Chartres to Bordeaux

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
We will be traveling down through France in May and wondered about taking the number N10 road from Chartres that runs down to Bordeaux. As we will be in no rush it could be a more scenic route ? Also it almost follows the Toll road all the way down and could save us a few euros along the way.

Anyone done this route ? Good idea or not ?

PETERA

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
We did it the other way last year coming up from Bordeaux. It's generally a very good road but getting through Poitiers & Tours took some time so you might consider using the motorway to get around these places. The Satnav came in very handy through Tours in particular.

John M

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........I know this road very well and travelled on it in February and March this year towing a caravan.
It is a major north/south route much used by trucks and it can get very busy although I do not mind this myself, if you can travel on a Sunday it is much less busy.
The road is now mostly dual carriageway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,
If I could echo John Millers comments.
We have been through both Tours and Poiters using this road and whilst there isn't much in the way of problems in doing so, on one occasion I resat the computer re our fuel consuption for transitting Poiters. It revealed that, because of all the traffic lights and roundabouts, our car (an Audi 2.5 Estate towing a Swift) returned well under 10 to the gallon.
Guess who used the Autoroute the next time we were there. It paid for the diesel!!!

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've towed from Chartres to Bordeaux on the N10 for several years. As has been said, it's a route used by HGVs but Ive never found any great holdups. I always join the Autoroute just before Tours - necessary to pay .90cents, and then stay with it until junction 30 which is just south of Poitiers. Once back on the N10, towing progress is as quick as if you used the Autoroute to Bordeaux.

TRENDING THREADS