Celebrating today.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes I googled it and it was in 79, I had never realised it showed on there, another good thing that is easily found out by having a smart phone, there’s not much that you can’t find out in seconds.

BP

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It depends when you passed your test originally - the date on my licence refers to when I obtained a green paper licence in '76 rather than the little red book when I originally passed my test in '67.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My license has September 74 in column 10.
I passed my car driving test in 1965!
According to Wikipedia - "Originally, vehicle registration was the responsibility of Borough and County councils throughout Great Britain, a system created by the Motor Car Act 1903. The licensing system was centralised in 1974 and administered from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre (DVLC) "

Anyone who passed their test before 1974 won't have the correct date on their licence.

Reactions: Gafferbill
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My column 10 is much later than when I passed. I got my motorbike licence in 1963 using a friends Lambretta as I had to sell my beloved Excelsior Talisman Twin to pay a fine. First rode the Lambretta 30 minutes before the test. Insurance?? Car licence a year later in 1964.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Carry on about driving test. Passed in 1954, My last driver instructor . made me go down Mile end road to Blackwell Tunnel ! , over to New Cross , more !, and back through Rother Hyde Tunnel . For those that do not know these places they are the most congested places around . Quite frankly I do not remember my feelings going through the tunnels but would never send a learner driver there. The Instructor told me he wanted to see something in New Cross?. Non of these places had I been to before.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Carry on about driving test. Passed in 1954, My last driver instructor . made me go down Mile end road to Blackwell Tunnel ! , over to New Cross , more !, and back through Rother Hyde Tunnel . For those that do not know these places they are the most congested places around . Quite frankly I do not remember my feelings going through the tunnels but would never send a learner driver there. The Instructor told me he wanted to see something in New Cross?. Non of these places had I been to before.
Were they congested back in 1954? I was watching an old film from the fifties yesterday and it showed various areas around London and it looked like the phrase "traffic jam" did not exist then as hardly any cars on the roads. Mainly buses. Granted it may have been filmed on a Sunday. LOL!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cars were significantly narrower in those days so if Rotherhithe tunnel felt constricted then, imagine what it's like now.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

In about 1964 I told the instructor when I was picked up for lesson 1 that I had had a little practice, He put me straight into the drivers seat. We went down two estate roads then left onto the Liverpool ring road. Liverpool FC were at home that evening and the dual carriageway was solid. Such fun.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In about 1964 I told the instructor when I was picked up for lesson 1 that I had had a little practice, H put me straight into the drivers seat. We went down two estate roads then left onto the Liverpool ring road. Liverpool FC were at home that evening and the dual carriageway was solid. Such fun.

John
Hi John Bet you had a nice time driving on lesson 1 what was the next one like :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I remember having a Hillman Imp it was such good fun
Lovely little car. We had a Singer Chamois and at least once a month would travel from Plymouth to Leicester with two kids, the Jack Russell and cat. When solo I would place a large bag of sand into the front boot to help keep it in line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts