changing to a heavier van.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Have been towing for quite a few years,currently towing with a 2.0lt 140Bhp mondeo (Diesel) Kw of 1571kg & pulling a van of 1291 Kg. Towing @ 82%

Have been looking at replacing the van with one a bit bigger( swift utopia with a MTPLM of 1500 Kg,iv'e worked this out @ 95%.

There is only her indoors & myself so probbably wont load upto the max,the van will have a motor mover fitted & i know i have to reduce this weight from the pay load (36Kg).

Would the mondeo do the job of towing this heavier van?

Any help & advice would be appreciated.

Laird Al.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Al,

The latest Mondeo has earned its self a good reputation as a tow car. as you don't tell us the exact model year and spec. of the car any advice must be taken as general rather than specific.

However it seems the 140bhp models are petrol. The information I have found suggests the kerbweights are nearer 1360Kg which makes your proposed outfit over 100%. I could not find a 140bhp diesel model in the database I use but the diesels do have a greater Kbw typically nearer 1550Kg

Mechanically the Mondeo seems to be rated to tow up to 1800Kg, and it does have enough power available, but a caravan at over or close to 100%is not to be recommended.

You really do need to double check the exact figures for Kerbweibghts etc.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
We had the old mondeo (JAG) and now have the New Moondeo (The tank - Volvo)

Both pulled our van nicely but we don't have a heavy van yet!!

The new mondeo is heavier and a bit sluggish on its own by that I mean the o-60 ratio.....doesn't have that g-force of the old one..... it's nealry 4000kgs towing and just over on the gtw.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I have double checked the figures,my car 2007 (07)new shape ford mondeo ghia,2.0Lt diesel 140bhp, KW 1571Kg,The previous owner had extra goodies fitted,bigger wheels (18"),sports kit lowered & stiffened suspention boot spoiler,sat nav,bluetooth etc.

Al

G

My only comments are that the modifications to your Mondeo are fine, for what they are. I mean the previous owner wished to 'sport' things up a bit but will that be neccesarily good for towing, I ask?

Large diameter wheels are fine but they usually make the ride harsher. They also have atendency to hit the inside of the wheel arches, I know as I have larger wheels fitted as a OEM to my car. Similarly a stiffened suspension may not be good for towing especially as it has been lowered. There will be less play for the back end to move once you add 75 kg of noseweight to the back end. Also your towhitch will be lower than on a normal car, so you may need to watch the line of the outfit when hooked up.

I am not saying it won't work, merely that the mods may or may not be advantageous. Power wise you should be ok.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Al

You have provided some more information, unfortunately the changes to the car may be significant and make less capable as a tow car.

If the overall wheel/tyre diameter is greater than the standard, that will change the overall ratio of the drive train. Lowered suspension will also lower the tow ball height, it must fall between 350 and 420 mm to the centre of the ball when connected to the caravan to be legal.

Because of these significant changes to the basic specification we cannot offer any safe advice for you, except that even greater care must be used when deciding what if any trailer is safe or appropriate.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have 2 Litre 140bhp mondeo estate and pull Ranger GT60 620/6 Twin axle 1555 kg MTPL (97%) . Car tows outfit comfortably and is very stable. Car is quite highly geared and is happier pulling this output in 5th rather than 6th gear. Fuel economy varies between 25MPG and 29MPG

Andy

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I notice all refer to HP or BHP, but not to torque and max towing weights.

I appreciate the 85% guide but is only a guide. You'll find the higher torque the car has at lower engine speed the better the pulling power not necessarily the case the higher the HP/ BHP. Since you need greater torque at lower speeds with a heavier van look at those details and towing max of the car this gives I feel, amore accurate answer to the original question.

The higher the torque coupled with higher BHP will usually mean good pulling ability thru to top gear.

Since we don't need to travel over 60 when towing concentrate on the torque i.e. your ability to tow heavy and pull away at a reasonable rate from junctions etc.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A high torque only makes for more relaxed driving. You can still get the same performance from a car with relatively low bottom end torque but otherwise good bhp. It just means that you have to use the gearbox a lot more to keep the revs up. After all, bhp is basically only torque times engine speed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts