing opinions - but there are also differing personalities, so for the purpose of this post let's just accept it as fact!)

My question is, how many CC sites are there that are small enough not to have wardens, and if you stay on them, is there likely to be other caravanners there who would take it upon themselves to ask you to move your caravan 3cms to the left?

Slightly, toungue in cheek, but otherwise quite serious,
Regards,
Steve.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
steffanos said:
Hi, For reasons that have been well documented by several posters on here and elsewhere - I have never had the inclination to use CC sites because of the 'Warden' culture. (Yes I know there are differing opinions - but there are also differing personalities, so for the purpose of this post let's just accept it as fact!) My question is, how many CC sites are there that are small enough not to have wardens, and if you stay on them, is there likely to be other caravanners there who would take it upon themselves to ask you to move your caravan 3cms to the left? Slightly, toungue in cheek, but otherwise quite serious, Regards, Steve.

We have never had a problem with a CC warden but plenty with C & CC wardens who model themselves on dictators which si why we would never join the C & CC again! the only thing the C & CC have got right is their booking system as many of their sites are vastly inferior to CC sites.

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I would never attend a site where there wasnt someone in charge to take control of things. Im a member of C&CC and never had a problem with Wardens who have been very freindly and helpful, stopping for random chats if they were passing your pitch etc. The only problem i had was in Scotland where i felt very 'foriegn' being an english man and wouldnt give us the time of day but was very freindly to the scottish campers behind us.

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I`ve never had a problem with CC wardens (even the Scottish ones) although we are from Carlisle, so have been Scottish in the past
smiley-wink.gif
I would be concerned if there was no warden on a site, local knowledge is a wonderful thing, especially in an emergency.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
We have never had a problem with a CC warden but plenty with C & CC wardens who model themselves on dictators which si why we would never join the C & CC again! the only thing the C & CC have got right is their booking system as many of their sites are vastly inferior to CC sites.
Perhaps you rub the C&CC wardens up the wrong way by claiming that C&CC sites are 'vastly inferior to CC sites' without any hard fact based evidence to substantiate your claim Surfer.
I've never had any problem with wardens on any C&CC site that I've stayed on, in fact the majority of them have gone out of their way to be friendly and helpful
smiley-wink.gif

I've never had a problem with a CC warden either nor am I ever likely to because the constant moaning and groaning and carping about other clubs and other caravanners from CC members puts me off completely so I'll never join the CC whatever happens.
I'm sure that the CC sites and wardens are very good, it's what I read on this and other forums from the CC members that's the problem.
smiley-surprised.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been staying on both CC and CCC sites for around 40 years now, and have never had anything but polite and helpful interactions with all the wardens I've come into contact with. Anyone who choses to join the CC or not on the basis of being worried about interacting with their wardens is really a tentpole or two short of a campsite IMHO !

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I can't really understand the gist of this post
smiley-undecided.gif

Why would the CC leave a site without a warden, or even volunteer wardens like they do at a few sites?
Nothing like a site where it's a free for all and chaos reigns. Without anyone of authority on the site I wouldn't think any members would be able to get on, or even wish to, because within no time I'm sure it would have been taken over by travellers.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've been on quite a few CC sites, and only met friendly and helpful wardens at every one. I really don't know what sort of answer you're looking for here, but obviously we've not been on the same sort of sites you have! All the wardens we've ever met have been friendly, helpful, and sometimes downright 'self-sacrificing' in view of the sort of c..p they have to put up with from some 'members'!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, wardens are wardens and I dare say there are good and bad. I'm pleased to say I havn't, as yet, met a bad one. I'm only a member of the CC so can't comment and wouldn't comment on CC&C without first hand knowledge. On a recent visit to the CC site Rowntree Park at York, I was instructed on arrival, to ensure my vans off side rear corner was to the peg or I would be told to move to that position. Fair enough, at least I know whats required and their was no offence taken by me in that. I didn't ask why, but I suspect its to comply with the fire regulations for that site and not a warden quirk that they require regimentality.
smiley-laughing.gif
Parksy, I can't understand why you would never join the CC because of the moaning? What about all the silent majority that don't and enjoy the CC facilities on a regular basis.
smiley-laughing.gif

Only reason I haven't joined the CC&C is because Im quite happy, at the moment, with the few CC and comercial sites that I visit. I wouldn't be put off with the few moans of the few, after all, we are human and entitled to the odd MOAN.
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Val A. said:
and sometimes downright 'self-sacrificing' in view of the sort of c..p they have to put up with from some 'members'!

You only have to look at some of the posts and attitudes on forums like this to see that a wardens patience would be sorely tested if the posters carry the same attitude to the camp site
smiley-yell.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Let's see. If you arrive 5 minutes before 12pm at a C & CC site, you are fined an amount of money which could be £10! When you book into reception, the warden takes you to a pitch and that is where you ahve to pitch and if you dare argue, the rest of your stay is made miserable! Come Sunday if you are not off the pitch by exactly 12pm you get harrassed even though no other caravans are coming onto the site for the rest of the day. If you approach the warden and ask if it is possible to stay on a few hours longer, invariably you have to pay for another night. With the exception of one site that we visited, generally we found the standards to be below CC sites. On the site that was okay, the wardens were really snotty!.
I have never had any of the above problems with CC sites or wardens.

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You must have been in a different C&CC to me as ive done all of those things you mention and not had any of the issues you state.
when the site is full, you generally get allocated pitches on a first come first served basis and depending on your unit type / length/ need for awning etc. I have asked to choose a different pitch and if they have room they normally arent fussed. They just amend their notes in the site book.
Ive never been 'fined' any money for arriving early but taking your point in question. Lets look at the flipside.
for eg. You have arrived just after 12pm, abiding to the rules etc. ready to be shown your pitch. Yet you are told "im sorry sir, but the person on your pitch hasnt left yet as they wanted to stay a few hours longer. We have asked them to move but they have been abusive and called our sites inferior to CC sites."..... what would you say?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
andy72 said:
Ive never been 'fined' any money for arriving early but taking your point in question.

I have. Winchcombe.
Arrived at 11.45 and was pleased to get there because my indicators had packed up. Explained to the lady warden why early, apart from it's not easy to judge travelling times, but she wasn't interested. £5 please or you can go back out until midday. Rather than risk it with no indicators we paid up. Cheaper than writing the caravan off because anyone aware of the site will know the speed traffic travels at on that road.
Then followed her hubby to our allocated pitch and pitched up after him telling me where to go regarding the peg. This one didn't stand and watch to make sure I'd pitched right. Our pitch was opposite some morons in a tent who thought it hilarious watching their moronic sprogs trying to hit the ducks with a tennis raquet. This was after the moronic parents chased the ducks trying to kick them. After me exiting the caravan and telling the sweet little cherubs to leave the ducks alone the moronic parents couldn't give a *****. They totally ignored me as if I wasn't there despite me yelling at their angels. By then though they were well oiled with wine bottles littering the grass.
In fairness there were two other families in tents to the front of us and they had lovely kids who used to feed the ducks. As I said in another post, all it takes is one set of cretins to spoil your week.
And no, I didn't report it to the wardens. If they weren't interested in us having an accident I'm sure their feelings wouldn't extend to what happened to a few ducks.
Like someone else posted, I wrote to the C&CC and received a reply saying basically the wardens were only implementing the rules. Silly me to expect anything else
smiley-smile.gif

We did encounter wardens with a far worse attitude than those at Winchcombe. These were at the C&CC Rhandirmyn site but that's another story
smiley-frown.gif

Thankfully the rest have been ok.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have been caravanning for over 25 years and been a member of both clubs in the past. I never had any problem with wardens until last year.

We used to caravan as a group of 6 caravans in our family circle and at one particular site in the Gower by Port Eynon, we were allowed to pitch in a circle like the cowboys used to do. The site owner (Adrian) was brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble. Mind you I guess 6 pitch fee's had a part to play.

However, as most of you know, I'm currently fulltiming in our van. The site we use in the summer is a lovely site of 5 star rating (questionable) and a silver bellamy (definately questionable)site. It has good facilities but if it was in a popular area it would be well out classed. Two years ago the wardens changed and thats when the fun started. I got told to turn my car wind deflector round to hide the holiday stickers on it as there was "too much of a circus going on", then I couldn't have my 11ft sailing dinghy at the caravan for a couple of hours to set up some new sails. But a motorhome can have a smart car and a 4 wheel trailer that looks like it was ex grass track parked on their pitch. Then there's no washing your car on the site, despite the warden doing his every sunday with the motorhome hosepipe.
Now we're banned from using the laundry sink taps in winter to fill aqua rolls and that will be despite the site taps being frozen!

So there you have it a lovely site except the wardens. It's fine to have people in charge but what I don't like is those who display "don't do as I do, but do as I say" attitudes.

In both my work and social life, I have mixed with Sir's,Lords and celebraties and often when meeting for the first time, they comment about my level attitude to people. I then explain that we all use the same "facilities of daily life", which usually brings a chuckle.

In caravanning you could very well be sharing the same field with A dustman, barister, doctor, or a policeman, but because we extend the same polite banter, you wouldn't guess the differences. Well until you meet a self appointed "jobsworth".

There's always going to be a square peg trying to get everyone to fit in his round hole.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
andy72 said:
Ive never been 'fined' any money for arriving early but taking your point in question.

I have. Winchcombe.
Arrived at 11.45 and was pleased to get there because my indicators had packed up. Explained to the lady warden why early, apart from it's not easy to judge travelling times, but she wasn't interested. £5 please or you can go back out until midday. Rather than risk it with no indicators we paid up. Cheaper than writing the caravan off because anyone aware of the site will know the speed traffic travels at on that road.
Then followed her hubby to our allocated pitch and pitched up after him telling me where to go regarding the peg. This one didn't stand and watch to make sure I'd pitched right. Our pitch was opposite some morons in a tent who thought it hilarious watching their moronic sprogs trying to hit the ducks with a tennis raquet. This was after the moronic parents chased the ducks trying to kick them. After me exiting the caravan and telling the sweet little cherubs to leave the ducks alone the moronic parents couldn't give a *****. They totally ignored me as if I wasn't there despite me yelling at their angels. By then though they were well oiled with wine bottles littering the grass.
In fairness there were two other families in tents to the front of us and they had lovely kids who used to feed the ducks. As I said in another post, all it takes is one set of cretins to spoil your week.
And no, I didn't report it to the wardens. If they weren't interested in us having an accident I'm sure their feelings wouldn't extend to what happened to a few ducks.
Like someone else posted, I wrote to the C&CC and received a reply saying basically the wardens were only implementing the rules. Silly me to expect anything else
smiley-smile.gif

We did encounter wardens with a far worse attitude than those at Winchcombe. These were at the C&CC Rhandirmyn site but that's another story
smiley-frown.gif

Thankfully the rest have been ok.

We have had two bad experiences at Winchcombe funnily enough and would neve go back there again. It was the very first site we visited when we first started caravanning over here in 2004. Horrible wardens!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I thought we had had one or two difficult wardens on CC sites, and that is when we only use them 2 or 3 times a year but after reading about C&CC issues they look posotivley helpful . We once turned up at 8:45 in the morning without problems and generally have been able to negociate a late departure though not always accepted with good grace on wardens part. We certainly have never been asked to pay for another night for the sake of a couple of hours. After one experiance with the CC foreign touring department I did send for the C&CC application form but I am glad I didnt bother now.
David

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Surfer said:
We have had two bad experiences at Winchcombe funnily enough and would neve go back there again. It was the very first site we visited when we first started caravanning over here in 2004. Horrible wardens!

Just checked our diary and it was 2004 when we visited the site. It seems as though it was the same people. From my past posts people will see I generally support wardens but the worse of the pair of them was the wife. At least when my lights failed again on leaving he didn't charge another days site fee but his wife wasn't there to over rule him.
It turned out to be a fuse on the car that was causing the lights to fail. Got it fixed before leaving. As I posted above these wardens were kittens compared to those at Randirmyn. A whole family got a tongue lashing off the pair of wardens and we were told off like naughty kids because only my wife had her membership card. The woman told me in no uncertain terms that she will let me off at that time but not to let it happen again. At least she didn't wag her finger under my nose like she did to the hubby of the family
smiley-smile.gif

It was 2004 we left the C&CC because of those experiences but re-joined last year. So far have only visited Norwich but have booked a week at Delamere Forest for later this year.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
steffanos said:
Hi, For reasons that have been well documented by several posters on here and elsewhere - I have never had the inclination to use CC sites because of the 'Warden' culture. (Yes I know there are differing opinions - but there are also differing personalities, so for the purpose of this post let's just accept it as fact!) My question is, how many CC sites are there that are small enough not to have wardens, and if you stay on them, is there likely to be other caravanners there who would take it upon themselves to ask you to move your caravan 3cms to the left? Slightly, toungue in cheek, but otherwise quite serious, Regards, Steve.
Tongue out of cheek Steve
With one exception three years ago at Freshwater East I have never had any problems with the CC Wardens. FIL fault he left 25 yards of skid marks over the grass.
In fact some of them have made our stay so enjoyable we have treated them to a bottle of wine as a thankyou.
It is important to reflect these wardens live a semi nomadic life , often hundreds of miles away from their families, working very hard for not a great salary.
Ok their choice but sometimes in the real world , needs must etc.
Sites with no wardens
smiley-undecided.gif

No No. Who would be responsible for H&S, cleaning the showers , toilets, chemical disposal points and cutting the grass , emtying all the rubbish bins , Oh no no please keep the Wardens
smiley-innocent.gif

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Surfer said:

Just checked our diary and it was 2004 when we visited the site. It seems as though it was the same people. From my past posts people will see I generally support wardens but the worse of the pair of them was the wife. At least when my lights failed again on leaving he didn't charge another days site fee but his wife wasn't there to over rule him.
It turned out to be a fuse on the car that was causing the lights to fail. Got it fixed before leaving. As I posted above these wardens were kittens compared to those at Randirmyn. A whole family got a tongue lashing off the pair of wardens and we were told off like naughty kids because only my wife had her membership card. The woman told me in no uncertain terms that she will let me off at that time but not to let it happen again. At least she didn't wag her finger under my nose like she did to the hubby of the family
smiley-smile.gif

It was 2004 we left the C&CC because of those experiences but re-joined last year. So far have only visited Norwich but have booked a week at Delamere Forest for later this year.
Turning up without your membership card eh....You b*****d

TRENDING THREADS