Charging car battery?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why do you think I am posting on here? :unsure:
It's clear from the correspondence on the thread so far the combined knowledge of the PC contributors has not found the solution to your dilemma.

Your problem seems to be model specific. It's far more likely a forum dedicated to the make or model vehicle is far likely to have come across a similar dilemma and may have already worked out a practical solution.

You seem reluctant to use a Jeep dealer, I assume through distance and cost, so a forum dedicated to the marque and possibly model is far more likely to have more detailed knowledge and may already have an answer for your problem.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be posting on PCF, but it seems you are relying on it when there may be a better informed source of information.

Reactions: Tobes and Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SWMBO 8 year Kia oem battery let us down at sub zero degs last week. 12.6 v on multimeter after smart charging. Now looking for a new battery. As it’s a start stop the recommended battery is nearly twice the price. Circa £250.

So I’m not surprised the Jeep is nearly £500.

You have mentioned a number of weird electrical issues. I guess the only way to establish causation is plugging into Jeep’s diagnostic kit at a Dealer. If it is the battery and it fixes the issues all well and good. But if it doesn’t you may end up throwing money at replacing both batteries when the problem is something else.
Very annoying but that’s the problem with all this hi tech stuff today.

I googled Jeep battery problems and this cropped up. It tells me the life expectancy of Jeep batteries is not as good as other makes.Not sure who made your original battery?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It's clear from the correspondence on the thread so far the combined knowledge of the PC contributors has not found the solution to your dilemma.

Your problem seems to be model specific. It's far more likely a forum dedicated to the make or model vehicle is far likely to have come across a similar dilemma and may have already worked out a practical solution.

You seem reluctant to use a Jeep dealer, I assume through distance and cost, so a forum dedicated to the marque and possibly model is far more likely to have more detailed knowledge and may already have an answer for your problem.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be posting on PCF, but it seems you are relying on it when there may be a better informed source of information.
Thank you. I have tried other Jeep related sources, but my initial question was about charging the battery while connected in the vehicle and that question was answered more than adequately.

To clarify, my other main question was regarding the age of the battery which is why I posted a picture and also supplied the code. As batteries are generic to motor vehicles I was hoping that someone on here understand the coding for the age of the battery.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SWMBO 8 year Kia oem battery let us down at sub zero degs last week. 12.6 v on multimeter after smart charging. Now looking for a new battery. As it’s a start stop the recommended battery is nearly twice the price. Circa £250.

You have mentioned a number of weird electrical issues. I guess the only way to establish causation is plugging into Jeep’s diagnostic kit at a Dealer. If it is the battery and it fixes the issues all well and good. But if it doesn’t you may end up throwing money at replacing both batteries when the problem is something else.

I googled Jeep battery problems and this cropped up. It tells me the life expectancy of Jeep batteries is not as good as other makes.Not sure who made your original battery?

Didn't Beachball have some funny electrical gremlins on his Ford Tonneau which were thought to be battery related. There's no doubt modern cars are very integrated wrt their systems and the battery/alternator is a key part of the system. I recall the President of the Volvo Owners Club drove from Devon to London and did not like SS, so switched it off. On leaving London the car would not start and the Breakdown technician said it was because the SS was off for so long. Don't know if that was true or not but it was back in 2012.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

The original battery is supposed to have been a "Mopar" battery or probably a rebranded Bosch, Varta or Exide battery for Chrysler. They are definitely not worth +£500 before cost of fitting. The equivalent Bosch, Varta or Yuasa AGM battery is under £200 including fitting.

When it gets a bit warmer I will disconnect the aux battery from the main battery and measure it across the terminals. I am not sure how the aux battery is connected to the main battery, but assume that it is a simple plug in.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When I tested both batteries on my Volvo they gave different readings which said to me that they were separated by the electronics.

Both of them were AGM. The smaller used on some motorbikes and the larger a very common car size. 70AH and CCA 760, (same ad yours I think). I replaced both. I used known makes and paid about £140 for the large one, but that was a while ago. However, I can buy one today for £123

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't want to buy a battery until I know the age of the current battery. Plus at this point I do not know which battery is causing the issue.

I made the mistake of changing the AGM battery in the caravan as it was reading below 12v and was over 6 years old so assume it was past its expiry date. It is now at home and on charging it up it is now holding the charge at 12.6v and was used to power a TV through an inverter last week no issues.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The link below is supposed to help you identify the origins of a Varta or Bosch battery.
How about e mailing your photo to Bosch and ask them ?

Thanks I have tried just about every link and the end result did not make sense which is why I have been asking around on various forums, but no one seems to know for the Bosch battery. Unfortunately not the easiest battery to remove from under the seat to check for any other markings.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looking at the Q code on yours
B 22 08 110 3J7

B = made in Spain

22= ??
A = 2018

08= August
110= Day ie 11th
3J7 = battery model serial number
All according to a Russian Bosch site😎

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the Q code on yours
B 22 08 110 3J7

B = made in Spain

22= ??
A = 2018

08= August
110= Day ie 11th
3J7 = battery model serial number
All according to a Russian Bosch site😎
Thanks Dusty as I had similar for the year, but thought I got it wrong as the car was built in 2017 and normally the vehicle gets the Mopar battery which is a rebranded battery. However being the EU maybe the Bosch is the original battery.

If I am going to get it replaced, I might as well replace the aux battery at the same time.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If it's a 2017 car with a 2022 battery of different make to OE fitment, it's reasonable to assume that it was replaced at 5 years old but raises the question why the new battery needs replacing after just 2 years, a Bosch AGM is normally high quality.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If it's a 2017 car with a 2022 battery of different make to OE fitment, it's reasonable to assume that it was replaced at 5 years old but raises the question why the new battery needs replacing after just 2 years, a Bosch AGM is normally high quality.
According to the build sheet or VIN the car was manufactured in late 2017 although only registered in March 2018. We have had the vehicle since Aug 2022 and in that space of time we have not even done 10000 miles with the vehicle. It is mainly used for towing and long distance trips as we use the Corolla around town.

You are correct about the Bosch being a good quality battery and should last at least 4 -6 years even with Stop Start technology. Most times the Stop Start is switched off as even less drain on the battery.

Raining on and off today so cannot disconnect the aux battery to check. The other concern is losing settings if both batteries are removed at the same time. Scouring Jeep forums to see if there is any effect?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raining on and off today so cannot disconnect the aux battery to check. The other concern is losing settings if both batteries are removed at the same time. Scouring Jeep forums to see if there is any effect?
That’s my concern so I have asked my long trusted mobile mechanic to supply and fit a new AGM battery, Exide 3 year guarantee to the Kia. £250.59.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s my concern so I have asked my long trusted mobile mechanic to supply and fit a new AGM battery, Exide 3 year guarantee to the Kia. £250.59.
According to the more knowledgeable on Jeep forums the Jeep does not require the battery to be registered when it is changed which was a worry.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A Varta AGM for our Kia Rio (1.25 sewing machine)is quoted at £343 fitted by RAC mobile. 👎
On the RAC site I inputted my registration number and it came up with 3 batteries for the Jeep. However on checking details none of the batteries were suitable for Stop Start vehicles!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Earlier this week two different battery places told me that the battery needed replacing. Today while in Malvern I thought I would pop into ETB. One of the first questions the fitter asked me before checking the battery was whether the car had one or two batteries. At least he seemed to know more than the tow previous fitters.

Anyway he went under the hood unlike the other two previous fitters and did the tests. He then showed me the results and the battery reading was 12.6v! I am guessing that the terminals under the hood are for the main 12v battery. He could not test the aux battery while it was connected and he was not allowed to disconnect it.

I am now of the opinion that it is the aux battery that may be faulty. Although I can disconnect the negative terminal, I cannot remove the strap holding it down in place as I do not have a long enough extension for my socket set plus the the only rachet I have is the torque wrench which is just that bit to long anyway. What is a 1/4 inch square drive or a 3/8 square drive when dealing with Rachets?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just the size of the square hole in the drive end of each socket.

There is also half -inch and most likely bigger still for strong people.

John

John
Thanks I suspected as much, but needed confirmation. The sockets that I have are 1/2 inch.

As I will hardly ever use it a cheaper one with ext will do me fine. Back to searching on Amazon. LOL!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Anyway he went under the hood unlike the other two previous fitters and did the tests. He then showed me the results and the battery reading was 12.6v! I am guessing that the terminals under the hood are for the main 12v battery. He could not test the aux battery while it was connected and he was not allowed to disconnect it.
Do you know what test/tests he did? If you drove to him and he simply tested with a volt meter when you arrived it doesn't prove anything. I have a car battery in my garage that I know to be failing but it's been sat at 12.7 v for almost a month (off charge).
Your battery needs to be tested under load. I would expect a bespoke battery supplier to have the correct equipment to do this, but if not it can be done with a multimeter (ideally with min/max function). The procedure is to connect the meter across the battery terminals after it has stood for a few hours. The meter should read over 12.4 v on a good battery. Then start the car and measure the voltage across the battery as the starter motor turns the engine over. If it drops below 9v your battery is failing. If you're car starts within a second or two and the refresh rate of your meter is slow it can be difficult to see how much it drops, hence one with min/max is preferred.

Reactions: Dustydog and JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts