Cheap diesel

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If I was a cynical chap I would wonder if the fuel companies are being "leaned upon" by the Govt to keep diesel prices high to help "nudge" we mere mortals back towards petrol! Or of course towards lashing out on an EV.
But of course I am not cynical at all.
More like receiving more duty and tax because of high prices not just for fuel but other commodities and services too. Bit of a bonanza for HM Treasury either to drive our debt interest down, or to spend (bribe) on us in 2024. 🙈

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you had fully read my post the last line was:-

"Is it really worth going out of your way to make such slim savings?"

And I have just spotted a omission (corrected in green)

If your purpose include going shopping then that changes the financial considerations but if it was just to get fuel then it can easily becomes a false economy.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In Worcestershire diesel is on average about £1.66 a litre. About 40 miles down the M5 in Gloucestershire at the garage local to where we are staying it is £1.56 a litre. Nearly a 10p difference between two counties! I wonder why?
The garage mentioned above has dropped the price of diesel over night by another 3p! I have never seen it at £1.53 fro over a year.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you had fully read my post the last line was:-

"Is it really worth going out of your way to make such slim savings?"

And I have just spotted a omission (corrected in green)

If your purpose include going shopping then that changes the financial considerations but if it was just to get fuel then it can easily becomes a false economy.
However if the fuel tank is nearly empty and you are putting in 60 litres of fuel or more, is it false economy? If empty, my vehicle will take over 90 litres of diesel so there could be a savings?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
However if the fuel tank is nearly empty and you are putting in 60 litres of fuel or more, is it false economy? If empty, my vehicle will take over 90 litres of diesel so there could be a savings?
The post I responded to stated 50 litres, and my comment was based on the circumstances therein. The point of the post was to put in to context the perception that it was a good deal, because it's easy to forget the actual costs of running a vehicle especially in terms of cost per mile. When you factor in the costs per mile some of these apparent savings can become uneconomic.

I'm not saying ignore all such offers, and if you are going that way for another purpose them great, but for some marginal savings it has to be wondered if they are worth it.

One case in interest, It often can make sense to come off the motorway to find fuel, rather than pay the highly inflated cost at the motorway services. But you have to judge each case on its own merits.

Reactions: Tobes and Mr Plodd
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I never buy fuel on any motorway, here or on the continent.

I come off near a big town, and there always seems to be a garage within a few miles where fuel is considerably cheaper than that charged by the bandits operating the motorway services.

Lowest price in Weymouth is £1:59.9 but I can recall a period when it was £1:99.5 o_O

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The post I responded to stated 50 litres, and my comment was based on the circumstances therein. The point of the post was to put in to context the perception that it was a good deal, because it's easy to forget the actual costs of running a vehicle especially in terms of cost per mile. When you factor in the costs per mile some of these apparent savings can become uneconomic.

I'm not saying ignore all such offers, and if you are going that way for another purpose them great, but for some marginal savings it has to be wondered if they are worth it.

One case in interest, It often can make sense to come off the motorway to find fuel, rather than pay the highly inflated cost at the motorway services. But you have to judge each case on its own merits.
i do understand the point of your post and it does make a lot of sense especially if the difference is only 1p or 2p.

I never buy fuel on any motorway, here or on the continent.

I come off near a big town, and there always seems to be a garage within a few miles where fuel is considerably cheaper than that charged by the bandits operating the motorway services.

Lowest price in Weymouth is £1:59.9 but I can recall a period when it was £1:99.5 o_O
Same here. Weymouth was eye watering high last year. We normally stay at Eastfleet Farm however the last time we visited cost me over £350 for repairs to be car when a deer ran into the front nearside fender and this was in the town area!

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
going towards Lincoln on the A15 junction of A17 Holdingham roundabout last thursday diesel £1.56.9 same day on return £1.53.9 we live just off the A15 at Bourne cheapest price £1.59.9 would not dream of using motorway services they make enough money as it is .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

I’ve often wondered what fool fills up at a motorway SStn. Usually 20p above the average rate. Madness

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Who fills up on a motorway? Someone who has a company fuel card so isn't the one footing the bill must be top of the list!
We made that mistake once in France as never realised it was motorway services as it was just off the dual carriageway.
In Spain we have filled up at motorway services as prices not that much different to towns and due to long distances between towns it was no big deal. Never filled up at motorway services in the UK due to rip off prices.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
going towards Lincoln on the A15 junction of A17 Holdingham roundabout last thursday diesel £1.56.9 same day on return £1.53.9 we live just off the A15 at Bourne cheapest price £1.59.9 would not dream of using motorway services they make enough money as it is .
You are not on your own we would not fill up on a motorway petrol station

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Must admit that I have fuelled my cars on motorways in Britain as well as abroad. Does that make me
” a fool” ? My criteria on long haul’s particularly with a caravan behind is for a smooth stress free journey. I like to keep my fuel level above 1/4 so with some cars, particularly petrol, I would call in at a motorway services for a comfort break, and put a few gallons in if I felt it necessary. That way I could make best use of time, a commodity you cannot recoup. Having to depart the motorway to find a nearby fuel station didn’t make sense to me for the sake of a couple of pounds.

With diesels my criteria would be to reach Penrith with a quarter tank remaining and that I could do relatively easily. Petrols required an en route splash and dash. Of course if going south, west or east Penrith wasn’t too convenient 😂 but in those directions motorway long hauls weren’t such an option.
like Mr Plodd with the company car, or the company footing travel expenses, motorway prices did not bother me one jot.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and GaryB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We made that mistake once in France as never realised it was motorway services as it was just off the dual carriageway.
In Spain we have filled up at motorway services as prices not that much different to towns and due to long distances between towns it was no big deal. Never filled up at motorway services in the UK due to rip off prices.
Going through France to the south we invariably used autoroutes and would fuel up at their services as well as having to pay tolls where required. But it saved time and fuel on the long hauls and reduced the risk of picking up a municipal speeding fine on D roads where the local mayor wanted to boost the towns coffers.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....not only do some people have business cards to pay for fuel at motorway services they usually receive a discount on the advertised pump price.
When I had a truck I often filled up with 250 litres of diesel at Clacket Lane and received a massive discount making it convenient and cost effective.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
As others, I “buy fuel” at motorway services when towing as entry/exit tends to be easier, but I buy what I need rather than “fill up” so the financial assault is minimised! Some petrol stations can be tricky when towing, especially when busy.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Going through France to the south we invariably used autoroutes and would fuel up at their services as well as having to pay tolls where required. But it saved time and fuel on the long hauls and reduced the risk of picking up a municipal speeding fine on D roads where the local mayor wanted to boost the towns coffers.
Normally we would leave the ferry with a full tank which would normally be enough to reach our destination where we would stay over night. At that point I would fill up close by. I think the range on the old Jeep when towing was about 350 miles to a tank or about 5 hours towing so would need a long rest by then.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are on a journey, and you need to purchase fuel, you have a number of concerns, convenience, cost, time and distance. and sometimes it just suits your immediate needs to use motorway services fuel, even though it's more expensive.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ok , I am reminded by Clive that on my trips to Scotland we usually go non stop to Tebay Services for breakfast and a drink of diesel. That is the only time I use a M Way Stn. In desperation if the orange light came on then yes 20 litres to get us through. But no way bar Tebay would I do a complete refill unless I had a Gafferbill card👍.
No fool like an old fool😉😉

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never do more than about 250 miles in day with the caravan and never fill up at services. The only time I did they got £10 which was just enough to get where we were going. If you can make it to Carlisle there is a Tesco at J43, just turn left at the roundabout and also an ASDA just off the motorway at J44. Turn left at the junction and take the second exit at the first roundabout.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts