Cheap reliable tow car

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi hope you can give some advice.
I need to get a replacement tow car in the next 10 days 😫.
I’m so confused with weights , tow ball weights etc.
I’ve only got 3k to spend as hubby made redundant this month after only being there 6 months and I only work part time at the moment enough about that.
My caravan is a compass rambler 2004 18/4 which think is Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass:1425 kg..
I need a 4x4 as I’ve health issues and can’t get in and out of cars that are low down.
Please give me some idea of cars I need to be looking at.
Thank you

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
That’s a tall order! But there are plenty of well used Kia Sorentos that will fit the bill. They are not the most frugal but should satisfy your criteria and budget.
Thank you. I know it’s just we go away in 15 days and my car as failed MOT needs a lot of welding doing.
So the money and time that would cost I feel I’m better to change the car.

Reactions: USRoofer
Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. I know it’s just we go away in 15 days and my car as failed MOT needs a lot of welding doing.
So the money and time that would cost I feel I’m better to change the car.
Would you choose manual or automatic? I’ve seen a Santa fa 08 fit I don’t know anything about them

Reactions: USRoofer
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Would you choose manual or automatic? I’ve seen a Santa fa 08 fit I don’t know anything about them
They are great tow cars that if we’ll maintained are remarkably reliable and trouble free. Worth looking at and doing the necessary checks for MoT/ advisories, service history then a good look over it and a test drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepperpot 64

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I second Dustydog's suggestion.
I use a 2009 Mk 1 Kia Sorento crdi to tow our Abbey 620 and it never misses a beat.
Apart from routine servicing the only money that I've spent on it has been to have the air conditioning repaired.
The Kia is quite a comfortable car to drive or as a passenger, and if you can find a good used model with a full service history including the recalls from Kia, you won't go far wrong.
Edit: automatic transmission makes for a more relaxing tow.
The Santa Fe will be as good as a Sorento

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A 2008 Santa Fe is a reasonable towcar - the engine is an older unit that's less economical and less powerful than their recent 2.2 diesels and the automatic is "only" 6-speed but has a reasonable reputation. At that age, condition is everything.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a 08 Santa Fe, fantastic tug, 2.2 diesel. Only got rid of it at 100k as i retired and bought a New Santa fe. 2000kg towing limit. Towing that weight, you would probably get 25 to 30 mpg.
Auto always

Reactions: AnnKeith
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday daughter bought a 2017 Suzuki Vitara 1.6l auto and I was really impressed with all the gadgets that come standard with it and also the price.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good reputation for reliability and dealer support.
She also looked at Honda and an Audi. The Suzuki sales person was very pleasant, Honda sales person verging on pushy and Audi a total joke. Couldn't find the keys for the car she wanted to view and A1.
Honda HRV and Jazz s were nice although a bit over priced, but both heavier on fuel than Suzuki. Honda & Suzuki you can fit a spare wheel in the rear, but not in the A1 as that is where the battery was located. Living in a rural area probably a good idea to have a spare.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
She also looked at Honda and an Audi. The Suzuki sales person was very pleasant, Honda sales person verging on pushy and Audi a total joke. Couldn't find the keys for the car she wanted to view and A1.
Honda HRV and Jazz s were nice although a bit over priced, but both heavier on fuel than Suzuki. Honda & Suzuki you can fit a spare wheel in the rear, but not in the A1 as that is where the battery was located. Living in a rural area probably a good idea to have a spare.
The Suzuki Vitara was on our shortlist and like your daughter we found the sales person very good, as some seem to be quite condescending to women. That gets my wife ready for a quick exit from the dealership.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My local garage have just got a Nissan Pathfinder 06 2.5dci Aventura manual 139k on clock what are thoughts please
It will certainly tow your caravan and a heavier one if required. Pathfinders were generally considered good vehicles, but as has been said above you would need to check it out for service history etc. But at that age there could always be something that may crop up, but if bought from a dealer you do have the extra protection of U.K. consumer laws.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A Jazz as tow car🤪🤪

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When buying second hand I would worry less about the make, but look more at the condition and how well it has been looked after. For reliability Japanese cars are generally the best, but some others do well.
If getting in and out is a problem, possibly any SUV will be better but you really need to check the model and see how you get on. The choice is probably very personal and only you know what you can live with.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi perfectly possible to get a good 4x4 towcar for £3k- plenty to consider. I bought a high spec LWB shogun 3.2 Di-D auto 2 years ago for £3,400 - I reckon was very close to top book price . It's older (54 plate) but had been looked after. Tows very well. It's not the most fuel efficient vehicle but I don't do high miles in it, its comfortable, presentable and thus far its very reliable.IMG_20220821_134648.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts